Question.... kids on the ship while you're in port?

I sent my kids back on board in Castaway Cay while DH and I went to Serenity Bay. They don't last long on beaches, which is depressing to their parents. They re-boarded with their grandparents, who were near but not in connecting rooms. I guess there is really no concern about being left behind in CC though!

The notion that the kids themselves want to be with their parents 24/7 is, um, interesting to me.

I don't see any problem with it. It is really no different than using a day care at home. Now if I planned on doing it I may not give them sign in and sign out ability if old enough for that but besides that no qualms about it. Of course on all of my cruises (6 in total now) I've never been close to the last tender or last person back onto a ship so maybe that's why I don't see the big deal. Sure there could be an emergency or whatever but there are ways to contact the ship if there is a true emergency delaying you and your kids are on the ship alone.

At what age would you leave the kids on the ship while you go into port? Or would you do it at all?

I don't mean take a tender in and go for the day, but maybe just in to the port area for shopping or a walk around?
I don't think I would base this decision on age but rather circumstances and the demeanor of the child. We recently did this on our last cruise when we stopped at Key West. The weather had been bad so the excursion we had booked was cancelled and there wasn't much else to do. My husband and I decided to just walk around the port for a bit and then enjoy the ship. The kids begged to stay in the kids clubs which at first i was reluctant to do but I realized at 7, 9 and 11 years old they would have been incredibly bored walking around a very crowded key west. We let them stay and I am glad that they did, they would have hated it! The CM's took our cell phone numbers and promised to call if there was an emergency. We weren't off the ship for very long and I would definitely do it again under the same circumstances. If it were a normal port day though I wouldn't let them opt to miss out on an excursion that we were paying for and, part of the reason from bringing them on the cruises is the port experiences too!

If we were just walking around and shopping, I would absolutely consider leaving the kids (6 & 9) on the boat. But if we're doing an excursion, I want them to be able to enjoy it too.

They get plenty of kids club time on sea days. Mama needs some alone time too! Lol

Dear parents.....if you wanted alone time, me time, couple time, free time, etc; you should have thought about that BEFORE having children.

That is unhealthy and is a leading cause of resentment towards children, unhappier parents, and unhappy marriages. Just because you have children does not mean you aren't allowed to have a little alone time as a parent. You of course are free to do what you want to and what is best for your family but please stop bashing other posters for wanting some adult time.

It's not bashing or shaming unless you have guilt about feeling it.

Continuing to reply to anyone who says they want alone time about how it is wrong or a problem or that they need to think about it before considering to have children is bashing and shaming. If you didn't want to make people feel bad about it you wouldn't constantly say how awful you think it is that people don't think they need to spend 100% of their time with their children.

You seem to like to pass judgement, but give very little info about yourself. Do you work? Do you have kids? How old? How much time do spend everyday with your kids? Just curious why you feel so strongly that adults should not enjoy time to themselves. Why do you feel so guilty leaving your kids?

For the simple reason that I like my freedom, independence and alone time, I am neither married nor have kids. Even if I wanted kids my health would not allow it. I grew up in a very loving family spending time and vacations with parents, aunts and uncles, cousins, grandparents, family friends and their kids. Not once were any of us left in the care of strangers so mommy and daddy could have alone time or me time.

It's not bashing or shaming unless you have guilt about feeling it.

I *don't* have kids and I find this bashing/shaming of parents.

My parents did not spend every moment of every day with my sister and me, and we are now happy, healthy, balanced, INDEPENDENT adults specifically because we WERE given "kid time" and our parents had "adult time".

For the simple reason that I like my freedom, independence and alone time, I am neither married nor have kids. Even if I wanted kids my health would not allow it. I grew up in a very loving family spending time and vacations with parents, aunts and uncles, cousins, grandparents, family friends and their kids. Not once were any of us left in the care of strangers so mommy and daddy could have alone time or me time.

Wow! Just.... wow! So many things I could say, but I think I'll just leave this as is. :rolleyes1

You don't have kids and your judging other parents? I'm glad I pushed you to come clean. I had a feeling you didn't have kids or a spouse. Now I can disregard every posts you've made on this thread.

This is where you're at more of an advantage if you are on a ship-based excursion, because IF something makes the excursion late, they will hold the ship as long as possible and if they have to get you back to the ship ASAP. If you are all anti-ship excursions and do your own thing, yeah...you're at the mercy of your provider to make good on their promises to get you back.

But...DCL excursions can still miss the ship. If the port says get out. They get out. As a parent, I just could not forgive myself if I missed the ship and my kid was on it without me, so I won't ever do it.

But...DCL excursions can still miss the ship. If the port says get out. They get out. As a parent, I just could not forgive myself if I missed the ship and my kid was on it without me, so I won't ever do it.

Yes, they can. But it is less common. And I suspect that if they know there are parents on an excursion and kids on the ship they will hold as long as they possibly can before leaving.

Another advantage is the ship will at least know where you are (or should be assuming you didn't ditch the group) as they know who is on the excursions, and the CMs looking after the kids can keep them posted as the ship and the tour will be in contact with each other. If you're on your own, there is no way for the CM to get any information to reassure the kids.

I'm not saying do it or don't do it. But there are some things that are helpful if you are on a ship-based excursion that is delayed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter