price for a family of 5

dansyr

I'm a loser
I'm trying to convince my sister to make plans for a disney trip for her family. I was wondering if anyone could give me info on what it would cost for a family of 5 for a week long trip to Disney.
Budget would definitely be an issue. It would be my sis, her hubby and the 3 boys. It probably won't be for a year or 2. The ages of the boys would be 3, 6, and 9. I would like for them to stay onsite and they would probably fly.
Any tips and budgeting ideas would be great.
We have gone every year, but it has only been my bf and I, so I can't really give them an idea of what it would cost for a family.
Thanks is advance for any info.

There are so many variables that it would really impossible to estimate. If they go before the youngest turns 3, they could stay at the All Stars for considerably less than the options after he turns 3. (You can only have 4 in a room at the All Stars unless one is under 3yo.) We've gotten the All Stars for $50 a night in the off season using a discount code from http://www.mousesavers.com. Other variables: will they mostly be eating at sit-down restaurants and buffets, or mostly counter service? Could they eat breakfast in their room? Will they fly or drive? Go into the parks every day, or have a day or two outside the parks?

I would say they would probably go off season. I think they would fly. They would probably eat mostly counterservice. My nephews aren't big eaters they are mostly as my (as the middle one would put)chicken fingers and fwench fwies eaters. I'm thinking maybe one or 2 character buffets. I don't think it would be a big deal for them to bring food for breakfasts. I think they would probably spend most days in the parks except for maybe their departure day.

First time we went (in 97) we brought our two nieces (8 and 10) and our son 4. We stayed at the Polynesian for 8 nights. Think everything cost us about $5K. We did a couple of character breakfasts and had LOS passes (now UPH).

We went last year with our 3 DS's who were 9, 7, and 3. We went for 11 days. 5 day park hopper plus, 2 days US/IOA and 1 day at Sea World.

We spent 5 nights off-site ($20/night on Priceline) and 5 nights Dolphin ($99/night teacher rate)

Some special meals:Donald's Breakfast, Hard Rock Cafe, Hollywood & Vine, Rose & Crown

All Other Meals: Counter Service

DS's saved change for a year: Grand Total $100 each for souveniers

Drove from NY - one night on the road each way--Priceline

Grand Total: ~ $3700

Memories of a Magical Vacation:Priceless!

There are a lot of options, but without going into a lot of detail, I would tell them to save at least $5,000 for one week. :eek:

Disney is not cheap, but worth every penny! :p

Tickets & food will be their biggest expenses. And air. They can buy park hopper tickets at any time, if it helps with their budgeting. I would probably choose a 5 day plus pass for them. They won't hit the parks for 7 full days, so the length of stay passes aren't worth it. The plus vs non-plus is up to them - some families are happy to have pool & shopping days, others like the water parks.

I agree that if they can go before the younest one turns 3, it will be a HUGE savings! kids under 3 don't count toward the room total, get free park admission, AND eat free at all buffet meals. We're squeezing in another trip on our APs with our 2 year old just for that reason.

Mousesavers is a great website for newbies because it explains everything while telling you how to save in each area.

Good luck in making some new Disney addicts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter