• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about flying with children that aren't mine-Southwest

sdoll

DIS Veteran
We invited our neighbor boys to join us at Bonnet Creek this summer. We had planned on driving but with the price of flights I was able to fly all 7 of us down for just a bit more than the cost of driving (feeding 7 12-14 year olds). We will be flying Southwest what documentation do you suggest I have from the families of the boys that are traveling with us other than the medical release. I have never flown with children other than mine.

Again, thing. TSA won’t look at letters. They are easily forged. Even a medical release letter is iffy. The hospital would first try to call the parents. While in the security line at MCO the TSA agent I spoke to said they won’t look at letters.

Again, thing. TSA won’t look at letters. They are easily forged. Even a medical release letter is iffy. The hospital would first try to call the parents. While in the security line at MCO the TSA agent I spoke to said they won’t look at letters.
In regards to medical emergencies. If you think that there may an issue in contacting the parents, you might want to look into what cruise lines require. Something along the lines of a notarized statement that you are able to make medical decisions if the parents can't be reached. Also have copies of insurance coverage that they have under their parents family coverage (provided they have a medical insurance policy). Maybe a bit of overkill, so to speak, but just spitballing.

In the last year or so, I was on a cruise. When we were in St Thomas, I turned off my cell phone "airplane" mode. (St Thomas is considered a US call/data plan vs International) Got a voice mail from the boarding/vet that were boarding our cat. While it wasn't an emergency/emergency, they needed authorization to administrate some medication. I gave them the okay to do so.

Mind you they had my SIL contact information for any type things involving the cat. Let's just say I had a little conversation with them when I got back. When we board the cat and we are not readily available the POC is authorized to make decisions.

With a child there are more implications.

Neither Southwest nor TSA will need anything.

That said, even with my own son who looks freakishly like me, the agents ask him for his full name, and sometimes who I am to him. Don’t be thrown. They aren’t grilling you or second guessing you or about to push a button to call FBI agents. They are just doing their thing. The kids answer, everyone moves along.

Neither Southwest nor TSA will need anything.

That said, even with my own son who looks freakishly like me, the agents ask him for his full name, and sometimes who I am to him. Don’t be thrown. They aren’t grilling you or second guessing you or about to push a button to call FBI agents. They are just doing their thing. The kids answer, everyone moves along.
Those questions are normal for minors.

The only time I've seen anywhere near what you're thinking of needing (a letter) was for cruises and international flights (depends often on the country one is going to) both of which because there's normally that international aspect and the letter ususally served just to provide physical proof of permission to cross international borders.

Your trip OP isn't anywhere near that so you're good.

Those questions are normal for minors.

Yes, that’s what I was saying.

Some people see these same questions as interrogations. That they’ve done something wrong (like the people whoindicate that TSA has a problem with something simply because they checked through their bag). That’s why I brought it up, to indicate that it happens and it’s fine and nothing to be freaked out about.

I have flown with children who are not mine several times and needed nothing for either TSA or SWA. My son has been going through TSA basically alone since he was 8 or 9. Sure, we’re right there behind him but he steps up to the podium alone and proceeds forward on his own.

I’ve also been with a group of eighth graders on a school trip and very few had a parent and those parents weren’t with their child. Not a single problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter