Question for Kazzie & Lisa

Jennie4647

Mouseketeer
Hi Ladies,

I know you are both booked into Villas at Wyndham Palms Resort around the same time as me and mine - October 1/2 term this year. Have you decided if you are going to have the pool heating turned on? We did when we went at Xmas/New Year and we needed it. I have been quoted £85 per week for an 8 hours timed slot - we can choose which 8 hours we want the heating on for. Any thoughts on what you will do? I would prefer 24hr heating as we sometimes only use the pool early morning and late evening, yet other days we could nip back home for a mid day break............

Thanks

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

Sorry I didn't answer this earlier I haven't been on the net for a couple of days.

I have already booked and paid for the pool heat.I was in Orlando the same time last year and I definitely needed pool heat then.The weather was cooler than I had had before in October but still think I would have needed it.
I don't know about the 8hour slot though,I'd better check with my owner.

I didn't know you had booked for wyndham Palms,what dates are you there and did you book from an owner?

I'm there October 10th to 21st.

I look forward to meeting you as well as Lisa:D

Hi Kazzie,

We arrive on the 25th October and leave on 7th November - our 1/2 term is the first week. Looks like we will miss you. I booked direct with the owner and we have now agreed on 12 hours of pool heat from 8.00am to 8.00pm for the same price. He has also got a cover for the pool which should keep the heat in overnight. We tend to use the pool after 9.00am and between 6.00pm and 9.00pm - so we should be fine with those timings. It is worth checking though, we had a villa that was only on for 4 hours a day once!

The villa is with http://www.florida-sunvillas.com/ they seem very nice people, very helpful and I am happy with the price. Who have you booked with? Who are you flying with - we are with Virgin - again not sure if I got a good deal or not. The only thing left is car hire - I will probably sort that out nearer the time. I can't wait now - only problem is the long summer with the kids - might try and get a cheap week away some where to try and break it up.

Jennie

Hi Karen & Jennie

We're there from 9th - 25th Oct. We've also booked pool heat but as far as I'm aware this is 24hr pool heat. We also had the pool heating on on our last trip Nov/Dec last year and the pool was BOILING!!!

It's a shame we're going to miss you Jennie. Karen, I'm hoping to meet you and Deb, still haven't mentioned to my Dad that we we may book into the HRH for the night.... ;)

We booked our holiday through The Travel Co using Virgin flights and the 3 bed villa was approx £489 per week including pool heat. 7 str minivan was £229 /week fully inclusive, flights were £455 adult and £260 kids inc. I was a bit miffed as this is THE most I've ever paid to fly to Orlando but I thought I'd book this years 1/2 term as last Nov we took Cameron out of school for nearly 3 weeks and the school had a little moan (he is only 5 though!) I've madea huge **** up though and booked the wrong half term weeks :( :( :( So now we're paying over the odds and he's still going to end up taking 2 weeks off. Can't change it for the week he's off as there are no return flights to Manchester........ Just wondering how bloody stupid I could be :o :o :o Never mind I don't suppose there's much I can do now.......

Lisa

Jennie

I tried to edit my post last night as soon as it was on as I re-read it and saw the bit about the 8 hour time scale.I wouldn'tbe happy about that either as you would basically have to choose day or evening use:( What you have re-negotiated is much more like it.

I have no idea the hours offered with my booking,I assumed it was 12 :rolleyes: So I have just e-mailed the owner to ask how many hours per day I will have pool heat.I'll let you know how I get on.

Lisa ,I don't think they heat the pool for 24 hours?

I think when I had pool heat last October it was another way I felt the owner took the **** .The pool heat JUST about took the chill off the water,it wasn't actually warm,just chilly.As I'd never rented a villa before I didn't have anything to compare it with.I quess now this wasn't acceptable and I would have complained.The pool heat charge was much,much higher than all the DISers said thye paid plus it was obviously turned down very low.Well you live and learn.

Sorry we'll be just missing you then:o

PS Lisa, I checked my half-term dates this morning...phew I do have the correct dates.DD is doing exams and I would have been in so much trouble...... and that was only DD!!

Hi Again,

My owner has been very helpful. Kazzie - you are right , they can't heat for 24 hours as that could over heat the elements (or some such?!) - we now have heating from 6.30am - 12.30pm and again from 3.30pm to 9.30pm - 2 slots of 6 hours.

I am very happy with this BUT I am glad I asked the question.

I have paid £1600 for direct Virgin flights and £1100 for a 4 bed/3 bath villa - this is far too big for our family but there was not a lot left on Wyndham Palms and I particularly wanted to be there. I think I have probably paid a bit more than I could have but I only booked a couple of weeks a go and I am happy to have something to look forward to.

We found last winter that the Villa was a bit isolated and we (mainly the kids) wanted some company. All I have to do now is find a car. It is very strange how the term dates work, my Sister (Waltham Abbey) always has different 1/2 terms to me (Rochdale) - we have the same Summer/Xmas and Easter, but the 1/2 terms never seem to coincide. Hey Ho! Shame I will miss you all. Are you all going away in the summer as well?

Jennie

Hey

This gets stranger! I received a reply from the villa owner who said re. yopur 6/8 hour heatings.....

Quote......'This doesn't make sense,firstly the pool heaters have lockable controls so somebody would have to come out night and morning to turn it on/off.And to switch the heater on and off costs more electric than leaving it running':rolleyes:

This means it is on for 24 hours as Lisa said.Of course I didn't think someone would come and do it every morning and night........surely that is what the time control does?

I'm not complaining 24 hours would be great,but is that cost effective for a villa owner?

I found our villa last year too isolated too and with 3 teens needed to try something else.

I'm going away a week in August to the new hotel onsite at Port Aventura on the Costa Dorada.I'm looking forward to that.half-board (ie no cooking!) ans we have two seperate rooms for no extra cost as the teens are classed as adults,so more privacy and space!

Are you going away in the summer?

Hi again Kazzie,

You are right this gets stranger and stranger. I was told that the clock that controls the heater can be started and stopped as required, obviously once it is set you are stuck with those settings until someone comes along and resets the clock. I assume this is the same sort of system as per our own central heating systems. My villa owner said that he can set 2 start and end times on his! I know I can do this on our central heating systems at home, he also said that once the water reaches a certain temperature it switches off automatically.

They probably all have diferent controls depending on how/when they were built, all I now know for definite is that I have raised the point and possibly made an issue of it and have been assured that the pool will be heated when we need it. I guess when booking a villa in the cooler months its worth asking about heating time and what the cut off temperature is (ours is 83F - 85F). 24hrs would be fantastic, last year we got the kids into bed and had some time to ourselves with a couple of beers around the pool planning the activities for the following day - absolute bliss!

What we really need if for some of our fellow DISers who are Villa owners to step in and tell us the real deal.

I would love to get away in the summer, just to break the holidays up - not sure if we can afford it, fingers crossed.

Have you stayed at Wyndham Palms before? We have never been before but I have heard good things about the site and like you mentioned before, being on a complex should give us the best of both worlds, privacy, space, private pool and activities, company if required - I can't wait now - soooooo excited.

Jennie

The last two villas we've had on Formosa Gardens have separately heatable pools and jacuzzis (i.e. you can heat the pool to around 85 degrees and the jacuzzi to around 105 degrees). The management company of the first one told us that it was all pre-programmed and that we couldn't change it, but the electronic control panel was on the wall in the living area and it was dead simple to operate - took us about 5 minutes to work it out. We just turned it on and off as we wanted it.

In December, we couldn't find the controls and the heating wasn't on when we arrived (although we'd paid for it). We looked all over the villa and the lanai, but couldn't find it. The next morning, dh discovered a timer at the side of the villa. Again, we just turned it on and off as we wanted it.

The one we're staying at this October is owned by the same people as the first one and I've already e-mailed them to confirm that the control panel is the same.

Isn't it exciting that so many of us are going to be there at the same time? Lisa, even if you can't wangle a stay at HRH, I'm sure we can sort out something - Wyndham Palms and Formosa Gardens are a stone's throw from one another. Big session at my villa anyone? I'm happy to play hostess!

Actually I was thinking about the pool heat again today and I remembered when we were at the villa in Rolling Hills the pool, even at midnight, was absolutely roasting (a bit too hot really) but at the Formosa Gardens villa it was a lot cooler (obviously the timer was set differently there).

Debbie - ssshhh! in the past we've also worked out how to operate the pool heat ourselves. your secrets safe with me!! LOL.

Oooh debbie a soiree at your villa - that sounds wonderful! I'm going to give HRH a call in a couple of months as we're dying to stay there now! Probably looking at a Friday or Saturday evening and going for a meal at either The Palm or the other restaurant you recommended and then going onto City Walks for a drink or ten!!!

Lisa

I like that a drink or ten;)

A soiree sounds lovely:D

I'm not going to be concerned about my pool heat,I really can't see an owner would leave it on 24/7 but I'll sort ot out when I get there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter