Preparing for Nicole, Rain tips, and other advice!

I just got a notice from UA that flights may be delayed or cancelled due to Nicole. No changes or delays yet for me, I’m due to arrive Fri.

I was told by guest services in MK that unused party tickets retain their value and can be used toward any type of ticket at WDW in the future.

If SW cancels your flight you either get a refund (and in that case you are entitled to cash back if you want it) or you get rebooked. Rebooking is a race against everyone else on your flight. The airline might rebook you when they cancel the flight but it could be to something a couple days out that you find unsuitable leaves you scrambling to see if they can get you an earlier flight. Be proactive! Contact SW immediately if that happens and tell them what flights you want instead (look them up as if you were buying tickets so you will know what flights are open).

If your flight is cancelled and there are no acceptable alternatives, I’m sorry but the end result of that is a cancelled trip :(

We've got 4 people on Delta (RDU - MCO) and 2 people on Frontier (RDU - MCO), all leaving between 9am and 10am on Thursday. If it was just me and DH, we'd move the flight up (maybe even to tomorrow) but the others can't be that flexible. There's no point in me/DH going if the rest can't get there Thursday. I looked at the next Delta flight (afternoon) and there don't seem to be many seats. Even if people cancel due to the weather (business, flexible), I presume there will still be a mad fight for seats on any flight that actually go.

My kids (27, 30) are still wanting to roll the dice, but if we can't go Thursday, even if we COULD go Friday, I'm not sure it's worth it. Does anyone know if WDW will credit us the 1 day we'd miss of parks? That's great news about the party tickets. I'm not sure that'll help us because if we did an abbreviated trip, I can't imagine spending the money to put together another one with this gang of 6. This was partially to celebrate my retirement as of 11/1. So forking over this kind of money (for all 6 of us) twice is highly unlikely.

Basically I'm thinking a total resched is better than losing a day. If it gets to Wednesday evening before I know if our flights are canceled (or even Thursday morning), would WDW work with us to move the whole trip out weeks or months? Or does that have to happen with more than 24 hours (or less) notice? These are 3 room package deals, 3 days of PHs + G+ and MVMCP.

We've got 4 people on Delta (RDU - MCO) and 2 people on Frontier (RDU - MCO), all leaving between 9am and 10am on Thursday. If it was just me and DH, we'd move the flight up (maybe even to tomorrow) but the others can't be that flexible. There's no point in me/DH going if the rest can't get there Thursday. I looked at the next Delta flight (afternoon) and there don't seem to be many seats. Even if people cancel due to the weather (business, flexible), I presume there will still be a mad fight for seats on any flight that actually go.

My kids (27, 30) are still wanting to roll the dice, but if we can't go Thursday, even if we COULD go Friday, I'm not sure it's worth it. Does anyone know if WDW will credit us the 1 day we'd miss of parks? That's great news about the party tickets. I'm not sure that'll help us because if we did an abbreviated trip, I can't imagine spending the money to put together another one with this gang of 6. This was partially to celebrate my retirement as of 11/1. So forking over this kind of money (for all 6 of us) twice is highly unlikely.

Basically I'm thinking a total resched is better than losing a day. If it gets to Wednesday evening before I know if our flights are canceled (or even Thursday morning), would WDW work with us to move the whole trip out weeks or months? Or does that have to happen with more than 24 hours (or less) notice? These are 3 room package deals, 3 days of PHs + G+ and MVMCP.
You will have to look at the cancellation policies on your package/s. I don’t think you get anything back if you cancel one day out and there is no hurricane warning issued. Disney World has hurricane policies here but at this time a Hurricane Warning has not been issued so they are not in effect.

I haven’t heard of Disney crediting people for a missed day in the parks unless Disney closed the parks.

You will have to look at the cancellation policies on your package/s. I don’t think you get anything back if you cancel one day out and there is no hurricane warning issued. Disney World has hurricane policies here but at this time a Hurricane Warning has not been issued so they are not in effect.

I haven’t heard of Disney crediting people for a missed day in the parks unless Disney closed the parks.

Ok -- guess calling WDW will be on my to do list tomorrow.

To be clear, I wouldn't want to cancel and get a refund (if we have to bail on the whole trip), just move the trip to another date. I mean, they have 3 room packages for 3 nights for 6 people worth of passes. They already have my money. I can't see where they'd need to play hardball if I just want to push the trip out. But I've never done this before.

Watching the local morning news and they are still saying the water in the Bahamas is warm enough for it to strengthen to a Cat 1 hurricane before landfall. It brings to mind Hurricane Wilma from 2005, which went from a tropical storm to a Cat 5 in 24 hours. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that it stays a tropical storm. I am so concerned about the people who are still dealing with flooding and damage from Ian, especially in the Daytona Beach and surrounding areas.

Another thing with clothes. Wear shorts or at most a Capri length pants. You don’t want to be wading through ankle deep water with full length pants. They act like a sponge and just wick the water right up your legs. It’s better if your raincoat or poncho completely covers your clothes and any parts of your arms or legs that are not covered by your rainwear are bare and can easily be dried off. It’s much nicer to stop in a rest room and dry off skin with some paper towels than to have to walk around in wet clothes.

Also, if you have a belt that you don’t mind getting wet, you can wear it over a poncho to help keep it from blowing as much. I have a vinyl one that I would never wear as an actual belt, but it works great over my rain poncho.

Agree. It's horrible for Florida resident. Have lots of friends in Fort Myers who lost so much.

It won't go Cat 5 or even close to that though. Probably remains ST, TD or maybe 1. Would be really surprised if it hit 2. Two is still very bad, but it is nowhere near Wilma or Ian. Conditions don't favor that level of intensity.
Spaghetti models are all over the place
These are technically not all over the place; these are consistent with high probability for impact zones. This is actually a very tight consistent forecast.

These are technically not all over the place; these are consistent with high probability for impact zones. This is actually a very tight consistent forecast.
I can see both sides on this. The spaghetti models up to landfall are in agreement for the most part. However, after landfall they are spreading wide from Orlando in the east to the Gulf, south of the panhandle, in the west. I don’t think they have a firm idea on when the cold front will cause the storm to curve back to the east yet. Perhaps by tomorrow we will have a better idea. The local news is hoping for a quick recurve, as that will move the storm away from Florida more quickly, lessening the amount of rain and wind we have to deal with.

Nicole formed this morning.

OP it’s always better to be prepared. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Keep listening to local weather reports.
We are here right now but staying offsite. Where’s the best place to find 8nformation on when/if they decide to do park closures?

Ok -- guess calling WDW will be on my to do list tomorrow.

To be clear, I wouldn't want to cancel and get a refund (if we have to bail on the whole trip), just move the trip to another date. I mean, they have 3 room packages for 3 nights for 6 people worth of passes. They already have my money. I can't see where they'd need to play hardball if I just want to push the trip out. But I've never done this before.
I would hop on the phone to WDW and ask ASAP about a reschedule. We’re getting there by the tiniest of windows, we leave a week from today, just after. If we were going this week we would’ve tried to postpone, maybe January sometime.

Should have clarified what I meant. The models cover the whole state. Winds reach out for hundreds of miles. I think I heard 650 miles out. In one way or the other it’s going to affect most of the state.

I really try not to worry about rain to much in Disney, but it looks like Wednesday and Thursday will be total wash outs. Not just passing showers, They are our only 2 park days so we will make the best of it. Looking for tips any and all on enjoying the parks in rain.

Here is what I am currently planning re parks and rain gear.

Wednesday is full Hollywood studios day (with break for the pool 🤣)

Thursday is Epcot and MK with Christmas party.

I have ponchos packed and now adding raincoats
Crocs for my DD8 and Tevas for myself
Should I bring another pair of sandals? I usually like sneakers in the parks, but hate wet feet and socks
2 pairs of sneakers extra socks
Umbrellas
What should I pack that I’m missing here??

To the parks I plan to bring a change of clothes including shoes in a ziplock bag for each of us
2 ponchos plus our rain coats
Was thinking would wear crocs/tevas to the parks, is this insane??
Have umbrella only to use if it’s not to crowded

Am I missing anything? Any tips to make these days amazing that I’m missing?
Im guessing the parks will close Thursday. Torrential wind and rain. Not safe.

I really try not to worry about rain to much in Disney, but it looks like Wednesday and Thursday will be total wash outs. Not just passing showers, They are our only 2 park days so we will make the best of it. Looking for tips any and all on enjoying the parks in rain.

Here is what I am currently planning re parks and rain gear.

Wednesday is full Hollywood studios day (with break for the pool 🤣)

Thursday is Epcot and MK with Christmas party.

I have ponchos packed and now adding raincoats
Crocs for my DD8 and Tevas for myself
Should I bring another pair of sandals? I usually like sneakers in the parks, but hate wet feet and socks
2 pairs of sneakers extra socks
Umbrellas
What should I pack that I’m missing here??

To the parks I plan to bring a change of clothes including shoes in a ziplock bag for each of us
2 ponchos plus our rain coats
Was thinking would wear crocs/tevas to the parks, is this insane??
Have umbrella only to use if it’s not to crowded

Am I missing anything? Any tips to make these days amazing that I’m missing?
We are getting a hurricane. Parks will close Thursday.

I just saw the update a half hour ago, and it's saying that the storm, which may become a hurricane, is expected to go directly over Orlando. Although I live in Tampa Bay, I had planned and reserved to take my dd camping in Kissimmee this weekend (months ago, I booked in Nov to 'avoid' hurricanes!). I already cancelled Friday night and will see about Sat.

Anyhow, I just wanted to chime in-rain is not a big deal in the parks (regular Fl rain). It's WIND that will make it an issue. I would not plan on being in the parks on a tropical storm/hurricane day. If I was traveling in from somewhere else-now is the time I'd consider changing plans. I'm sorry-it does stink, who'd of thought it'd be an issue this late in the year?

Just to be clear, most everybody here is saying the parks will be closed on Thursday. However, Disney has not said that. I'm sure they are just as closely watching the storm as we all are on this thread but will try to hold off on a closing decision as long as possible. Stay tuned....

Very possible but I posted this Sunday and people were telling me I was crazy and reading into the forecast to much… now I’m being told the parks will close 🤷🏻‍♀️
And that tells you how reliable the internet is. Until you hear it straight from the Mouse it’s just arm chair guessing. Highlighted in another thread on the DIS a thing we do know- Disney has stopped taking park reservations for Thurs & Fri. A move that indicates concern about park ops for sure but no closure notices- yet.

Can you edit your thread title to something that reflects a Nicole discussion thread as this is kinda turning into a location for storm tracking and park updates?

And that tells you how reliable the internet is. Until you hear it straight from the Mouse it’s just arm chair guessing. Highlighted in another thread on the DIS a thing we do know is Disney has stopped taking park reservations for Thurs & Fri. A move that indicates concern about park ops for sure but no closure notices- yet.

Can you edit your thread title to something that reflects a Nicole discussion thread as this is kinda turning into a location for storm tracking and park updates?
Sure!

I know I just felt a bit salty that some people made me feel crazy and I’m like there is a storm coming!!

I’m hopefully it’s not bad for many reason, I got flooded in sandy, moved and got it in ida too, I know how devastating these things are, and I am hopeful for locals that it’s quick and minimal damage!

Last edited:
someone told me to look at WFTV9, they said it is best for Orlando weather, and looking at the forecast there makes it seem like it will not be that bad..... trying to have hope here as my plane is due to get in at 6 something Thursday evening
Yeah, I'm sweating this a bit too. My family is going to Universal Orlando for a long weekend. Our flight arrives around 9 pm Thursday. Hoping things are calming down by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter