Post your best hash brown casserole recipe.

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
We decided to have a Christmas brunch this year instead of dinner. My family wants me to make hash brown casserole but my recipe has meat in it and my MIL is vegetarian. Any suggestions? Milk products are okay but eggs aren’t.

Google...Cracker Barrel Hashbrown casserole..so yummy and so easy. It’s basically butter, cream of whatever you like soup, sour cream, cheese and shredded hash browns. Can’t go wrong with it.

Just leave the meat out of it.

I’ve never had or heard of hash brown casserole before. Sounds like something my daughter might like. But she’s vegan. So no meat, no dairy, no eggs, etc.

I use the recipe on back of the bag of Mr. Dell's frozen hash browns. There's no meat or eggs, I add quite a bit of extra cheese. The recipe calls for crushed corn flakes on top which makes it crunchy. :)

MIL?
No no mom, that's that new FAKE meat. It's totally realistic isn't it? If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was real sausage.

Just leave the meat out of it.

I’ve never had or heard of hash brown casserole before. Sounds like something my daughter might like. But she’s vegan. So no meat, no dairy, no eggs, etc.

Don't let that stop you:)...any cream sauce can be replicated with a vegan butter/flour roux, minced garlic, salt/pepper, nutritional yeast, and rice milk...and then a sour cream/cream cheese element can be replaced by Tofutti's sour cream/cream cheese (best there are for those 2 "fake" products if you can't have tree nuts, either - if you can, the cashew based ones tend to be the other "best").

I'd post a hashbrown casserole recipe that was vegan and tree nut free, but I do it by taste/feel, so I can post the ingredients, but no measurements b/c I don't measure:)...

MIL?
No no mom, that's that new FAKE meat. It's totally realistic isn't it? If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was real sausage.
My MIL is Indian and doesn't eat meat for religious reasons. She like, many Indians, think fake meat doesn't make sense because there's plenty delicious ways to make vegetarian food without pretending to eat meat. I tend to agree with her.

Don't let that stop you:)...any cream sauce can be replicated with a vegan butter/flour roux, minced garlic, salt/pepper, nutritional yeast, and rice milk...and then a sour cream/cream cheese element can be replaced by Tofutti's sour cream/cream cheese (best there are for those 2 "fake" products if you can't have tree nuts, either - if you can, the cashew based ones tend to be the other "best").

I'd post a hashbrown casserole recipe that was vegan and tree nut free, but I do it by taste/feel, so I can post the ingredients, but no measurements b/c I don't measure:)...
Thanks for the advice but she's not vegan. She uses cow milk products all the time but she doesn't eat eggs or meat.

Thanks for the advice but she's not vegan. She uses cow milk products all the time but she doesn't eat eggs or meat.

Oh, I was posting for the poster with the vegan daughter:)...if you can have dairy, the cracker barrel versions are the best:)...

My recipe is close to Paula Deen's as referenced above, but I'm not a fan of corn flakes so I top it with French Fried Onions.

I also make it in a crockpot to free-up more space in the oven.

A can of cream of celery soup
A can of cheddar cheese soup
8 ounce sour cream
1 stick butter melted
1 bag frozen hashbrowns
Green onions sliced
1 lb Kielbasa sliced (optional)

mix all ingredients, top with sharp extra sharp cheddar cheese. Bake at 375 until bubbly and brown top or can be thrown into crockpot to cook.

Most of the recipes I see call for cream of chicken soup. What would be an acceptable meat free substitute?

This is a tried and true vegan version I’ve made numerous times. You can omit the sausage if your MIL doesn’t like meat substitutes, or swap it for something like broccoli or cauliflower to bulk it up or chickpeas if you want to add protein.

For the ‘Egg’ Mixture:
1/2 cup plain soy milk
1 lb. extra-firm tofu
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/3 cup nutritional yeast

For the Casserole:
1 pkg. Gimme Lean Sausage
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 qt. shredded hash browns (frozen is OK)
1 pkg. Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds

• Preheat the oven to 450°F.
  • Place all the ingredients for the “egg” mixture in a blender and blend until smooth.
  • Crumble the vegan sausage and brown slightly in 1 tablespoonful of the oil in a pan over medium heat.
  • Use the other 1 tablespoonful of oil to coat the bottom of a large baking dish. Layer the hash browns, the sausage, and the vegan cheese along with any other ingredients that you would like to add.
  • Pour the egg-like mixture over the layered hash browns, sausage, and cheese, then sprinkle more cheese on top.
  • Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 10 servings

Lately I’ve been doing an even lazier version of the hash brown casserole and have been using Just Egg in place of the tofu mixture. A layer of hash browns, then sausage (or vegetables), covered with Just Egg. Bake until almost set, about 20-25 minutes, then top with cheese and bake for another 5 until melted.

My hashbrown casserole:
1 can mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup melted butter (margarine)
1kg bag of hashbrown (cubes)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
Combine and put in oiled 9 by 13 casserole dish. Top with 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese grated.
Bake at 350 covered for 1 hour, uncover bake for 10 more minutes or until cheese is browned.

it’s a huge household favorite and my kids ask for it every time they are home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter