Question about Castaway Cay Snorkeling

Amymomof3

Welcomed Guest<br><font color=orange>Newbie but we
We are bringing our own snorkeling gear with us on the crusie. We bought our own for a few dollars more than the price we would have paid to rent them. Anyway...are we still allowed to go in the 12 acre snorkel lagoon on Castaway Cay, or is that only for people that rent the equipment? What is the lagoon like? I read (in Disney brochure) there is one called Discover Trail and one called Explorer trail. I'd appreciate all info.
Thanks!

Our first Disney Cruise- 05/04/03

We just returned from 2/22 Eastern on the Magic. You can use your own equipment but must get a vest(free of charge I believe) to snorkel. The lagoon is great and has all sorts of bouys marked out. I found if you swam from one bouy to the next it would take you over the artificial habitat they have set there. We saw all sorts of fish and a sea cucumber. We talked to people who saw a couple of Rays also. The lagon is adjacent to the family beach but we also heard there was better snorkeling at the adult beach as people saw star fish, etc. Next time I will try that out. Hope this helps.

Woody64

Thanks for the quick reply! :D
We have 3 young children (two of which will have to go to Flounder's...which doesn't open until 1:00) so we won't be able to snorkel until later. Hopefully the water won't be *too* murky.
Thanks again!

Hi,

If your 3rd child is going to be snorkeling with you keep in mind that the lagoon near the family beach is a pretty good trek for the younger set. At least the longer trail. Last time we there my DD, then 10, needed a little help from Dad on the last part of the trail. She isn't the strongest swimmer but no slouch either. This was also in Feb so the water was on the cool side (not cold) which was also tiring.

She fell sound asleep on the lounge chair when we were back up on the beach!

Deb

My oldest just turned 5, so she is too young. She will be going to Oceaneers.
Thanks!

Is an eight year yooung ( he is a pretty good swimmer) for this exursion and how much is it? Do you have to make a reservation and would you suggest this at Catsaway? thanks:p

For those children that are too young for the snorkle area..

I have an almost 6 yr old, a 4 1/2 yr old and a 3 yr old. If I get the older 2 goggles and we just swim around a bit, do you think they will see anything? My son would really get a kick out of seeing some fish..

Jess

Hi Jess Our kids saw fish swimming around @ the family beach just last Saturday, so even if your kids are too young to snorkel they should be able to see some swimming around . They're beautiful. Have fun...we can't wait to go again!

Thank you for the fast reply. I LOVE these boards.

I am soooo excited.

Jess

Hey all! I have snorkeled on the CC beach twice with my youngest and ...... please be careful. Last year, she was 12 and when we went out to the further buoys, she had a hard time and needed my help getting back. Please be conservative, when you are going out because the water gets rougher the closer you get to the ocean and the kids have a harder time. However, this is a really neat experience and your kids will enjoy it...because....Disney always makes every experience neat!

If you have two adults to help with taking younger kids, take them!

Hey folks, just got back TODAY from the Wonder. Snorkeled with my 8 year old daughter at Castaway Cay. She did fine, but had to learn the breathing technique. We did the whole snorkel area. She did fine - she a pretty good swimmer, especially if you inflate the vest they give you - FREE.

We saw a stingray and a bunch of fish - we were out there from about 1:45 until 3:00 p.m.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter