Question about Ponchos

princessmeee

Earning My Ears
Hi! We are taking a trip in a couple weeks. For those of you who have gone in June, would it be wise to bring rain ponchos? Where do you typically buy yours? I have looked locally and can't find any in our Wal-Mart/Dollar Tree stores. TIA!

yes! bring your own, walmart have them at the camping aisle they are packed on a small bag and are 97 cents each, I always buy 2 per person and because they are small they fit easily on my park bag even on a pocket, if you don't bring your own you will definitely will find ponchos everywhere in the park when rain starts but you will spend much more, park ponchos are nice sturdy and make for a souvenir, but walmart ones are so ridiculous cheap and easy to carry and afterwards you can keep it or dispose them, they are thin but do the job.
Have a great trip! :wave:

I have found them at my local grocery store up front with the umbrellas. I have also found them at Dicks sporting goods, bed bath and beyond, and target.

Thanks so much! We just looked at the forecast for the days we will be there and it calls for rain pretty much most of our trip so hoping the ponchos will help! :)

I brought mine on our trip a couple of weeks ago (and we had not one drop of rain, go figure). Anyway, I shop at Meijer and they are in the camping/outdoor section. I would think Wal Mart would have them in the same section.

We always just bring a couple of the dollar store cheapies with us in our backpack, just in case. The one time years ago we had to buy the actually Disney ones was enough for me - those suckers added up in price.

Thanks so much! We just looked at the forecast for the days we will be there and it calls for rain pretty much most of our trip so hoping the ponchos will help! :)

It is FAR, FAR too early to look at any weather forecast for Florida for June. Anything beyond 4-5 days has little accuracy. Wait and look again when you get much closer. Rain is very common in Florida in June. However, it's not likely to rain all day...not that it can't, but it usually doesn't. It'll be sunny, then a nasty t-storm will come through, then the sun will come back out 30 minutes later. That's common, nearly every day. Or you may have plenty of days where they predict scattered t-storms and you get nothing. Last summer we were there for 17 days...I'd bet they predicted scattered storms for at least 7 or 8 of them, if not more. It rained on us exactly once. We had a few nights where it rained overnight, but who cares.

As for ponchos, yes, search harder at Wal-Mart. They're in the camping section. If your local store doesn't have them, they can have them shipped in for free. They're super cheap, really easy to use and store. Just personal opinion, but I wouldn't spend my money on a Disney one. I'd rather use that money for a much better souvenir or experience.

I always go to Target and buy 2 per person. That way in case of daily showers, everyone can carry a dry one with them while the wet one is drying in the room.

What about the ones at WDW can you still return them if they tear and get a new one free of charge? People reported they were able to do this last year.

I buy the ones at Target, they are like $1.50 each, but they come in colors, so to me, that's worth the extra 50 cents because it's easier to spot my kids if we get seperated in a crowd if they are in lime green or red.

Our first trip it rained the WHOLE time. I'm not joking, those Target ponchos lasted 4 days with no rips. We had brought extras, but just kept shaking those off and drying overnight, just to see if we could.

I buy the ones at Target, they are like $1.50 each, but they come in colors, so to me, that's worth the extra 50 cents because it's easier to spot my kids if we get seperated in a crowd if they are in lime green or red.

Our first trip it rained the WHOLE time. I'm not joking, those Target ponchos lasted 4 days with no rips. We had brought extras, but just kept shaking those off and drying overnight, just to see if we could.

Even the $.97 WalMart ones are pretty tough if you don't do anything stupid with them. Our will last an entire year or more...we had the same set of them for our AP in 2015-2016, which was like 50 park days...of course it didn't rain that often, but we always had them with us.

We always take a dollar store trip for ponchos, mesh bags (for laundry), snacks and toiletries. The best way to guarantee that it will rain is to go without a poncho :)

YES. Bring ponchos. In June it can be sunny one minute and POURING the next. Also consider wearing shoes that can get wet like flip flops or having a change of shoes. I got caught in a June downpour last year and it was not pleasant to be in soaked sneakers and socks. From then on, we took flip flops with us and that helped tremendously in the next downpour.

That's a good idea. I will have to check Target tomorrow.

YES. Bring ponchos. In June it can be sunny one minute and POURING the next. Also consider wearing shoes that can get wet like flip flops or having a change of shoes. I got caught in a June downpour last year and it was not pleasant to be in soaked sneakers and socks. From then on, we took flip flops with us and that helped tremendously in the next downpour.
I hadn't thought about the shoe situation. Good tip!

It is FAR, FAR too early to look at any weather forecast for Florida for June. Anything beyond 4-5 days has little accuracy. Wait and look again when you get much closer. Rain is very common in Florida in June. However, it's not likely to rain all day...not that it can't, but it usually doesn't. It'll be sunny, then a nasty t-storm will come through, then the sun will come back out 30 minutes later. That's common, nearly every day. Or you may have plenty of days where they predict scattered t-storms and you get nothing. Last summer we were there for 17 days...I'd bet they predicted scattered storms for at least 7 or 8 of them, if not more. It rained on us exactly once. We had a few nights where it rained overnight, but who cares.

As for ponchos, yes, search harder at Wal-Mart. They're in the camping section. If your local store doesn't have them, they can have them shipped in for free. They're super cheap, really easy to use and store. Just personal opinion, but I wouldn't spend my money on a Disney one. I'd rather use that money for a much better souvenir or experience.
Good to know. We will be there for 10 days so I'm sure it won't rain the entire time but just trying to plan as much as we can. I think I'm going to check Target tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter