• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions about points from friends and different resort

Mynamewastaken

DIS Veteran
Ok, so one of my friends has about 200 points at OKW she is not going to use. She offered them to me. I have questions about how this works...
I don't want to stay at OKW I want either a studio or 1 bedroom for Feb 2015 at any of these three resorts- WL, BC or BW. She has 200 but I need 265 at least. How do I get the other 65? Do I need to find someone that has 65 at one of the above resorts and have that person make the reservation or do I need my friend and then the other person make each reservation- can they be merged or will I have to switch rooms? As you can see I have no idea how it works but my friend is offereing these points at an insane price and there is no way I can pass it up. Trouble is finding the last few points to finish our stay. Obviously I have no idea what I am doing so your input is much appreciated.

At 7 months out from your trip, you could rent from any DVC owner (subject to availability at the resorts you want of course). You could have two reservations and ask the owner(s) to have them linked and you might not have to change rooms.

Your friend can't book outside OKW until 7 months anyway.

You might talk to your friend to see if she could accept a point transfer from another member. If she could, she could make the entire reservation and you'd pay her for the transfer as well as her own points. Then you would have one reservation. When you have two reservations, even if they are linked, you have to check out and check back in.

I would book the nights you can at the 7 month mark with your friends 200 points... and then either do a cash reservation for the other nights (the easier of the options)... or try and find a member/ or rental service (such as David’s DVC rental) to rent the rest of the points from. Orchestrating a rental to link with your friends points prior to the 7 month window will be trickier than just booking with cash, but it can be done.

Another option would be to do have your friend do a points transfer from another member. Check on the rent/trade boards for a member looking to transfer their points. You pay the agreed upon transfer rate per point and give them your friends DVC acct number for the points to be deposited into. That way your friend controls the reservation and its only one reservation that does not need to be linked. But again that is more complex and requires a certain level of trust.... and may be more of a hassle than your friend is willing to deal with.

As a member I have purchased points transfers from other members twice now and it has worked out great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter