PSA Reminder--Daylight Savings Time

All the people who say they like DST because we get an extra hour of daylight. I think some believe it being lighter later in the day equals more daylight, not just shifting that daylight from morning to evening.
Anyone who believes we magically get an extra hour of sunlight because someone says so needs to go back to school.

Depending on schedules, it IS possible that someone can take advantage of extra light in the evenings. For example:
Standard time: lets say sunrise at 7am and sunset at 6pm. So 11 hours of "light"
Savings time" subrise would be 8am and sunsetv7pm. Still 11 hours of light.

But if their work schedule is say 6am to 3p... under standard time, they have 3 hours of light after their shift. Under standard time, they get 4. So yes, they may consider saving time as giving them an extra hour.

One discovery for me today with the time change. My wife was resetting the clock in her 2020 Camry and it has a specific "Daylight Saving" time button that changes the time forward or backward depending on the time of the year.
A feature that would become obsolete if they eliminate Daylight Saving time, and is currently unneeded if the car is kept in an area that does not observe Daylight Saving time.
Never seen that feature in a car before.

I found it interesting. According to what USA Today published, DST was *NOT* created to "help farmers". It was to save on fuel costs during WWI. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ht-saving-time-purpose-explained/11275474002/
Yeah, I don’t know how that farmer nonsense got started. Farmers have always used sunrise/sunset at their clocks, no matter what “time” they occur.

If the US ever goes to permanent DST I see the same complaints that occurred in early 1974 when it was instituted during the so-called Energy Crisis. It would get light out too late for many people from November thru March, especially in western parts of time zones. Sunrise after 9 am in Indiana and Michigan near the winter solstice?

I like DST but I wish it would revert to the last Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October. No need to extend it for a longer period.

All the people who say they like DST because we get an extra hour of daylight. I think some believe it being lighter later in the day equals more daylight, not just shifting that daylight from morning to evening.
You don't really think that's what people mean when they say that, do you? They merely mean that during times that they have to themselves rather than to work, there is more daylight because there is more daylight in the evening hours.

images

One discovery for me today with the time change. My wife was resetting the clock in her 2020 Camry and it has a specific "Daylight Saving" time button that changes the time forward or backward depending on the time of the year.
A feature that would become obsolete if they eliminate Daylight Saving time, and is currently unneeded if the car is kept in an area that does not observe Daylight Saving time.
Never seen that feature in a car before.
I have DST features on the clock in my vehicle and my wall clock. I can't get either one to work correctly so I have to set them manually twice/year.

I drove by a Starbucks yesterday around 4 pm and saw a long (10+ vehicles) in the drive thru lane. Not surprised. Moving the clocks around stinks.

I drove by a Starbucks yesterday around 4 pm and saw a long (10+ vehicles) in the drive thru lane. Not surprised. Moving the clocks around stinks.
I don't think I have seen fewer than 10 cars in line at my local Starbucks on any given day at any given time. The line is always wrapped around the building blocking the parking spots in the front.

Not sure that one can be definitively tied to time change.

I don't think I have seen fewer than 10 cars in line at my local Starbucks on any given day at any given time. The line is always wrapped around the building blocking the parking spots in the front.

Not sure that one can be definitively tied to time change.
Never really thought about it, but the two Starbucks closest to my house don't have drive throughs, walk in only.

Ah, only once a year? Not twice a year like they recommend?
Changing the batteries on your smoke detector doesn’t make sense anymore to do it at time change. Yes you should still change it twice a year or whatever is recommend. If you did at time change you will be doing it 8 months than at 4 months. Six months makes more sense if you’re going to change it twice a year.

Changing the batteries on your smoke detector doesn’t make sense anymore to do it at time change. Yes you should still change it twice a year or whatever is recommend. If you did at time change you will be doing it 8 months than at 4 months. Six months makes more sense if you’re going to change it twice a year.
Well, also doesn't make sense since most smoke detectors have 10 year batteries you can't change. Just check the expiration date, and if they are 10 years old, toss them in the trash and buy new ones. Even the one's with replaceable batteries, the smoke detector needs to be replaced every 10 years. I did that last month. Although a couple of my smoke detectors were 12 years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter