• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pressed coins?

Limmer

DIS Veteran
Can somebody please tell me what these are and why you would want them?:confused:

pressed pennies are squashed in a machine - each with a different disney character or logo.

They make really nice inexpensive souveniers (51 cents). You can buy a book to store them in - it makes a neat collection.

My kids became addicted to this at Disney. We filled two Penny Press books. This inexpensive idea turned out cost me $60, but well worth the smiles and memories my kids have!

I have never seen a penny press book. Where do you get them? Is there one specific to WDW?

The books we got in March looked pretty generic to all the parks. It had the theme of *4 parks...one world* on it with a picture of mickeys gang and background of the parks landmarks. I am assuming that is the only one they have at this time. We found them at AK.

Boy, that pressed penny thing is addictive. What started out as something to do during a 2 week vacation has turned into a main mission when we go on future vacations. I hate it. Instead of looking for the next ride, I am looking for a pressed penny machine that might have a different coin from last time we were there. The expense has gotten out of hand. $100+ and to make it worse, we collect them everywhere we go...zoos, other amusement parks, museums, etc.

I agree that the penny press can get out of hand, but if you just press the pennies that interest you and not every one you see, I think you'll get a kick out of it. My kids thought it was a great idea, and had fun looking for the machines in every store we went into! At the grand floridian they have a quarter press of cinderella that costs $1.25. There are other quarter presses in the parks as well that cost $1.00. Also we thought the pennies that were brand new and very shiny looked better when pressed.
Give it a try!
Carol

The machines that make these are scattered throughout WDW. It's a neat souvenier and it's only 51 cents!

they also have pressed quarters which costs $1.25 to make but these are pretty neat as well! disneyland also has the same book but it says disneyland on it instead of disneyworld! I have one of each and one is nearly filled now!

Our last trip we started pressing pennies. If we saw a machine, my 4 yo would pick out the character he liked best. (Mom also picked a few, and so did Dad) I think something like this is a better souvenir than say a Tshirt. I am not saying there is anything wrong with a T shirt but I like to pull things out in years to come and look at them, you can't do that with a shirt. The pressed pennies will be around in 50 years. We also had the Passport for Epcot. Which I think is a great idea. As you travel to each Country, you have the Passport stamped and the representative from that country would write in the book, in their language, to my son. He really enjoyed it, I don't think he understood, but he ended up running up to the people, HI, I'm Connor from Wakefield USA. It was funny. Janis

elmo, lucky your kids are addicted, my husband is addicted and we all (including my two kids), make fun of him everytime he finds a new machine :)

We did the pressed pennies last week, my kids loved finding a machine! I had read about it here, so I bought 2 rolls of quarters and started saving shiny pennies and I had them in a little pouch in my pack ready for when we found a machine. I bought the books in the gift shop at the hotel for 6.00 and they easily filled it by the end of our 5 day stay. They want to buy another book and fill it next year! Very neat souvenier.

sleepy, you sound like my husband. I told him last night that I found a site and printed out all the places to get the pennies/quarters. He was very excited and told me first we need to check off what we already have and then we have to go to the bank and get a roll of quarters and new pennies (the new ones do look nicer) to bring with us. My dd just rolled her eyes at him :)

I love collecting pressed coins, and I agree that it is definitely addicting!:jester: As part of our trip preparation each year we (DH and I) spread out all of our pennies and check them off of a current list so we have a list to take with us of the ones we need! It's also fun that some of ours are no longer available.

I just wanted to mention that as you are collecting pennies to "squash" you may wish to collect pre-1982 pennies. In 1982 they started adding zinc to the make-up of the pennies and when they are pressed you will get a zinc smear in the center of the image.

Just my .02, or should I say my .01??? :rolleyes: (ok, that was bad...)

Happy pressing,
Kristin

93 days and counting!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter