Proof The Rumors Are True!!! TCD Relocation Plans!

Also, the dock at FW marina in this drawing is not at all like the existing dock. I'm curious if it is drawn according to how the dock looked in '82?

Here is my contribution.

My pictures are not showing up??

here is the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/baylake/5118223096/

Very nice.

Notice how the new resort backs up nicely to RC.

It's coming back, folks.

It will be refurbished, but it's coming back.

Mark my words.

I found something interesting:
Screenshot2010-10-26at122043PM.png

There is a design for a floating dock, which doesn't currently exist, under the drawing for a building, which doesn't exist. This is in the bottom left of the drawing, so it could be near the employee dock in RC.

Also, I noticed that the measured water levels were from '79 and '81. I suspect this drawing is from the original Cypress Lodge plans.

BTW, the blue box is labeled "fence" and the contours leading to it suggest the fence surrounds a culvert.

ShantaClausSm.png

Shan-man:

Both of those docks are there currently.

You can see them in this photo:

RCBoatDock.jpg

They are just to the west River Country.

They are off limits to guests, so I haven't been there personally, but I hear you can get there by heading down the dirt road that continues toward Bay Lake past the TCD horse barn.

Since I haven't ever been there, this is just speculation on my part, but the view from there might look a little something like this:

RiverCountry001.jpg

RiverCountry002.jpg

RiverCountry003.jpg

(That might be the floating dock there on the left-but I wouldn't know, since I have never been there).

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind staying in a resort with this view.

TCD

Here is my contribution.

My pictures are not showing up??

here is the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/baylake/5118223096/

I don't know why your photo is not showing up.

It must be a broken link or something.

I hope you don't mind, but I screen-capped it.

It is a really good photo, and I'm sure others would like to see it:

NewFWProject8.jpg

Shan-man, those two docks can be seen at the far left.

Also, this photo helps me understand why I couldn't find the Fort Wilderness Pavilion on the drawing . . . it looks like it is just south of the area depicted in the drawing.

And- from this photo, it looks like I was wrong about the location of the Upstream Plunge pool. It is also south of where I thought it was. Are they going to try to refurbish it? It could be!

Also, the dock at FW marina in this drawing is not at all like the existing dock. I'm curious if it is drawn according to how the dock looked in '82?

I agree with you here.

But, was the dock ever that short?

Maybe Google Earth has some old images?

I will check.

Very nice.

Notice how the new resort backs up nicely to RC.

It's coming back, folks.

It will be refurbished, but it's coming back.

Mark my words.

It does seem that way.

But, doubt it.

We will know when we see the rest of the plans.

TCD

Lisa- That image is awesome!

Great job! :thumbsup2

Is there any chance that you could post this on your website in a form that we could zoom in on things? Like on a PDF?

I'll give it a shot tonight. I won't be able to make it a PDF, because believe it or not, I don't have Adobe, but I can certainly put together a much larger image (I went with a screen sized image to make life easier, but I will blow them up really big and see if I can capture them in pieces and put them together again).

Wow..you guys just amaze me! :worship:. I have enough trouble figuring out how to use Facebook, never mind finding and deciphering the future plans of Disney projects! Anyway, once you are all done with this project, maybe you can put your heads together and find that crazed idiot Bin Laden. They way you all work together it should take, oh, maybe a week! You could then split the reward money and each buy a (future?) DVC at the Fort. It's a win-win situation!:cool1:. Anyway, great job. We are all anxiously awaiting further updates!

I know less than nothing about this, but for all of us out there like me I can say without a doubt I am enjoying learning something that I wouldn't get anyplace else. This is one of the reasons I love the camping boards. Keep the info coming and I'll try to keep up.

I'm glad you like it TCD! I was wondering if you would be looking for it too.

Some of the details on the pdf are great others are pretty poor though. Its also confusing the way it shows proposed things on top of the existing,
typically different line types are used to differentiate, but the way its shown it makes me think this is an Architects plan and not a detailed Engineer Site plan.
I wonder if the old wagons and playground are just shown because they were on the old linework or CAD file and haven't been updated. I figured out that's
the case near River Country, on this print it shows all the old stuff with the new buildings right over the top of it.

Check it out:

ZoomIn1.jpg

The new aerial photo overlays posted by others have helped me to look at things differently.

WBI- what you have marked as a proposed sidewalks above is actually the existing boardwalk from River Country. You can see it here:

RC.jpg

TCD

I don't know why your photo is not showing up.

It must be a broken link or something.

I hope you don't mind, but I screen-capped it.

It is a really good photo, and I'm sure others would like to see it:

NewFWProject8.jpg

Shan-man, those two docks can be seen at the far left.

Also, this photo helps me understand why I couldn't find the Fort Wilderness Pavilion on the drawing . . . it looks like it is just south of the area depicted in the drawing.

And- from this photo, it looks like I was wrong about the location of the Upstream Plunge pool. It is also south of where I thought it was. Are they going to try to refurbish it? It could be!

I agree with you here.

But, was the dock ever that short?

Maybe Google Earth has some old images?

I will check.

It does seem that way.

But, doubt it.

We will know when we see the rest of the plans.

TCD

Ahhh...how about a nice gentleman's wager? Say a nice pina colada at the Poly?

OK, based on WBI's suggestion that existing improvements are shown on the drawing, I looked again for the big remaining pool, and the remnants of the Pop's Place restaurant.

I think this is it:

NewFWProject5.jpg

If this theory is true, then the Fort Wilderness Pavilion should be shown somewhere on the drawing, but I don't see it.

When I first looked at the part of the drawing shown above, I thought that it was the pool for the new resort. But, it also looks like there is a building around it. They have never enclosed a pool at any of the WDW resorts. So, maybe this is supposed to show where the remaining pool is now, and then the footprint of the new building.

So, where will the pool be for this new resort?

It has to have a pool, right?

TCD

I got this wrong.

The area depicted in this portion of the drawing is not the Upstream Plunge pool or Pop's Place.

It is the area which was known as Indian Springs, and an adjacent building which was a gift shop.

You can see this area in this aerial photo:

NewFWProject9.jpg

We cannot see the Upstream Plunge pool or Pop's Place on the drawing.

TCD

Ahhh...how about a nice gentleman's wager? Say a nice pina colada at the Poly?

What is the bet?

That River Country will be back?

Are you saying all or part?

Open to the public, or just for this new resort?

Tell me what you say is going to happen, and you may be on for the wager.

But, I am not drinking a Pina Colada at the Poly.

Child please.

If we are betting, the drink will be consumed at Crockett's Tavern.

At good old Fort Wilderness!

(at least for now)

And, mine will not have a paper umbrella.

Man's game.

TCD

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind staying in a resort with this view.

TCD

Speaking of view...I am wondering why the orientation of the proposed buildings doesn't take more advantage of the view of the MK? Only the end building really has a view in that direction. Does the CR and BLT block the best views from this point? I would think that the fireworks we enjoy from the beach would be visible from here.
Now, if you rotated the layout 90 degrees counter-clockwise you could give all rooms (lake side at least) a lake view and take more advantage of the MK views as well. It would also follow the contour of the lake shore a little better.

The new aerial photo overlays posted by others have helped me to look at things differently.

WBI- what you have marked as a proposed sidewalks above is actually the existing boardwalk from River Country. You can see it here:

RC.jpg

TCD

You're right TCD, now that I'm looking at this aerial it's definitely the existing boardwalk, not proposed sidewalks.

Bay Lake Campers That's a great overlay! Also great job to everyone with all the CAD and GIS work! It really brings it into perspective.

Hope this helps you out TCD, I displayed the plans over the photo for you.
Good old ArcGIS. :)

5117886275_7f2412528d_b.jpg

ArcGis?

Gesundheit!

That photo is amazing!

Great job.

It really does put everything into perspective.

But, even with this help, I can't find something that I'm looking for.

This drawing shows existing improvements . . .

But, I can't find the existing River Country ticket window building.

Does anyone see it on the drawing?

Speaking of view...I am wondering why the orientation of the proposed buildings doesn't take more advantage of the view of the MK? Only the end building really has a view in that direction. Does the CR and BLT block the best views from this point? I would think that the fireworks we enjoy from the beach would be visible from here.
Now, if you rotated the layout 90 degrees counter-clockwise you could give all rooms (lake side at least) a lake view and take more advantage of the MK views as well. It would also follow the contour of the lake shore a little better.

You are right.

All I can think of is that they are emphasizing the view of the Cypress Swamp.
Discovery Island blocks the view of the MK from here. A little to the west, as you get past Discovery Island, the view is dominated by the Contemporary Resort and Bay Lake Tower. If the theme of this resort is a turn of the century hunting lodge, the CR/BLT view doesn't work.

And, after looking at BLC's photo, something really jumps out at me . . .

Doesn't the Fort Wilderness Pavilion look like it sits front and center of this whole project?

And, the Upstream Plunge pool sits right behind it.

Maybe the Pavilion isn't going anywhere.

The Backyard BBQ yes.

But not the pavilion.

TCD

This is too exciting. We just bought into DVC. We are staying at Kidani for two nights before moving over to the cabins for one last time, we love it at FW, but woulnd't use points on the cabin. We would have bought DVC at FW, if they had it.

NOW, instead of looking into adding on at the AKL, maybe we will see what we can find out about this here at the Fort. Think we'll be able to get anything out of the DVC reps???

I remember sitting outside Soarin a few years ago, talking to a DVC person who was off that day. He was telling me about a possible new DVC at CR. Maybe I'll run into someone like that in two weeks!!!

What is the bet?

Here's the bet:

I say River Country will back as follows:

- The original Whoop-'N-Holler body slides will be used
- The original tube ride will be used
- The Upstream Plunge pool will be used
- The Upstream Plunge slides will be used
- The rocks around Upstream Plunge and the body slides will stay
- The old swimming hole *may* be replaced with a traditional swimming pool
- The boom swing, tire swing, and zip line (or equivalents) will be used
- The park will be open to the public for a fee. DVC guests probably get in free
- The park will be named "River Country"

But, I am not drinking a Pina Colada at the Poly.

Child please.

If we are betting, the drink will be consumed at Crockett's Tavern.

At good old Fort Wilderness!

Fair enough.

And, mine will not have a paper umbrella.

Man's game.

TCD

I am secure enough in my masculinity to drink a froo froo drink, umbrella and all! However, if the drink must be consumed at Crockett's, the winner chooses (within reason, of course).

Oh, and here's something else I have to contribute.

This is the layout of a famous WDW resort:

AKL.jpg

Does anyone recognize it?

It's the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Here's a photo:

AKL1.jpg

The way the buildings on the new drawing are separated and curved reminds me of this.

The cool thing about AKL is that the areas between the buildings are enclosed, and also have outside viewing areas. It allows you to view the savannahs as you walk the interior halls. The layout of this new resort looks like it employs the same design concept.

The view of Bay Lake from here is really nice.

And it looks like that will be the emphasis of this portion of the resort.

Maybe some of the old River Country elements will be the emphasis of the part of the resort which we have yet to see.

TCD

Here's the bet:

I say River Country will back as follows:

- The original Whoop-'N-Holler body slides will be used
- The original tube ride will be used
- The Upstream Plunge pool will be used
- The Upstream Plunge slides will be used
- The rocks around Upstream Plunge and the body slides will stay
- The old swimming hole *may* be replaced with a traditional swimming pool
- The boom swing, tire swing, and zip line (or equivalents) will be used
- The park will be open to the public for a fee. DVC guests probably get in free
- The park will be named "River Country"

I am secure enough in my masculinity to drink a froo froo drink, umbrella and all! However, if the drink must be consumed at Crockett's, the winner chooses (within reason, of course).

OK.

You are on!

And, I will buy you whatever drink you want at Crockett's if you are right. If I am right, just a plain old beer will be fine.

Although it would be awesome if what you are predicting happens, I just cannot see it.

Do you have any source of information, or is this wishful thinking on your part?

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter