Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Has anyone else had technical difficulties with the Southwest website and app this morning?
I have tried different browsers and eventually had to call to change our flights.
I found that by repeatedly refreshing, I finally was able to get into everything.

Just got back from our trip on Friday. We flew nonstop from Buffalo to MCO and back on Southwest. We flew out on Saturday 10/25 on the 9am flight, and landed about 20 minutes early at 11:20am. They didn't say how many were on our flight, but all middle seats and many seats in the back were empty. They served us water and graham crackers. On the way back, we flew home Friday on the 2pm flight and there were only 66 people out of 140 on our flight. They served us chex mix, brownie brittle, and water. Tons of empty seats. Everything on both flights seemed cleaned but we wiped down everything with our own wipes. Very quick and easy to get our luggage both ways.

Boarding process was a breeze - groups of 10 board at a time. In Buffalo, we did line up in groups of 10, but in Orlando, they just called groups of 10 to board immediately so there was no lining up in numerical order. We had EBCI (it was purchased pre-Covid), but would not have needed it. We got A35 and 36 on the way down, and A27 and 28 on the way back.

Overall, the entire process was smooth and efficient. If it weren't for NY's mandatory quarantine, we'd want to take advantage of this quiet flying time to travel more!

Just got back from our trip on Friday. We flew nonstop from Buffalo to MCO and back on Southwest. We flew out on Saturday 10/25 on the 9am flight, and landed about 20 minutes early at 11:20am. They didn't say how many were on our flight, but all middle seats and many seats in the back were empty. They served us water and graham crackers. On the way back, we flew home Friday on the 2pm flight and there were only 66 people out of 140 on our flight. They served us chex mix, brownie brittle, and water. Tons of empty seats. Everything on both flights seemed cleaned but we wiped down everything with our own wipes. Very quick and easy to get our luggage both ways.

Boarding process was a breeze - groups of 10 board at a time. In Buffalo, we did line up in groups of 10, but in Orlando, they just called groups of 10 to board immediately so there was no lining up in numerical order. We had EBCI (it was purchased pre-Covid), but would not have needed it. We got A35 and 36 on the way down, and A27 and 28 on the way back.

Overall, the entire process was smooth and efficient. If it weren't for NY's mandatory quarantine, we'd want to take advantage of this quiet flying time to travel more!
How did they handle the quarantine paper work at Buffalo? We are flying out of NY next week and are planning on getting tested but I'm curious how they are handling things.

How did they handle the quarantine paper work at Buffalo? We are flying out of NY next week and are planning on getting tested but I'm curious how they are handling things.
Things have changed now with Cuomo's new testing mandate, so I'm not sure how it will be different because we arrived when the 14 day quarantine requirement was still in effect. But in our experience, it was a joke. The National Guard was at the exit to the secured area handing out clipboards to everyone coming out. They told us one per family, and I stood there for a minute to review the questions (which were individual specific, so I wasn't even sure how to fill out one form for both DH and I). One of the National Guard men told me I just need to fill out my name, flight number, and phone number so that's what I did, and then I turned it in. No one checked for completeness or accuracy. I don't know whether they cross-reference the forms with arriving passenger manifests from that day, but if they are only relying on the forms, there's no way they have a good handle on who is required to be quarantining.

So you paid for EBCI and they didn't use the EBCI boarding process? They just let people board in groups of 10? That doesn't seem fair....what am I missing?

So you paid for EBCI and they didn't use the EBCI boarding process? They just let people board in groups of 10? That doesn't seem fair....what am I missing?

I think - at least this was our experience - that they board in groups of ten in order. So, if you had EBCI (for any reason) you still had your spot in line so-to-speak. They boarded A 1-10, then 11-20 and so on until they get to B boarding group, then C if needed. Not just random groups of 10.

I think - at least this was our experience - that they board in groups of ten in order. So, if you had EBCI (for any reason) you still had your spot in line so-to-speak. They boarded A 1-10, then 11-20 and so on until they get to B boarding group, then C if needed. Not just random groups of 10.
Yes my understanding is that they still go in the order they usually do - Preboards, Group A, Family Boarding, and so on, they are just doing it in smaller groups for social distancing reasons. It seems to vary from airport to airport though. Some make you line up in distanced groups of 10, some just call them.

I agree!

Yes my understanding is that they still go in the order they usually do - Preboards, Group A, Family Boarding, and so on, they are just doing it in smaller groups for social distancing reasons. It seems to vary from airport to airport though. Some make you line up in distanced groups of 10, some just call them.

DH & I went to Vegas in Sept and my cousin and I just got back from South Carolina and on both trips coming and going they just called each group of 10 (in order A1-10, 11-20, etc), but they didn't instruct people to line up in order. Some people were looking for their boarding number to go stand in that spot, but most people just gathered up by the gate agent to board, not paying attention to line up according to their boarding position number.

Ok...Gotcha..that makes sense. Thank you!

Not necessarily SW specific but more airlines in general...especially for those who fly more than me!

DH and I are thinking of shortening our trip by one night. Our flight home has been modified and I believe I can change it to the day prior for no fee or rate change (same flight just switching Friday night to Thursday night). When I look at the seat charts for both flights, Friday has a few booked but the Thursday flight seems to be wide open. Am I risking changing to a flight that is more likely to be canceled altogether?? We had flights canceled back in May (that trip wasn’t happening anyway) but are airlines still just straight up canceling flights? Don’t want to be stranded or have to pay for a flight with prices only a few days out...

Not necessarily SW specific but more airlines in general...especially for those who fly more than me!

DH and I are thinking of shortening our trip by one night. Our flight home has been modified and I believe I can change it to the day prior for no fee or rate change (same flight just switching Friday night to Thursday night). When I look at the seat charts for both flights, Friday has a few booked but the Thursday flight seems to be wide open. Am I risking changing to a flight that is more likely to be canceled altogether?? We had flights canceled back in May (that trip wasn’t happening anyway) but are airlines still just straight up canceling flights? Don’t want to be stranded or have to pay for a flight with prices only a few days out...
Yes, airlines are continuing to adjust their schedules frequently and cancelling flights, even close to flight date, Is not unheard of.

Don’t think other passengers being on the flight makes a difference. If the airline feels that flight won’t work, for whatever reason, they will move/cancel it. Best advice is vigilance and flexibility.

I have a companion pass, my husband is my designated companion. If I book a ticket with points for myself I know that my taxes and fees are fully refundable. When I add his companion ticket, I think his taxes and fees are non-refundable, meaning that if I cancel the flight he can only get travel funds but not a refund to the credit card. Is that correct? This is for an international ticket so the taxes and fees are much more than the typical $5.60 so I'm debating waiting to add him.

I have a companion pass, my husband is my designated companion. If I book a ticket with points for myself I know that my taxes and fees are fully refundable. When I add his companion ticket, I think his taxes and fees are non-refundable, meaning that if I cancel the flight he can only get travel funds but not a refund to the credit card. Is that correct? This is for an international ticket so the taxes and fees are much more than the typical $5.60 so I'm debating waiting to add him.
I cancelled a companion ticket a few weeks ago and was able to select a refund for the taxes/fees. It was a domestic fare, so I don't know if anything changes for international.

I cancelled a companion ticket a few weeks ago and was able to select a refund for the taxes/fees. It was a domestic fare, so I don't know if anything changes for international.
Same. I have cancelled a ton of companion tickets (all domestic flights) and gotten taxes refunded each time no problem.

I have credit for a flight I cancelled in May. The web site says I can convert the credit to rapid rewards. The wording is a bit confusing. Can I use the reward for gift cards and for a future trip?

I have credit for a flight I cancelled in May. The web site says I can convert the credit to rapid rewards. The wording is a bit confusing. Can I use the reward for gift cards and for a future trip?

Your Flight credit can be used for a future flight through 9/07/22. Flight must be completed by that date, and the credit can only be used to book a flight for the passenger to whom the credit was issued. You can't use the credit for someone else.

Travel credits cannot be used to purchase gift cards.

SW is allowing customers who canceled flights prior to September, to convert the travel credit to Rapid Reward Points. This must be done by 12/15/20. Rapid Reward Points do not expire. They can be used, by you, to book a flight for anyone. This is a good deal for most people if they are somewhat frequent SW flyers.

If you think you'll fly before the credit expires on 9/07/22, and you're not a regular SW customer, keeping the Travel Credit is probably the better move. Make sure you understand ALL the ramifications of RR Points before you convert.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter