Previous owner with some regrets of selling - what's changed in the last 6 years?

ajpruett

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

My husband and I purchased AKL in 2010 and had some amazing stays and really enjoyed our time being members of DVC. We had around 400 points, stayed at almost every resort, got a trip to VGC and used to participate a lot with RunDisney. We were sort of close by in Alabama and to FL was not that much of a haul. In 2015, we had a son and took him in a stroller several times to Disney. BUT, in 2018, a lot of life happened. Things went sideways at my work and we needed to move from AL to VT. Seeing as how we needed money, we sold off our contracts.

Here we are, 6 years later. My son is saying he has never been to Disney and all his friends have been going. Well, really, he's super excited about a trip to Super Nintendo World at Universal in Hollywood, but I'm excited that I've booked a VIP tour for Disneyland (like bouncing up and down excited).

It's made me really start to miss my time as a DVC member. It feels like a lot has changed since we have gone though - Magic Express, Genie+, park reservations, crazy prices for annual passes all seem to be the norm now. I wonder if I am missing more of a memory of something that has changed too much from what I remember or if the magic is still there. I guess I'm looking for advice from those who have been going for a at least that long if it is worth looking at buying again or if I should just rent points when we want to go. I'm afraid my son isn't goign to love it as much as me, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't been looking at resale contracts nonstop this last week. Thanks again!

I agree with the prior poster that you should go before you buy if you’re that worried.

Not that much has changed. Yes, the prices have gone up. You have to pay for line skipping now, but honestly the system is good if you can afford it, and I’m assuming if you’re doing VIP tours at Disneyland, you likely can.

Park reservations are basically not an issue anymore.

The parks are still the parks. They’ve built some unbelievable new attractions like the Guardians coaster and Rise of the Resistance. The cast members remain great. The resorts are still great.

It’s not exactly what it was in 2010 but going with a kid isn’t the same as going as a couple either. I think it’s actually more magical.

Personally I find the experience enjoyable and I am yet to use Genie+ after my last 10 trips over the past 3 years. Admittedly our trips aren't about maximizing the number of rides we do but just taking everything in and enjoying the fact that we're at Disney. We may be biased on here but I think you'll love being able to see Disney through your sons eyes.

Hi all,

My husband and I purchased AKL in 2010 and had some amazing stays and really enjoyed our time being members of DVC. We had around 400 points, stayed at almost every resort, got a trip to VGC and used to participate a lot with RunDisney. We were sort of close by in Alabama and to FL was not that much of a haul. In 2015, we had a son and took him in a stroller several times to Disney. BUT, in 2018, a lot of life happened. Things went sideways at my work and we needed to move from AL to VT. Seeing as how we needed money, we sold off our contracts.

Here we are, 6 years later. My son is saying he has never been to Disney and all his friends have been going. Well, really, he's super excited about a trip to Super Nintendo World at Universal in Hollywood, but I'm excited that I've booked a VIP tour for Disneyland (like bouncing up and down excited).

It's made me really start to miss my time as a DVC member. It feels like a lot has changed since we have gone though - Magic Express, Genie+, park reservations, crazy prices for annual passes all seem to be the norm now. I wonder if I am missing more of a memory of something that has changed too much from what I remember or if the magic is still there. I guess I'm looking for advice from those who have been going for a at least that long if it is worth looking at buying again or if I should just rent points when we want to go. I'm afraid my son isn't goign to love it as much as me, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't been looking at resale contracts nonstop this last week. Thanks again!
The economy was pretty soft from 2009-2016…. and there was almost no inflation….so that possibly has something to do with the price comparisons.

With the economy chugging along, unemployment below 4%, and higher than desired inflation sticking around…. prices are higher everywhere.

Also, resale has changed dramatically since you sold. You can only use direct points at The Villas @ Disneyland Hotel and most other newish properties unless you buy a resale contract specific to that location.

Grand Cal was at around $150ish per point when you sold…. it’s easily over $230pp now….

So, it’s a lot more expensive…. however…. they have a smokin deal right now for current owners on Old Key West contracts (which can be used at 7m at The Villas @ Disneyland Hotel).

It probably makes the most sense to rent…. but it’s likely not going to be less expensive in the future… so, if you want to buy back in…. I’d get a small resale contract and then load up on Old Key West as soon as your pass ROFR….

Last edited:
Hi all,

Is it better or worse than 6 years ago? I mean its all relative. The World has changed and Disney with it. If you are a Disney lover than there is enough meat on the bone to justify the cost for sure.

I agree with the previous posters...it's all relative. I've been going to WDW at least once a year for over 20 years now and realized I've gotten burned out. I recently sold 2 SSR contracts but kept BWV and HHI so I still have my Disney fix but am not going as often (and the All-Stars are always there if I need a quick trip). It's not so much a difference with the parks as it is an increase in the entitlement of others and the crowds at WDW for me. But I've now been going to DL more frequently and have added on 100 points at VGC b/c I like the atmosphere there better these days. It's all a matter of perspective. :)

Enjoy your trip!

I agree with the previous posters...it's all relative. I've been going to WDW at least once a year for over 20 years now and realized I've gotten burned out. I recently sold 2 SSR contracts but kept BWV and HHI so I still have my Disney fix but am not going as often (and the All-Stars are always there if I need a quick trip). It's not so much a difference with the parks as it is an increase in the entitlement of others and the crowds at WDW for me. But I've now been going to DL more frequently and have added on 100 points at VGC b/c I like the atmosphere there better these days. It's all a matter of perspective. :)

Enjoy your trip!
I think that is going to be me too. I love strolling out of VGC and being in the parks and just 'being there.' But, I'll see how the bug hits me. I thought about VGC but I think I could always just rent points there if I know at my 11 month times.

I think us Disboard folk are hyper focused on the changes (good and bad) over the years. We also (as a family) get older along the way so that also changes. It’s different magic for us now. We aren’t chasing princesses to get signatures anymore but still rope dropping. We are enjoying Epcot festivals more than other things. You might be even more excited having had a break. As out of state AP DVCers we have been twice in two months (it was not the plan) but somehow worked out, each trip was still unique but sometimes that gap helps.

Hi all,

Unfortunately when you sold your resale contracts in 2018, you lost your grandfathered blue card/Y status, thus, if you buy resale now you won’t get discounts on APs. W/ resale points purchased now you won’t be able to visit the member’s lounges, or go to membership magic nights. More significantly, you won’t even be able to use resale points you purchase now to book the newer resorts like Riviera. IMO the inability to book new resorts is the biggest DVC change for a resale buyer since you sold in 2018.
DVC has utilized a Trust model to sell the new Fort Wilderness cabins, so in my mind there’s uncertainty about what terms future resorts will enter DVC under & how that will impact the program as a whole long term, especially 7 month availability. Because there are more points in the system than there were in 2018 & maybe due to the exponential growth of commercial renting, availability is more problematic now for popular times, resorts, & views IMO.
WDW costs more, lodging is more expensive, park tickets cost more & genie+/lightening lanes add to that cost & are a different product than the former free fast passes, food prices are higher, special ticketed events cost more. DME is long gone, so you’ll be paying for your transportation to/from the airport.
IMO, you get less for that higher cost, park hours are shorter due to ticketed events at certain times of year, you only get a half hour early entry, & there are only 2 evening extra magic hours parks per week & they are only open an extra 2 hours.
I agree w/ other posters, best to visit the ‘new WDW’ to see if there’s still enough ‘magic’ for you to justify jumping back in. I personally miss the good old days of WDW, but we still enjoy our annual visits & using our points to stay in larger villas v. a hotel room/studio makes our visits more enjoyable.

We have owned since 1996.

It has never crossed our minds to sell it.

We only have 206 points, so we are never overwhelmed by the dues. Or overburdened with too many points.

We mainly use them at Disney World but have also done a cruise and the the concierge collection.

For us, blue card perks still feel special and I wouldn't want to be without them.

Unfortunately when you sold your resale contracts in 2018, you lost your grandfathered blue card/Y status, thus, if you buy resale now you won’t get discounts on APs. W/ resale points purchased now you won’t be able to visit the member’s lounges, or go to membership magic nights. More significantly, you won’t even be able to use resale points you purchase now to book the newer resorts like Riviera. IMO the inability to book new resorts is the biggest DVC change for a resale buyer since you sold in 2018.
DVC has utilized a Trust model to sell the new Fort Wilderness cabins, so in my mind there’s uncertainty about what terms future resorts will enter DVC under & how that will impact the program as a whole long term, especially 7 month availability. Because there are more points in the system than there were in 2018 & maybe due to the exponential growth of commercial renting, availability is more problematic now for popular times, resorts, & views IMO.
WDW costs more, lodging is more expensive, park tickets cost more & genie+/lightening lanes add to that cost & are a different product than the former free fast passes, food prices are higher, special ticketed events cost more. DME is long gone, so you’ll be paying for your transportation to/from the airport.
IMO, you get less for that higher cost, park hours are shorter due to ticketed events at certain times of year, you only get a half hour early entry, & there are only 2 evening extra magic hours parks per week & they are only open an extra 2 hours.
I agree w/ other posters, best to visit the ‘new WDW’ to see if there’s still enough ‘magic’ for you to justify jumping back in. I personally miss the good old days of WDW, but we still enjoy our annual visits & using our points to stay in larger villas v. a hotel room/studio makes our visits more enjoyable.
While this reads as a negative litany— I think it’s extremely helpful for people to go in eyes open with relatively modest expectations. I would add that I hate waking up to book the first LL or VQ at 6:58AM and that even LL returns can be 20-30m if you’re unlucky (that last point will impact you as a VIP at DLR because plaids use the LLs). I do think if you’re all able bodied and haven’t been in a while, actually spending 20m on most lines is fine because they are visually interesting with lots of things to explore.

I would add that the paid hard ticket parties seem way more crowded than they used to to round out my list of complaints.

Despite all of that, our family loves going and have acquired more than 500 points (eyes wide open) in the past 18 months.

You didn’t ask my advice on this but I would seriously consider doing the VIP tour on your final day at DLR— it’s hard for my kids to shift back to waiting in lines after being spoiled with near instant LL access. We actually took a break in 2022 because they were whining about standby lines.

I think that is going to be me too. I love strolling out of VGC and being in the parks and just 'being there.' But, I'll see how the bug hits me. I thought about VGC but I think I could always just rent points there if I know at my 11 month times.
I went to DL in 2022 after 5 years of only doing WDW and stayed on Harbor. It rekindled my love for Walt's original park and reminded me how much I love Grand Cali since I wasn't staying there. It's a lot harder now to book at VGC at the 7 month window than it used to be, at least for a studio. But that's also one you can really only get resale these days, which was ok b/c I'm blue card on my other contracts.

While this reads as a negative litany— I think it’s extremely helpful for people to go in eyes open with relatively modest expectations. I would add that I hate waking up to book the first LL or VQ at 6:58AM and that even LL returns can be 20-30m if you’re unlucky (that last point will impact you as a VIP at DLR because plaids use the LLs). I do think if you’re all able bodied and haven’t been in a while, actually spending 20m on most lines is fine because they are visually interesting with lots of things to explore.

I would add that the paid hard ticket parties seem way more crowded than they used to to round out my list of complaints.

Despite all of that, our family loves going and have acquired more than 500 points (eyes wide open) in the past 18 months.

You didn’t ask my advice on this but I would seriously consider doing the VIP tour on your final day at DLR— it’s hard for my kids to shift back to waiting in lines after being spoiled with near instant LL access. We actually took a break in 2022 because they were whining about standby lines.
Thanks so much. It's so helpful. I think for so many reasons I look forward to being back at Disney. Yes, it changes. I just hope my son has a good time. There is just such a low threshold to get me back there.

Thanks so much. It's so helpful. I think for so many reasons I look forward to being back at Disney. Yes, it changes. I just hope my son has a good time. There is just such a low threshold to get me back there.
Even though some things have changed for the worse, 95-98% of my very happiest memories at WDW are in the past few years when I started going with my children (not counting times I took them as infants and toddlers). I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time!

Despite the changes, the parks have never lost their magic for me. And now that my DD is getting older (12 now), she actually loves it even more than when she was little. We’re bringing her best friend next time and she can’t wait to show them how fabulous it all is. I originally thought as she would get older, I would sell off my little contracts, and instead, I’m looking to maybe add on next year. I would rent points at WDW and see how it lands with your DS and with you. I think that would be a helpful datapoint for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter