Question about the tunnels in Baltimore

always quiet

Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the hyd
When we went down to Disney in 2000, we exited I 95 and took the Francis Scott Key Bridge instead of the Fort McHenry tunnel. When we went down last Dec., we accidentially missed the exit for the bridge and so we stayed on 95 til we got to the tunnel. We figured we'd have to double back at that point. We explained to the woman taking the toll money and she asked us what we were towing (we have a hi lo and it lowers to sit about the height of the mini van so not everyone knows what it is when they see it!) She told us it was no problem....take the tunnel all the way to the right. Directly about the tunnel was a sign that said "All trucks and trailers". We paid the additional toll and happily drove through the tunnel. :p (I do NOT like the bridge!!:bounce: )

When we got home I told my sister about the changes with the tunnel. She doesn't believe me! They went down after me and said the trialer sign is not there and I was breaking the law! :eek: Does anyone know if they used to allow campers to go through the tunnel? I thought maybe the additional security on the US ports could of changed their policy but she insists her DH, who used to drive trucks, said it was never allowed. :confused:

I no longer take 95 that far north, but I used to pick it up in Philly. To be honest with you, I always took the tunnel. I saw the signs about flammable materials, but every other tunnel I have been on allowed the small amount we carry on board as propane, so I just cruised on through. Not a single toll collector said anything, and one time the car behind me was a state trooper and he never stopped me. I have frequently seen class A's and TT's in the tunnel. Is it legal? I don't really know! But if you asked the toll collector and they allowed it, I would assume it was.

I now take route 15 south to 270 east in Frederick, Md. That goes to the west loop of 495 at Washington, DC, so I don't pick up 95 until well south of the tunnel.

:earsboy:

If you have a standard LP Gas bottle (i.e. 20 lbs) it is illegal to use any of the Baltimore Tunnels

State Law:

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.

If you watch the signs, before the last exit approaching the tunnels has a picture of an LP Gas tank with a circle and red slash, the international don't do this sign.

Just because a State Trooper was behind you or because you have done it in the past dosn't mean they can't stop you the next time. As a matter of fact, those laws are not enforced by the State Troopers of Toll Collectors. They are enforced by the Maryland Transprotation Authority Police, a little known department within the State of Maryland.

From the State website

The Maryland Transportation Authority Police originated as the Toll Facilities Police, established in 1971 as part of the Maryland Transportation Authority. The Police received its present name in 1993 (Chapter 626, Acts of 1993). The Police enforces laws and control traffic at turnpike, toll bridge and tunnel facilities; the Baltimore/Washington International Airport; and properties under the jurisdiction of the Maryland Port Administration.

I don't like the bridge either, but I use it

and we used the Francis Scott Key Bridge. Our AAA Trip Tik routed us that way because we drive a Class A Motorhome with propane on board. I must admit that coming home (from a short stay in Virginia on the way) through Pennsylvania on 81 and home to CT on 84 was a much more relaxing ride, and we will never go through New Jersey/Delaware/Maryland again to drive to FW.

If you don't like the Key Bridge (I don't either), take the Beltway I-695 the other direction. It is very good road and does not add much time. We used to live in Baltimore and that was the route we took when we wanted to avoid the tunnel. In fact, we took it this weekend when we went down to VA and the tunnels were backed up (car only this weekend).

Just some additional info.

Al

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter