• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for people who have done Tour to Virgin Gorda (TT23)

Rob1872

DIS Veteran
For those who have done the Tour to Virgin Gorda (i.e. the Baths without the lunch), what time did your tour leave the ship?

Thanks!

Just pointing out, it's about a 10 minute walk to the ferry terminal, they had a bus to meet you and take you to the baths and then back to the ferry. Easy to do on your own and much cheaper than Disney pricing.

How far from ship to pier? I have knee issues. I am able to walk unassisted, but am slower than most folks. Concerned I may not be able to "keep up" with group walking to the pier.. also, concerned about navigating walk to the beach.
Would excursion be worth it if I did not walk down to the beach? Are you able to return to the ship ahead of the rest of group?
Family is scheduled for 8:45 trip.

If you left the ship at 7:45, when did your ferry depart? I thought there was a 7:45 ferry and then not another ferry until around 9am.

You are probably looking at public ferry times. Most of the ships will charter a ferry (or ferries) exclusively for their tours.

How far from ship to pier? I have knee issues. I am able to walk unassisted, but am slower than most folks. Concerned I may not be able to "keep up" with group walking to the pier.. also, concerned about navigating walk to the beach.
Would excursion be worth it if I did not walk down to the beach? Are you able to return to the ship ahead of the rest of group?

We did the 7:45 am tour also. The walk to the pier was easy and not hard to keep up with.

My mom came with us and sat at the Top of the Baths with one other nice lady (that she met there) and ordered a coke while my kids and I walked to the baths.

We did the 7:45 am tour also. The walk to the pier was easy and not hard to keep up with.

My mom came with us and sat at the Top of the Baths with one other nice lady (that she met there) and ordered a coke while my kids and I walked to the baths.
Do you happen to recall what time you were back on board the ship when you took the 7:45 tour? We are looking at doing this excursion this summer and wondered if we would be back in time to get lunch at Cabanas.

Do you happen to recall what time you were back on board the ship when you took the 7:45 tour? We are looking at doing this excursion this summer and wondered if we would be back in time to get lunch at Cabanas.

Yes. We hit a couple shops and were back on the ship by 12:15. We did exactly that...walked straight up to Cabanas for lunch

:drinking:

My family visited the Baths in September. All in good shape. But their report would make me question whether knee issues might keep you from this activity. The stairs sounded steep and possibly slippery. It was rough seas, which affected the actual Baths area. They saw one person lifted up and over a boulder (I assume a smaller one).

You may want to research this area a little more.

Would you recommend this excursion?

I would! We really liked it! Our party consisted of myself, my two teens and my mom. Like I said, my mom came with us and just sat at the restaurant and had a soda and sat and talked with a nice lady who was on the excursion but also not walking to the beach. It was long enough for us and we liked being back on the ship for lunch.

The excursion will drop you off at the top of the baths and you would have to take the trail down to the beach. It is over rocks, with irregular steps, and could be challenging if mobility and knees are an issue. Here are some images from the restaurant area - you will see the restaurant, deck, and views. It would be a comfortable place to wait, and you can get a sense of the size of the boulders. We saw a tour group coming through that had some mobility issues, and I remember thinking it was going to be a miserable hike down for some of those folks. And then of course, you have to hike back up hill.

There is an alternate path which takes you to the other side of the traditional baths beach rocks, to Devil's Bay. So you can enjoy Devil's Bay, then climb through the boulders (mobility would be an issue here as there are tight spaces and bendy moves required) on a marked trail, to the busier side of the baths, and then climb out via the highly-trafficked path (making a circle instead of an out-and-back). To access the path to Devil's Bay, you take a left at the top of the hill whereas the other path goes right (and by the restaurant, shops). The path to Devil's Bay is actually easier to navigate - still with some steps and dealing with rocks but not as steep as the main path. We liked doing the circle. There were only a four of us on the beach in Devil's Bay - most people climb through the rocks to Devil's Bay and then back to the other beach. After climbing through to the main beach we enjoyed a snack (hamburger, pop) at the snack stand. All the paths are dirt, rocky, and uneven, so you must judge your mobility.

Alternatively, we noticed some private boat charters who backed up to the area, and visitors disembarked in the water to the beach instead of coming down from the top. Swimming skills recommended if you go that route.

And yes, the ferry ride from the dock to the island where the baths are will be choppy in areas so don't be surprised at that - the crossing currents create chop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter