Question about moving plants and bulbs

BernardandMissBianca

Rum makes math fun!
DH is building a deck in the spring and we are going to cover the area where some plants are now. I have hostas, daffodils, iris, and Stella D'Oro lilies.
My question is will it be ok to move them in the late spring or will it be too late?
The iris don't bloom well in this spot but the daffodils have been here since the first owner and they really like it there.
I live in Northeastern CT if that helps.
Any advice would be wonderful!

You can move the hosta and daylilies any time, but if the hosta are large, you want to move them before they leaf out, just to make it easier on yourself.
Best to move the iris and daffodils after flowering. When moving the iris, it's a good time to clean and divide the roots, making sure that each fan division has a good, firm, healthy piece of rhizome (the fat part of the root) attached. Cut away any soft piece of rhizome, and replant (close to the surface) in nice, rich, compost-amended soil.
When moving the daffs, either wait until the foliage has died back, or move them carefully, trying not to disturb the roots and foliage too much, and replant at the same depth they were at previously.

Thanks Mindy!
What is compost amended soil? It that ground dirt with planting soil mixed in?

The irises were in pretty good shape when I planted them (2 years ago). I actually had them in a wire freezer drawer out in the garage for 2 years and 90% of them came back up. Not sure how that happened! LOL But they were my MIL's and she got them from her mother so I move them when we move.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter