Public restroom-be very aware of your surroundings

someone had posted that a friend went to Turkey and the bathroom was literally a hole in the ground
along those lines a friend of mind is going crazy cause she has a chance to go to Tanziana and shes explaning how parts of where theyre going the bathroom is an actual hole in the ground--shes laughing over this but it sure isnt somewhere Id want to go--
my DH would tell me stories when is was younger that there family trip was to northern WI and they had to use an outhouse--no thanks to that too--

this same friend said that a few years ago we took a terrific cruise to europe and Im telling her all the places we went and she says thats some place I would never want to go--yet shell go where theres no indoor bathroom and thinks its fun--
You and @Neapolitan Ice Cream need to get together. Everyone has different ideas on what's important/fun to them and what they're willing to pay.

Here's what I'm referencing: https://www.disboards.com/threads/wow-just-wow.3910503/#post-64622496

We took a trip to Barcelona in 2017. Here's a shot from the door of the bathroom. That's DW sitting on the bed...
The bathroom in our room at the resort (link) we are staying at in Belize this May is going to be...interesting.
The toilet and sink look like it has a glass door to the private courtyard, where the shower is enclased in glass to the outside, and the tub is outdoors. Really hoping no one can see in, lol.

Actually, you were making a SUBJECTIVE point.

Well, not really. You pay less in one holiday than you do in the other. Coupled DIRECTLY to this is the fact that the accommodation is superior, flights paralleled but cheaper and perks about the same (although I do concede that parks alone in Orlando will see you back several hundred ALONE)

Sometimes they don’t have pictures on the doors but words in the local language, and you have to think carefully before entering. Sometimes the images aren’t so obvious.
I ran into that in Puerto Rico several weeks back. I went back to the table and asked my husband (who knows a wee bit of Spanish) what the words meant and he didn't know so he looked it up.

Problem is this place was trying to be clever and so they used animals. I did go in the correct one it would appear. It was just a single bathroom though so maybe wouldn't have been the end of the world to have ended up in the wrong one..I'm not sure.

Well, not really. You pay less in one holiday than you do in the other. Coupled DIRECTLY to this is the fact that the accommodation is superior, flights paralleled but cheaper and perks about the same (although I do concede that parks alone in Orlando will see you back several hundred ALONE)
Yes, the amount you pay is objective. When you compared what you get for the money is where it's subjective.

Allow me to get back on track. I am simply comparing apples to apples. Your accommodation is drastically cheaper in Spain. It is also amazingly more plush. Food is of a much higher quality in Spain and is also cheaper. Leisure facilities are far more abundant in Spain. In fact, the ONLY edge Orlando has are the parks. So why would anyone pay 3 times more to go to Orlando unless you really, really wanted to visit Disney?

Allow me to get back on track. I am simply comparing apples to apples. Your accommodation is drastically cheaper in Spain. It is also amazingly more plush. Food is of a much higher quality in Spain and is also cheaper. Leisure facilities are far more abundant in Spain. In fact, the ONLY edge Orlando has are the parks. So why would anyone pay 3 times more to go to Orlando unless you really, really wanted to visit Disney?
We're WAY away from the subject of the thread, so I'm bowing out of this conversation, but again people have their own ideas of what's important to them.

Except that it's not an apples to apples comparison. A luxury resort in Spain is not the same as a theme park vacation in Orlando. It's completely an apples to oranges comparison.

But whatever. Let's go back to discussing bathrooms.

When did indoor loos become the norm in the US? In the U.K. most Victorian/industrial revolution era houses were built with outdoor loos. Over time a bedroom has been sacrificed for a bathroom or sometimes a small extension is added downstairs to the kitchen. It’s unusual to find houses with only an outdoor loo now, but until the mid 70s it was quite common.

When did indoor loos become the norm in the US? In the U.K. most Victorian/industrial revolution era houses were built with outdoor loos. Over time a bedroom has been sacrificed for a bathroom or sometimes a small extension is added downstairs to the kitchen. It’s unusual to find houses with only an outdoor loo now, but until the mid 70s it was quite common.
I was born in 1970 and I only remember indoor bathrooms. DW however (born in 69) remembers an outhouse, but she also lived out in the country.

Ah, Europe, where they charge for bathrooms, at least in some places. And you'd think, if you have to pay, that there would at least be a toilet seat. You'd think wrong! (I'm looking at YOU, Pompeii!) A lot of the bathrooms in Italy, in particular, were...primitive.

But the oddest thing we encountered was in a ritzy hotel in France. Just inside the hotel room was the WC. Okay, fine--but if you wanted to wash your hand afterwards, you had to walk further down and do a U-turn into the main bathroom, where the sink and tub/shower were. Do the French not believe in hand washing after using the toilet? It was particularly odd since the hotel had been recently renovated. It had cool features like the TV was behind a mirror, and it was steps away from the Arc de Triomphe/Champs D'Elysee.

I was born in 1970 and I only remember indoor bathrooms. DW however (born in 69) remembers an outhouse, but she also lived out in the country.
Grandparents had bathrooms in the house in the 30/40s here in CA. During the gold rush (I think 1900 times?) in the foothills of the Sierras, they did have a toilet with a pipe that went into the river. Downieville.

But the oddest thing we encountered was in a ritzy hotel in France. Just inside the hotel room was the WC. Okay, fine--but if you wanted to wash your hand afterwards, you had to walk further down and do a U-turn into the main bathroom, where the sink and tub/shower were. Do the French not believe in hand washing after using the toilet? It was particularly odd since the hotel had been recently renovated. It had cool features like the TV was behind a mirror, and it was steps away from the Arc de Triomphe/Champs D'Elysee.

Maybe this is why they kiss each other on the cheek instead of shake hands? :crazy2:

I've had the same experience in Mexico. I also had to pay 25 cent for each square of toilet tissue.

I few decades ago, my BFF went to Russia for a semester college exchange program. He had to bring his own toilet paper everywhere. It wasn't even supplied at public toilets.

We used to have to pay to use the public bathrooms in the U.S. It became illegal about 50 years ago. One of the reasons it became illegal was that women were the ones that ended up paying as they used stalls with toilets. The machine to insert a coin was locking the doors to the stalls.

Meanwhile, men used open access urinals in their bathrooms and didn't have to pay.
Groups of girls would go to pay bathrooms together and hold the door open for the next girl in line. And sometimes a brave one would slither under the door instead of paying to start the process.

My father said men had to pay to use the stalls.

I remember some restrooms with either turnstiles to enter or an attendant to pay, both for men and women. Usually at places like the State Fair, amusement parks, etc.

My mom had one all her life born in the 1940s. I believe her parents did, too, born in 1918 and 1920.

My dad, raised on a farm in South Dakota, never had indoor plumbing growing up.

His parents added a bathroom to their farmhouse between 1965 and 1967 after he was drafted for Vietnam.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter