Post Pandemic Pipe Dreams: Our 2022-23 PTR (Completed)

We’re Back!!

OK, so we’ve actually been back for a week, but oh my goodness, that was a rough return to reality! We flew home on a Sunday and Hubby had to turn right back around on Monday and drive down to Virgina for a work trip. I feel like I’ve been just barely staying ahead of my must-do responsibilities this week, but we have a nice slow weekend to catch up, finally!

As to the magical birthday in Disney, we had an amazing trip and the girls are already asking when we can cruise with the mouse again. It wasn’t quite the trip we were planning, though. I’d been watching this exact week for literally years because of how Jersey week lined up with the girls’ birthday and one of the latest hurricanes to ever hit Florida decided to join us. Darn you, Nicole!!! I haven’t decided on a full TR or an addendum to August, but I’ll definitely be sharing my thoughts after I get through August’s report.

Meanwhile, I have nine year olds!

zff16iFh.jpg

r4U9b2Bh.jpg

Next up on the vacation docket is the Christmas surprise trip to Rocking Horse Ranch and Manhattan. Then, there’s Grand Cayman in April and San Diego / Disneyland for August, both of which I can talk openly about in front of the kids, thank goodness! The surprise was totally worth it, they were flying high for the whole day, but it was *hard* to keep that up for so long! It’ll be nice to plan the next few with their input and excitement as well.

Life Update: I don't remember if I've specifically referenced it here, but I've been trying to identify the cause of some vague health issues since May 2022. It turns out I have Hodgkins lymphoma. This particular cancer has an extremely high cure rate, but that cure is 6 months of chemo. While I'm glad to have an excellent prognosis, chemo is clearly going to suck. I'm one treatment in and doing ok, but we've got a ways to go.

We cancelled Grand Cayman because it'll be smack dab in the middle of my treatments, but hoping to keep Cali on the books. In the meantime, I haven't been feeling particularly DisBoard-y of late, so I'm not sure if/when I'll be back on this PTR. Just wanted to let everyone know that I didn't fall off the face of the earth, I'm going to be fine, but it's going to be tough for a while. Who knows? Maybe I'll decide chemo infusion time is a great time for updating, but I think it's more likely I'll just binge my way through every streaming service I've been too cheap to subscribe in thus far!

Life Update: I don't remember if I've specifically referenced it here, but I've been trying to identify the cause of some vague health issues since May 2022. It turns out I have Hodgkins lymphoma. This particular cancer has an extremely high cure rate, but that cure is 6 months of chemo. While I'm glad to have an excellent prognosis, chemo is clearly going to suck. I'm one treatment in and doing ok, but we've got a ways to go.

We cancelled Grand Cayman because it'll be smack dab in the middle of my treatments, but hoping to keep Cali on the books. In the meantime, I haven't been feeling particularly DisBoard-y of late, so I'm not sure if/when I'll be back on this PTR. Just wanted to let everyone know that I didn't fall off the face of the earth, I'm going to be fine, but it's going to be tough for a while. Who knows? Maybe I'll decide chemo infusion time is a great time for updating, but I think it's more likely I'll just binge my way through every streaming service I've been too cheap to subscribe in thus far!
I want to encourage you to be brave and positive through your treatments. My father went through chemo for Stage 3 Rectal Cancer and is 6 years in remission at age 88. It will be tough. Ask questions and get recommendations for salves and medications to help with side effects. Accept help and know that there are complete strangers out there who care about you and hope you have the best possible outcome.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad the cure rate is high, but know that will be tough to go through. I will be thinking of you, and hope you find some really good shows to binge during this time!

I am so sorry you have to go through this. Medical issues and treatments are never fun but I am very glad to know that it's something with a very high cure rate, at least that part is good news! We are here if there are days you need cheerleaders and people to chat with. I get you on the binge watching, I've also had medical issues in the past year which have limited my energy and capacity and I wasn't ever one to watch TV but I've ended up watching a lot of it in the past year! I will be keeping you in my thoughts. Remember to be kind to yourself and take care of yourself.

So sorry you have to go through this. Know people will be thinking of you and can't wait to hear an update down the road of whatever trip you plan once this is behind you! Stay strong.

I am so sorry to hear this! I hope you are doing ok. I hope you and the family are doing ok. I know it can be alot with the girls and school and all that.

Stay strong! And fingers crossed about going to CA still. We might have to cancel our CA trip but hoping we can still make it work.

Hi I just found your trip reports through reading others that you also read. I’m so sorry to hear you are having health issues and am crossing my fingers that all goes smoothly with your treatment. Chemo is rough but there’s also lots of things that can help with it so tell your drs your fears and what you need. Please know that we are all rooting for you and here for you. Be kind to yourself and hang in there. Sending you luck☘️☘️☘️

Hope all goes easier for you than anticipated. You have many people who are thinking and caring about you.

Several years ago I didn't have chemo but very complicated surgery on a badly 3-bone broken ankle and was in pain for a long time and depressed about it.

Lovely people I worked with gave me a large box set of "Big Bang Theory" and even though I had prior seen some of the episodes, I found myself 'getting away from reality for a while via a diversion' and smiling.

Hope you are able to do that with your streaming.
Good luck to you.

Howdy, Partners!

First, thank you all for your kind comments regarding my diagnosis. I truly appreciate all of your concern and well wishes. (If we’re being honest, I feel a little guilty about it. I’m incredibly lucky that my cancer diagnoses included an extremely high cure rate and I feel like I’m getting sympathy that should be reserved for disease with worse outcomes. But, I digress…)

I’m 50% through my treatments and 100% over it, so not the best math. Truly, it’s not SO so bad. I have treatment ever two weeks: within them are 3 crappy days, 2 feeling better days, and then a solid 9 very good days. I’m able to run again during the good stretch, which is awesome, but feeling so good every other Thursday makes it hard mentally to go sit my butt down in the infusion chair knowing I’m about to get kicked back again. I had interim scans after my first two months and my cancer showed a “complete metabolic response” AKA awesome news! Of course, my brain decided, “If we’re feeling so good and our scans are so good, do we really, really, need to do this for another four months???” I understand the protocol, I’m not just going to go AWOL or anything, but it’s extraordinarily frustrating. 😡

So frustrating, in fact, that I booked a rage vacation! Somewhere along the mental path of being mad that I have two Southwest CPs that I can’t use all summer and getting some points back on our August flights, I decided that having enough points meant we should force one more round-trip in before the end of 2023. The girls' school goes half days the first week of December for conferences, so they don't miss that much instruction time. And, since Hurricane Nicole completely derailed what should have been our day at the Poly in November, I went full money-is-just-a-construct and booked 5 nights at the Poly! I have since already reigned things in and booked a 2 Poly – 3 CBR split. The rough draft is:

Tues- Check in Poly, enjoy the resort, do HDDR (Hurricane Nicole also took this from us)

Weds- RD HS, maybe hop to Epcot as well on the way to MK for fireworks dessert party and deluxe after hours, likely until 1am

Thurs- Poly check out, but hang at the resort and enjoy for a while more. At some point, get bags to CBR, have an early dinner, and do the Christmas party

Fri- Wake up when we wake up for AK, hop to EP for evening to enjoy candlelight processional and fireworks

Sat- MK RD, maybe hop to EP if we want to do more there, definitely end the night at HS for Fantasmic

Sun- home we go. If we can get a late flight, one-way car rental to do a day at Kennedy Space Center (the kids have been asking about it) before heading to the airport. SW flights drop May 4th, wish us luck!

This plan lets us have some good resort time and the deluxe after hours during the days that we’re paying Poly prices, then has us going hard at the parks when we’ve got the cheaper accommodations. I don’t love that we’re going deluxe to moderate, as I know that can be a bummer, but the deluxe has to be on the front end to use the late MK hours.

This trip is still in addition to San Diego and Anaheim in August and a Disney cruise in November. We’d be on two big vacations in less than a month, which is admittedly bonkers. On the other hand, I have freaking cancer and I want to and I can afford to, so reasonable decision making can go pound sand!

The unbelievable thing is that everyone in my life that I’ve told thus far has said, “Yes, do this, go for it!” No one has suggested picking either the cruise or the parks in November (the obvious correct choice when one is levelheaded) including Hubby. Truly, he’s the one that even got me started down this path! When the room discount dropped, he started trying to finagle a World trip over the summer, until I reminded him that, after chemo, I still have a) several weeks before my immune system can handle crowds, b) my final scans, c) my port removal, etc. There’s just not enough time between all of that and California to make another trip. (There’s also not enough time between getting home from a cruise 11/12 and flying to Florida on 12/5, but I’m just going to pretend otherwise!)

So, who is going to talk some sense into me? Anyone? Bueller? Certainly no one who cares enough about Disney trips to visit these boards!! That’s why it’s safe to come tell you all about my wild planning. :rotfl:

Ummmm.... @TheOneWithTheTriplets I am 100% totally NOT going to tell you to drop a trip!!

You're going through a lot right now and I'm all for the idea that having exciting things to look forward to in the future, such as a fabulous Disney trip, is just what I would need to keep me pushing through!!

I always feel like life is easier to handle when its a little crazy busy - or maybe that's just how my life ends up?? :rotfl2:

DH & I head to Cocoa Beach in 2 weeks (and 2 day trips to AK & HS) and he's interviewing for a new position within his company that would move us to FL :-)hyper2:) and my youngest moves into his first apartment mid-August (he's a Sr in college) and my oldest gets married in late July - and IF DH gets this job then we'd need to move late August...

we technically have a trip to Vegas in October (to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary :love:) but I really want to squeeze in a long weekend trip to Disney in December (especially if DH doesn't get the new job) to go to the Christmas party...

AND we have a family trip to Disney in late February 2024 to take our oldest and our new DIL....and her first trip..which Im super stoked to plan..

and I know my life events have nothing on your life events, but IT WILL ALL WORK OUT so take ALL the trips, make ALL the memories and don't look back!

:flower1::flower1::flower1::flower1::flower1:

So glad to hear from you and that you are doing well! I'm also loving all your trips coming up!! (pretty jealous over here but super happy for you guys!) Hopefully we'll see some trip reports from those, I love reading your reports. Keep taking good care of yourself.

Well I think another trip is just what the doctor ordered! Go for it! It all sounds great and you ( and the whole family) deserve every bit of the excitement it brings :goodvibes

So glad things are going so well for you! You do not need to feel guilty, cancer sucks 100% of the time!

I am here to join team insanity. I love that you are packing in the extra trip. At the end of January one of my best friends passed away. I spoke to her the night before so it was a bit of a shock to my system. She had chronic health issues basically her whole life, so while not expected, it wasnt unexpected if that makes sense. Ten days later another friend ended up with hypothermia walking home (we had an insanely cold snap in Boston in Feb), and passed away on a park bench! It was all over the news. Anyway, long story short, my friend got me an AP preview for Tron. She ended up not being able to go.......but that didn't mean I couldnt still go right? I mean I had JUST gone with hubby and kiddos in January, is it really insane to go again in March? I ran it by hubby and he was like i can't go, but you could. I ran it by my dad who is the voice of reason, and he said, well you have had a rough month with two funerals in a week. So with 10 days notice my mom and I booked a trip to WDW with the kids (they are still free so they HAVE to go right?) just so I could go on one ride. We had an amazing time and memories I will treasure.

My long winded point is, you had a tough year and you deserve to have some fun and make some wonderful memories with your family!

Ummmm.... @TheOneWithTheTriplets I am 100% totally NOT going to tell you to drop a trip!!

I knew nobody on these boards would!

I always feel like life is easier to handle when its a little crazy busy - or maybe that's just how my life ends up?? :rotfl2:

You are busy!! Sounds like with great things, though. Fingers crossed for the job!!!

So glad to hear from you and that you are doing well! I'm also loving all your trips coming up!!

Thanks so much. I'm so ready to be done with the chemo and on to all the fun trips!

Well I think another trip is just what the doctor ordered! Go for it! It all sounds great and you ( and the whole family) deserve every bit of the excitement it brings :goodvibes

Thanks! It has been hard on everyone, so it's nice to have fun things to look forward to. The girls know about Cali and the cruise, so that helps when stuff gets rough.

You do not need to feel guilty, cancer sucks 100% of the time!

Yes, but... It's a big part of my motivation for treatments, knowing that the cure rate is so high and feeling the very real effects in my own body. I can't imagine going through all of that with significantly worse odds.

At the end of January one of my best friends passed away. I spoke to her the night before so it was a bit of a shock to my system. She had chronic health issues basically her whole life, so while not expected, it wasnt unexpected if that makes sense. Ten days later another friend ended up with hypothermia walking home (we had an insanely cold snap in Boston in Feb), and passed away on a park bench!

Wow, I'm so sorry for your losses. That's a lot all at once.

So with 10 days notice my mom and I booked a trip to WDW with the kids (they are still free so they HAVE to go right?) just so I could go on one ride. We had an amazing time and memories I will treasure.

Yay! I'm glad you were able to go have a blast!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter