Pregnant at HK Disneyland

Aussieprincess

Mouseketeer
We have decided to take a trip for 4 days to Hong Kong in March.
I will be 21 weeks pregnant and our main focus will obviously be Disneyland. How many days do you think we will need (want)?
Anything I should consider being pregnant?
Is it worth staying at a Disneyland resort?

Looking forward to some advise!

:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy :goodvibes

Most people say that HKDL is doable in 1 day, but if you're going to want to take it a bit easy, and your main reason for going to HK is for DL, I would spend 2 days there. If you've got 4 days, that leaves you time to see a couple of the other things in Hong Kong too.

DL is a fair hike from the city, so it's definitely worth staying onsite. And since HK is an expensive city anyway, the onsite hotels are actually reasonable value (you'll pay for eating there though!). There is a free shuttle bus from the hotels to the park too, which will cut down the amount of walking you'll have to do. Due to the location away from the city, a lot of people do a split stay, stay a couple of nights in the city, then 1 or 2 nights at DL.

There will probably be a lot of rides that you won't get to do, but there is plenty of atmosphere and theming to take in. Definitely make sure you see the parade and all the shows (Golden Mickeys, Festival of the Lion King etc). In March the weather has been quite good, but you might get warm being pregnant. I'm not personally familiar with pregnancy, but my advice would be to listen to your body - only you'll know what you'll be up for and what might be too much.

I'm usually there for 3 days at a time. I love taking my time and really enjoying the park and I never feel as if I've had time for everything. Plus, on my last trip, I was able to do Mystic Manor 6 times! I love that ride!!

Congratulations and best wishes for your new baby.

If the focus of your trip is Disney, then you might want to consider staying on-site. It is a little way out of Hong Kong proper; but given the amount of time you're there for, check out the rates and figure out if it is worth the stay there or not.

It will be fairly easy to get out to the Giant Buddha from Disney; if you were looking for a day trip close by. Otherwise, it will take you about 30 - 40 minutes to get into Hong Kong on the train.

Have fun!

We went there in 2008, we were in China adopting our youngest daughter. The park is very small, but extremely nice. Because it is relatively new everything is fresh and shiny.

You can do it in one day, but 2 days is a nice pace.

I would certainly recommend the DisneyLand hotel. It is really beautiful. It is styled very much like the Grand Floridian in Florida. When we went, we got an upgraded room, princess themed, overlooking the South China Sea. We would never have been able to afford such a nice room in the US.

Have a great time.
Adam

Thanks for all the advise! :-) we booked our flights today! Very exciting! I have been reading some of your awesome trip reports, and that has helped with what to expect! We are going to stay at Hollywood resort for the whole time, and get the silver access pass, so we can use the discounts. (20% off room rates) and that way we can spend more or less time at hkdl. Even just a few hours on a non disney day would be great to get my fix!
We have been told that ocean park is worth going to, and DH was talking about a light show, or firework show, or something... Any ideas what that is?
We will probably have 1 full sight seeing day if we decide to go to ocean park as well... Any suggestions welcome.

I'm a bit worried about the food situation, being pregnant and fussy... Lol. But figure if all else fails I can take a jar of Vegemite and buy some bread!

Thanks for all the advise! :-) we booked our flights today! Very exciting! I have been reading some of your awesome trip reports, and that has helped with what to expect! We are going to stay at Hollywood resort for the whole time, and get the silver access pass, so we can use the discounts. (20% off room rates) and that way we can spend more or less time at hkdl. Even just a few hours on a non disney day would be great to get my fix!
We have been told that ocean park is worth going to, and DH was talking about a light show, or firework show, or something... Any ideas what that is?
We will probably have 1 full sight seeing day if we decide to go to ocean park as well... Any suggestions welcome.

I'm a bit worried about the food situation, being pregnant and fussy... Lol. But figure if all else fails I can take a jar of Vegemite and buy some bread!

How exciting! Great move getting an AP too :goodvibes

Taking something familiar from home to eat is probably a good idea if you think it might be a problem. There is western food available, but the quality is pretty hit and miss. The Chinese food is generally much better quality.

DH was probably talking about the symphony of lights in HK city. I haven't been, but I hear it's nothing particularly special. I'd go if you're in the area, but don't necessarily make a special trip for it. The fireworks at Disneyland are much better, will be much more convenient for you, and are on every night :thumbsup2

Congrats! Great move with the AP.

Ocean Park is worth a visit. You'll find a range of food at Ocean Park; some of which will be western style. It's just a matter of working out what you want to eat. We ended up with reasonably decent food there. But the Chinese food is better.

If you're looking for some pictures to check it out, here's the start of my time at Ocean Park. Keep going to page 61.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44871150&posted=1#post44871150

I agree with Zanzibar about the Symphony of Lights. It is highly promoted for anyone wanting to visit HK as one of the things to see. The buildings light up and there are lasers going off overhead; all supposedly coordinated to music. It is a nice display for about 10 minutes or so. But if you miss it or don't find time for it, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Thanksgiving! I was already reading your trip report princess in oz! Loving it, I couldn't get the ocean park photos to work on my iPad though so I'll have to get my computer out. :-)

Hong Kong Disneyland is lovely. Don't worry about food options, HK caters for a very international palate. You can pretty much find any food there and Disney caters for all styles too. I've stayed at both the hotels on site there, they are both wonderful. It is very convenient to stay there, the shuttle bus comes continuously to transport you to Disneyland. Although small, HK Disneyland still creates the magical feeling that you get from a US park. I purchased the magic access card when we went also, its a great deal when you use the hotel discount and dining and merchandise discounts also :thumbsup2 Have a great time!

Sorry to go a little off topic but are there many vegetarian options at HKDL? Potentially heading there in early April and I'm worried that I'll struggle finding decent food! I wish the website had more info on it. I've read through the TRs on here which have been very useful but it would still be nice to have more "official" info!

Sorry to go a little off topic but are there many vegetarian options at HKDL? Potentially heading there in early April and I'm worried that I'll struggle finding decent food! I wish the website had more info on it. I've read through the TRs on here which have been very useful but it would still be nice to have more "official" info!

My DH is predominantly vegetarian. He does eat seafood; so that gives us a few more options.

You might find chinese vegetarian fare available.

It sure was hard trying to work it out but in the end, we worked it out when we were there. Good luck with it

Although small, HK Disneyland still creates the magical feeling that you get from a US park. I purchased the magic access card when we went also, its a great deal when you use the hotel discount and dining and merchandise discounts also :thumbsup2 Have a great time!

We want to use our discounts obviously. :-) But How do you go about using the hotel discount if you if you don't pick up the Access card until you arrive? will they apply it later, or do we need to call hong kong?

We want to use our discounts obviously. :-) But How do you go about using the hotel discount if you if you don't pick up the Access card until you arrive? will they apply it later, or do we need to call hong kong?

I rang the number on the HK Disneyland website and spoke to an agent. We bought the Access Card online and she applied the hotel discount immediately. When we arrived, we picked up the card at reception.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter