• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Purchasing 2017 GMC Acadia (SLT2 orDenali?) - Negotiation Tips?

Muddy Rivers

DIS Veteran
I am looking to purchase a 2017 GMC Acadia. Probably the SLT2 Level (or Denali if I get a great price). Currently there is a 15% discount from GMC. Since the dealer is not giving that as it's coming from GMC, can I expect to get anything else off from the dealer? If so, how to go about it and what to ask for?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many Thanks!!

You can always negotiate. Go to a few dealers and pit them against each other.

I'm currently in a lease for a 2015 Acadia denali. Lease is up in a couple of months. But I will say that there's not much difference between the slt2 and Denali. You might want to save the money.

You can always negotiate. Go to a few dealers and pit them against each other.

I'm currently in a lease for a 2015 Acadia denali. Lease is up in a couple of months. But I will say that there's not much difference between the slt2 and Denali. You might want to save the money.
Jumping in to ask a leasing question. My family has always bought, but I am curious about leasing. All the information I've found is for 10,000/year leases. Is that standard? We use significantly more than that since we live out in the boonies, several miles from everything.

Jumping in to ask a leasing question. My family has always bought, but I am curious about leasing. All the information I've found is for 10,000/year leases. Is that standard? We use significantly more than that since we live out in the boonies, several miles from everything.

We always do 12k a year. You can do whatever you want. Obviously the more mileage a year the higher the monthly payment. But it makes sense if you drive a lot bc it can sometimes be 25cents a mile of what you go over.

We always do 12k a year. You can do whatever you want. Obviously the more mileage a year the higher the monthly payment. But it makes sense if you drive a lot bc it can sometimes be 25cents a mile of what you go over.
Thank you! I know DH prefers to buy, but at this point, I'd rather lease a vehicle and have it under a full warranty than buy one a couple years old and have to fix it ourselves constantly (we've had the worst luck with our last one). Thanks again!

Thank you! I know DH prefers to buy, but at this point, I'd rather lease a vehicle and have it under a full warranty than buy one a couple years old and have to fix it ourselves constantly (we've had the worst luck with our last one). Thanks again!

We always lease, but our next lease dh might lease with the option to buy out at the end of the lease. He drives back and forth to the train and puts little mileage on. He is turning in his 3 year lease with 16k! I have a car the same amount of time with 37k!

Some cars are better to buy off a lease than others depending on how they hold their value. The Lexus RX and Dodge Durango are two good example

Any tips on negotiating the best deal to purchase?

We don't purchase, but even with a lease we go to a few dealers and make them compete. Car dealers are hurting now and they'll be desperate for business. Especially for the 2017 Acadia bc the 2018 traverse is coming out in a few weeks and they know it's going to take a lot of their business from them.

Do NOT go to the dealers...get equotes from 3-4 for exactly what you want. Ask them to guarantee a 48 hour hold on their price. Pick the best value (price to perks), go test drive the car, and buy it if they hold to the price exactly. If they try anything, walk out and go to the 2nd best value dealer - rinse, repeat.

EDIT: And when I say a price, I mean the bottom line price - every tax, fee, whatever tacked on and every incentive taken off. Tell them if you need financing and have that also figured into the deal. And you want them to price an EXACT car - if that car is not the one they have when you get there, walk out:)...

It's in your favor it's end of the model year. They'll want to work a little harder to sell the 17 since the 18 will be out in a few weeks. If you have a REALISTIC payment (ie not $250/ month on an a $40k car) they'll be more likely to agree to it. I would figure out what you want your payment to be. Also, if you have a credit union in your area, check their rates. They may have better loan options than the dealer.

Go on line look up dealers in your area... Check the stock most of not all dealerships have this... otherwise GMC will have it. The dealership will all have an internet department email them about a specific vehicle they have and ask them the out the door price including all fees--let them know if you are paying cash financing with them or outside. You need the out the door price as dealerships will give you a low offer than make it up with other fees... If you will get more than 15% off likely not... the dealers do share in the incentive it is not all given to them by GM. I have found with the GM cars the discount offered is the price and dealers will not be happy if you ask for more or say well that is the manufacturer incentive what are you offering on top of that... But you can check KBB as they have a forum that tells you what people are actually paying.... But you may have to drive a few states over to get better deals which will likely negate the few hundred you may save.

If you have multiple dealers in your area, pit them against each other for the lowest price. Call and talk with their internet sales department. Tell them exactly what you want and get them to quote their DRIVE OUT price. That includes everything - all taxes and fees.

Tell one dealership if another one's price is lower - they will meet or beat it if they can and need a sale.

I have used this method the last few times we have purchased a car. Has worked out great for us, but we are in metro Atlanta, so we have lots of dealerships to work with. I ended up with a Honda Odyssey Touring Elite for the price of a Touring - saved us multiple thousands of dollars :)

Car nut here...their my passion, hobby and profession (sort of...I work in auto claims). Few suggestions.

First, from a financial perspective, leasing is not good. Especially on cars that have a steep depreciation curve, like GM products do. You're basically paying all that depreciation and then walking away with nothing. I understand why people lease, but from a money standpoint, I'd stay away.

If you're open to it, look at a lightly used one. Maybe a 2015 or 2016. As I said, GM resale value is terrible, so you can get a nearly new one for far, far less than brand spanking new.

If you do want to buy new, don't get caught up in that "15% off" baloney. It's all marketing. That's 15% off MSRP, which has nothing to do with the actual value or sale price of the vehicle. That's just to try to get you into the showroom. Best advice I can give is to broaden your search. If you're buying brand new, search all over...even hundreds of miles away. If it's a brand spanking new car with 0 miles, it'll be in mint condition, so you don't need to go see it in person. Go to your local dealer so you can touch, feel, drive, smell, whatever. Make sure you like it. Then go onto Autotrader or Cars.com and search hundreds of miles for what you want. Find the 4 or 5 lowest priced models and start pitting the dealers against each other. Last one standing wins. You very well may wind up paying thousands less than a local dealer would charge. Worst case scenario, you pay to have the car shipped to you. Shipping is only a few hundred bucks. So if you save $2500 on the sale, and spend $500 to ship the car in, you've netted a $2000 savings. I've done this many times.

I have always used sites like Edmunds.com to find what the true cost of the car is, what incentives are currently being offered, and what people in my area are paying for such a vehicle. It is amazing how many incentives the dealers can "forget" to tell you about!

That's 15% off MSRP, which has nothing to do with the actual value or sale price of the vehicle. That's just to try to get you into the showroom. .
Like Consumer Reports says, never negotiate down from MSRP, negotiate up from wholesale cost. Not Dealer Cost, wholesale. What the car will cost the dealer after they sell the car because they get a percentage of the dealer cost of the car back from the automaker when they sell the car. Usually 3%. Car dealerships can sell car at dealer cost and make money, because of those holdbacks

Any tips on negotiating the best deal to purchase?

My in laws just bought a 2017 Acadia Denali on June 30th (note last day of the month). They got a great deal because the car salesman was trying to earn top sales of the month (which he did from that sale). So I thought that was a lesson learned for our next purchase...go at the end of the month.

It's in your favor it's end of the model year. They'll want to work a little harder to sell the 17 since the 18 will be out in a few weeks. If you have a REALISTIC payment (ie not $250/ month on an a $40k car) they'll be more likely to agree to it. I would figure out what you want your payment to be. Also, if you have a credit union in your area, check their rates. They may have better loan options than the dealer.

Yes, definitely walk in with your own financing -- whether it's from your bank, a credit union, etc. We just bought a Jeep Wrangler. Hard to get those prices down, but we got it down some, had a good vehicle on trade & got what we wanted for it (b/c we had an offer on it from Car Max already). Then, financing. They tried to tell us, "banks look at Jeeps as toys, so even with good credit the interest rate is never low on them. You definitely won't get 0%, probably not even 2-3%." Riiight... We had great financing from our bank, but didn't tell them at first what it was just that we had it. They came back with an interest rate over 6% for 6 years and I just laughed. Showed them our bank offer and told them to beat it if they wanted to finance. Best they could do was match, but in the end we took it since it was also a bank we do business with. It felt good proving them wrong, though, about the interest rate.

Actually, you'll get a better price deal if you finance through the dealer, as the dealer earns a profit when you do. Their second favorite choice is your own financing. Their least favorite sale is cash.

Actually, you'll get a better price deal if you finance through the dealer, as the dealer earns a profit when you do. Their second favorite choice is your own financing. Their least favorite sale is cash.
Just curious. Why would the dealer prefer your own financing over cash? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter