PR for GKTW - A Disney Marathon Training Journal (Comments Welcome)

Love2Run

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone! (Or no one, I may be just typing to myself)

This is going to be my personal training journey to the Walt Disney Marathon 2014. I Have ran the 26.2 miles 4 times in the past. 1 I'm proud of and 3 times I was happy they didn't print the time on my medal. :) This year will be different. I am motivated and DETERMINED to beat my personal best.
Why will this time be different you ask? A challenge has been extend to me.

Every minute I beat my PR, $100 will be donated to GKTW.

WOW!!! I was very surprised by this generous offer and am very excited to start my journey.

I guess I should start off by disclosing my previous times. (As much as I don’t want to put it in writing)

Walt Disney Marathon 2010 (first marathon) – 5:05:07
QC Half Marathon 2010 - 2:02:09
Walt Disney Marathon 2011 (Injured my knee 40 days before the marathon) – 5:20:14
Wine and Dine Half Marathon 2011 - 2:06:03
Walt Disney Marathon 2012 (No excuses this time) – 4:34:41
TOT 10 Miler 2012 - 1:46:22
Walt Disney Marathon 2013 (Life got in the way of training) - 5:56:27​

As you can see I have actually been going backwards instead of improving on the whole. This is a trend I am determined NOT to continue.

Along with training to run I am also going to need to lose weight. Running faster is a lot easier if you are not over weight so as I train I plan on losing weight. (I am getting married in May so losing weight for will be nice too) If anyone has tips or recipes/meal ideas I would LOVE to hear them. I enjoy cooking, or attempting to cook, as I am not the good but I'm hopeful through practice I'll improve.

I plan on keeping this journal updated frequently but I will also be using Twitter and Instagram, my name for both is Luv2RunDisney so feel free to follow along there as well.

So I guess I should stop writing about my plans and actually make them happen. Off to my training run. :)

Ok to be honest – off to download an audio book, find my ipod, upload the book onto my ipod, wait for my GPS watch to charge and THEN off to my run. :lmao:

3/9/2013 - 5k my way - 31:59 *PR (Haha its my first one. I know I've ran a 5k prior but I have no idea what the time was.)

So I had these great intentions. I was going to work hard and write here almost every day. Keep my twitter updated. Log my food by taking pictures.

Turns out I'm not that disciplined. How it works is, I want to eat a scoop of ice cream. I tell myself, "But I can't take a picture of that because it's not in the plan. Oh well it is just a scoop." Couple hours later I think I need to go to the gym. I tell myself, "Oh come on you already had ice cream, why not just take the day off." By the end of the day I am off the reservation eating what ever I want and sitting in front of the TV all evening. What do you guys do to break the cycle? This is something I have been struggling with for a while and I NEED to break the cycle if I am going to be successful. I would love to hear any advice you all have.

The honest truth about my last couple days:

Saturday, I woke up thinking I was going to run a 5k in town. After seeing the beautiful sun I decided I would drive out to the ocean and make my own 5k with a much better view.

611eff22-ba69-4fed-b819-2d2b4dccfab8_zpsf5773176.jpg

The run went fairly well. It was hilly and pretty windy so the second half (down wind) went a lot better. I am not to proud of the time but considering I have hardly exercised since the marathon and in all honestly hardly exercised prior to the marathon it is starting point. I finished in 31:59.

efd78b16-b80a-4673-8923-16e4ae68445e_zps6c6b14a0.jpg

After the run I felt GREAT! There is nothing better then a post run high. Where you feel like you can do anything. I walked for about 45 minutes. It was interesting because while I walked down wind I took off my gloves, head band and unzipped my wind breaker but then when I turned around to head back to the car into the wind I FROZE! I put my head band and gloves back on but was still freezing. It is interesting how drastic of difference the wind can make.

13721e70-0212-4099-b54b-2741b25053d2_zps6616a9cc.jpg

After the walk I enjoyed my post run snack. I admit not the healthiest, I am going to work on cutting my diet pop addiction. :)

f6221f3b-8df0-409b-9fef-0ede822a366b_zpsa267107a.jpg

The next couple days were all down hill. Little/no exercise and a free for all in the kitchen. BUT I am back on the wagon today and am going to the Y for a good 90 minute work out.

Hopefully I will have a more successful post next time. No wait next time I WILL have a a more successful post.

What a generous donation you will be making! Keep up the good work.. It is tough going backwards.. I am experiencing that as well.. I just ran a 5k yesterday and I was way slower than I wanted to be. I have noticed that after the marathon on this year 2013(goofy +5k). I have been running my marathon pace for much shorter distances...
Well just wanted to say hi and keep it up..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter