Princess Weekend 2022

After going back and forth on a split stay, or whole stay at Pop, I did decide to do a split stay with Pop/Coronado. I just can't get it out of my head that it's just me, and when it's just me, I feel the need to explore. So:

Thursday night - land at MCO - check in at Pop - (***I really want to spend a night at Pop to assess if it's a good choice for a future family trip)

Friday - not a park day - explore Pop in morning, check out of Pop and will have bags transferred to Coronado.
Take Skyliner for an Ale and Compass breakfast or breakfast somewhere at Riviera so I can check out that resort (opinions??)
Head to Expo
Go to Disney Springs (can I do that from the Expo via Disney bus?) OR head to Coronado to check in and sit by pool if warm enough
Dinner at 3 bridges or Toledo

Saturday - race day/park day - will plan to do 4 parks in one day - end at Epcot to see Harmonious

Sunday check out and go home

So - what's it like going to the race from Coronado?

@JJ2017 Sounds like you have a good plan! I did not see Disney springs busses at the expo for W&D, just resort busses, so not sure if that is an option but there is always Uber/Lyft. My husband and I are also staying at CSR for the race weekend! I have only been there 1 night before and that was years ago when the resort was still under construction for the new tower and restaurant remodels. I can’t wait to actually see what the resort is like.

Head to Expo
Go to Disney Springs (can I do that from the Expo via Disney bus?) OR head to Coronado to check in and sit by pool if warm enough

I don't know how much of a "shopper" you would be at the expo, but if you go directly from there to DS you will have to lug all of your purchases/bib/finisher shirt/gear bag around with you. If there is no direct bus from the expo to DS, I would probably take a bus to the nearest resort (All stars or Pop/AoA probably?) and then grab the bus to DS from there to minimize the back-tracking the busses would have to do.

I don't know how much of a "shopper" you would be at the expo, but if you go directly from there to DS you will have to lug all of your purchases/bib/finisher shirt/gear bag around with you. If there is no direct bus from the expo to DS, I would probably take a bus to the nearest resort (All stars or Pop/AoA probably?) and then grab the bus to DS from there to minimize the back-tracking the busses would have to do.
oooh - really good point! how much time should be allocated to being at the expo? not much of a shopper, but def want to buy at least one shirt.

oooh - really good point! how much time should be allocated to being at the expo? not much of a shopper, but def want to buy at least one shirt.

In 2020, I got to the expo bus location on the third day of the expo (Fri of Marathon Weekend) at 12:00 from Boardwalk. We got on a bus at 12:20pm. We got our bibs, and did a lap in the shopping area. We arrived back at Boardwalk using the expo bus at 2:20pm. So it took us 2.5 total hours. (link)

In 2018, I was attending the first day of the Expo (Wed of Marathon Weekend) and got to the expo bus location at 11:20am from Boardwalk. We didn't get on a bus until 12:20pm (an hour wait to get on a bus due them arriving almost completely full each time). The bib pickup took 30 min, the merch line took 45 min. We didn't make a Hula event at Poly at 3:30pm. Based on my picture timestamps we arrived to Poly beach around 4:15pm. So it took about 5 hours from getting to the expo bus location to getting back to vacation. (link)

ETA 2017 data:

In 2017, I was attending the first day of the Expo (Wed of Marathon Weekend) and got to the expo bus location at AKL at 11:30am. Picked up bibs, and my notes say I was in the merch area between 12:00-12:15pm. We did a lap, and my notes show that we arrived at Sanaa at 2:00pm. So 2.5 total hours (link).

Last edited:
In 2020, I got to the expo bus location on the third day of the expo (Fri of Marathon Weekend) at 12:00 from Boardwalk. We got on a bus at 12:20pm. We got our bibs, and did a lap in the shopping area. We arrived back at Boardwalk using the expo bus at 2:20pm. So it took us 2.5 total hours. (link)

In 2018, I was attending the first day of the Expo (Wed of Marathon Weekend) and got to the expo bus location at 11:20am from Boardwalk. We didn't get on a bus until 12:20pm (an hour wait to get on a bus due them arriving almost completely full each time). The bib pickup took 30 min, the merch line took 45 min. We didn't make a Hula event at Poly at 3:30pm. Based on my picture timestamps we arrived to Poly beach around 4:15pm. So it took about 5 hours from getting to the expo bus location to getting back to vacation. (link)

ETA 2017 data:

In 2017, I was attending the first day of the Expo (Wed of Marathon Weekend) and got to the expo bus location at AKL at 11:30am. Picked up bibs, and my notes say I was in the merch area between 12:00-12:15pm. We did a lap, and my notes show that we arrived at Sanaa at 2:00pm. So 2.5 total hours (link).
totally appreciated! this is all why i'm choosing to not do the parks on the day i have to go to the expo. thanks!

Take Skyliner for an Ale and Compass breakfast or breakfast somewhere at Riviera so I can check out that resort (opinions??)
Head to Expo

Not sure how it will be this year, but in the past if you get to the expo slightly after it opens, there are long lines. If you get there properly later on, the lines seem to diminish.

Anyway, just be mentally prepared that you might be in a line. :)

Again, it might be different this year, but they have had the expo all spread out. First building you come to has been all disney merchandise, so if disney merchandise is what you want, go there. Then you leave that building and you'll want to get your bib. Go to that building. Then go to the main merchandise building b/c they have the race shirts (which you have to have your bib to get), and you can see all the vendors on your way to and from getting your race shirt.

They have lists of vendors so you can bee-line it to those people, or you can wander.

I usually end up going to the expo a little after it opens and rarely on the first day. Between catching the bus, doing the expo things, and getting back it's usually about 2 hours. I am not much of a shopper though. I do a lap through the disney merch (have yet to buy anything) then a lap around the other vendors (have bought 1 or 2 things over the years) then straight out. Maybe 1 picture, so no line waiting there. If you like to take pictures, shop, buy a drink, chat with vendors, get anything taped at the K-tape area, etc, you could easily be there 3-4 hours.

I would give yourself at least 2 hours, but be prepared for it to take a lot more hours. And keep in mind that some merchandise can sell out almost immediately. I ran the last half marathon at Disneyland in 2017 and the men's I did it shirts in almost all sizes were sold out by Friday afternoon. For a Sunday race. This could be especially magnified if the shirt you want is very popular. The biggest time sink will likely be official race merchandise especially if you go early on day one.
Again, it might be different this year, but they have had the expo all spread out. First building you come to has been all disney merchandise, so if disney merchandise is what you want, go there. Then you leave that building and you'll want to get your bib. Go to that building. Then go to the main merchandise building b/c they have the race shirts (which you have to have your bib to get), and you can see all the vendors on your way to and from getting your race shirt.
Exactly. For Marathon Weekend 2020, official race merchandise was in one building, bib pickup was in another building, and the race shirt pickup was in a third building along with all the vendors. I've found it to be a very good experience to at least see what the vendors have. I've picked up some great gear there that has been a game changer for me.

For Marathon Weekend 2020, official race merchandise was in one building, bib pickup was in another building, and the race shirt pickup was in a third building along with all the vendors. I've found it to be a very good experience to at least see what the vendors have. I've picked up some great gear there that has been a game changer for me.

This was still the set-up for Wine & Dine, so I would expect it to be the case for Marathon Weekend, too.

Hey everyone! This will be my first Princess Half and my second run Disney event (Star Wars Challenge 2018!). I’ve been using it as my motivation to get back into the fitness game after a year of pandemic blues! I’ve been following these threads to motivate and hype myself up (and get intel from the experts!) and thought I’d sign up and say hi :) Doing a 3 mile run tomorrow and I’m still getting back into the swing of things. On race day I am pllanning on doing some run/walk intervals and try to finish under the 3hr mark! But it’s been so long since I’ve been “peak” and with how crowded this race reportedly gets, I really just wanna finish feeling good!

Hey everyone! This will be my first Princess Half and my second run Disney event (Star Wars Challenge 2018!). I’ve been using it as my motivation to get back into the fitness game after a year of pandemic blues! I’ve been following these threads to motivate and hype myself up (and get intel from the experts!) and thought I’d sign up and say hi :) Doing a 3 mile run tomorrow and I’m still getting back into the swing of things. On race day I am pllanning on doing some run/walk intervals and try to finish under the 3hr mark! But it’s been so long since I’ve been “peak” and with how crowded this race reportedly gets, I really just wanna finish feeling good!

Welcome!

I'm still pumped for PW, but dunno if I'll be doing rD races every year. I got hailed on yesterday during my lunch run, and it wasn't by eager fans... At least the races are a big motivator to go outside when it's below freezing or worse

I'm still pumped for PW, but dunno if I'll be doing rD races every year. I got hailed on yesterday during my lunch run, and it wasn't by eager fans... At least the races are a big motivator to go outside when it's below freezing or worse
These races are what keeps me going in the winter.... I'm sure I'd slack off over the holidays without that "carrot" at the end.

Thoughts on a meetup at Hurricane Hannah's? A particular day or time, or no interest at all. My wife said dining reservations are coming up, so I figured I'd try and get out ahead of that piece of the planning puzzle.

Given the language of "start groups have designated arrival times" that still appears for the 5k/10k, it's hard to say what morning pre-race meetups we will be able to reliably schedule.

Thoughts on a meetup at Hurricane Hannah's? A particular day or time, or no interest at all. My wife said dining reservations are coming up, so I figured I'd try and get out ahead of that piece of the planning puzzle.

Given the language of "start groups have designated arrival times" that still appears for the 5k/10k, it's hard to say what morning pre-race meetups we will be able to reliably schedule.
I arrive on Friday so I couldn't do anything before that... otherwise I'm a firm "probably" :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter