PSA: Colonoscopies!

My doctor has referred me to a gastroenterologist and recommended a colonoscopy. I want it done sooner than later. Crazy symptoms. My DH has had many and a surgery that solved the problem. Thanks for the reminder.

Good post, and hit home with me as my dad is going in for surgery on 12/28 to dissect his colon as he has cancer.
And he would never have known.
He was fortunate to have a mini stroke (TIA), yes fortunate. They discovered that was caused by a heart problem called Arterial Fibulation. So they put him on blood thinners. When they did that, they had to do a red blood cell count, and discovered he was low. He had to be bleeding from somewhere.
Scans and colonoscopy later, he has a 2.0.0 cancer in his colon. HE WOULD HAVE HAD NO IDEA (sorry to shout but this is important) had he not has that mini stroke.
His cancer is at a stage where it hasn’t spread, and fingers crossed, he will be cured by a 4 hours operation next week.
Here in the UK they give free tests of your stool samples looking for blood. He’d never do them. Fortunately he got very lucky. He didn’t think that when he has his TIA but it saved his life. Otherwise he’d have lived the next 6 months in blissful ignorance before finding out he had cancer spread all over his body.
Heed this story and get tested, be it colonoscopy or stool sample tests. Chances are you won’t have a TIA save you.

I just had one in October and everything looks good (my gastro doc was very concerned about the possibility of cancer). Get it done. The prep is miserable but it's sooo worth it.

The absolute best nap I ever had.

I was worried about saying something inappropriate when I was waking up but the nurse assured me that I didn't say anything out of line but she did add "what is said in the surgical room stays in the surgical room" :oops::oops::oops:

The absolute best nap I ever had.

I was worried about saying something inappropriate when I was waking up but the nurse assured me that I didn't say anything out of line but she did add "what is said in the surgical room stays in the surgical room" :oops::oops::oops:
Funny you say that about the nap...I'm a huge proponent now of it. Best ever.

I'm going to keep chatting away and will be the colonoscopy cover girl...keeping this going. Lol

I bought the Lab Corp home kit. Figured. What the heck I'm only 47, why do the big shebang. Home kit was positive, scheduled my colonoscopy. Three months later had my cancer surgery. So at least do the home test if nothing else.

^^^

Remember, the advised age has been lowered to 45.
DIL got her first one. Found a big polyp, luckily it was negative but she is supposed to go back in 3 years.

^^^

Remember, the advised age has been lowered to 45.
DIL got her first one. Found a big polyp, luckily it was negative but she is supposed to go back in 3 years.
Just FYI, even though the advised age has been lowered, doesn't mean insurance covers it under 50. I'm not saying to not get the procedure, but don't assume insurance will cover it.

I got one at 50, prep wasn't as bad as people have made it sound, and I agree with "best nap ever". Although everything was clear, and I was told 7 years until next one, looks like I'm getting another one next year because they found blood in my stool and my iron level has dropped. :(

Good post, and hit home with me as my dad is going in for surgery on 12/28 to dissect his colon as he has cancer.
And he would never have known.
He was fortunate to have a mini stroke (TIA), yes fortunate. They discovered that was caused by a heart problem called Arterial Fibulation. So they put him on blood thinners. When they did that, they had to do a red blood cell count, and discovered he was low. He had to be bleeding from somewhere.
Scans and colonoscopy later, he has a 2.0.0 cancer in his colon. HE WOULD HAVE HAD NO IDEA (sorry to shout but this is important) had he not has that mini stroke.
His cancer is at a stage where it hasn’t spread, and fingers crossed, he will be cured by a 4 hours operation next week.
Here in the UK they give free tests of your stool samples looking for blood. He’d never do them. Fortunately he got very lucky. He didn’t think that when he has his TIA but it saved his life. Otherwise he’d have lived the next 6 months in blissful ignorance before finding out he had cancer spread all over his body.
Heed this story and get tested, be it colonoscopy or stool sample tests. Chances are you won’t have a TIA save you.

I have a similar story (long story - short for now - DH - AFIB/Ablation/on extra blood thinners recently. Last month needed transfusion since hemoglobin was 7.2. Thought it was the blood thinners and surprise surprise after running a ton of tests .....colon cancer. last colonoscopy was in 9/2022. Having surgery Wed. We will wait then for those results to see if any treatments are needed :(.

Just FYI, even though the advised age has been lowered, doesn't mean insurance covers it under 50. I'm not saying to not get the procedure, but don't assume insurance will cover it.

I got one at 50, prep wasn't as bad as people have made it sound, and I agree with "best nap ever". Although everything was clear, and I was told 7 years until next one, looks like I'm getting another one next year because they found blood in my stool and my iron level has dropped. :(
I was thinking I would try to find a song associated with a nap but kept reading your post. Not the right time.

Take care

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter