Questions for Northerners by Southerners or vice-versa in the USA?

For those of you in the South near water do you worry about pets and alligators? I always think about that when I see a home on the water on House Hunters.

I’m in Maryland and we’re “the old line state”, meaning the mason dixon line runs through the northern part of our state so we’re both north and south I suppose. My question is to northerners: do you consider Maryland a northern or southern state? And to southerners, same question. It’s funny, when we were in Georgia recently someone saw we were from Maryland and called us “Yankees” which I’d never considered Marylanders to be and it made me curious.

I’m in Maryland and we’re “the old line state”, meaning the mason dixon line runs through the northern part of our state so we’re both north and south I suppose. My question is to northerners: do you consider Maryland a northern or southern state? And to southerners, same question. It’s funny, when we were in Georgia recently someone saw we were from Maryland and called us “Yankees” which I’d never considered Marylanders to be and it made me curious.
Yes, I would think of Maryland as a northern state! I am in Kentucky and you are north of me, ha!

i grew up in Ohio and lived in SW PA for a long time. I have never given it much thought, but don't consider Maryland a southern state. I would find the term 'Yankee' to be a bizarre reference to the civil war? Or maybe someone from New England? I live in Northern Virginia now and don't consider myself a southerner in any way!
Northerners - what do you think about sweet tea?
Disgusting. But I drink my iced tea with NO sugar.

I've lived in Maryland for over 5 years now but I am from a northern state (NJ). Culturally it feels very similar to NJ but seeing plantation homes/museums while I drive does remind me that I am by the Mason Dixon line.

Way too sweet for me though I'm not a big fan of super sweet drinks. I usually drink unsweet tea without anything added in it.

My question is to northerners: do you consider Maryland a northern or southern state?
Neither, really. I guess in my head, think of it as part of the "DC area", so not quite the Northeast, but not really the South yet either.

It's too sweet for me. (But then again, I drink my hot tea without sugar too.)

I never thought of or referred to myself as a southerner but when I moved to Buffalo I got a lot of "I can hear your southern accent" (bawlmerese it its own thing... wouldn't consider it a southern accent) and "oh you moved here from the south". But we are by the canadian border so I guess to Buffalonians a large swath of the country is the south to them. My dad worked for Philips Mid-Atlantic region so I always just considered myself Mid-Atlantic, lol.

I never thought of or referred to myself as a southerner but when I moved to Buffalo I got a lot of "I can hear your southern accent" (bawlmerese it its own thing... wouldn't consider it a southern accent) and "oh you moved here from the south". But we are by the canadian border so I guess to Buffalonians a large swath of the country is the south to them. My dad worked for Philips Mid-Atlantic region so I always just considered myself Mid-Atlantic, lol.
Yes, the Baltimore accent is certainly distinct lol

Southerners:

How serious is the Killer Bee situation these days? Whenever I am down there I think of them with a ton of angst.

Anyone else who moved north to south find yourself less tolerant of the damp cold in the south? It could be 45 degrees here and I’m utterly miserable, but I could head to the Rockies and be fine in single digits due to the drier mountain air. It’s almost like the winter version of being more tolerant of dry heat in the summers in the desert southwest.

Years ago, I worked with a team that was all from the Northeast. They swore our winter was way worse. Said the same as you that higher temps felt much colder.
There is nothing like the cold in the South.

Two times in my life I thought I would never get warm again, and it wasn't here north of the border.

Once was in Virginia, and the other time was in WDW. The latter I had to work very hard not to cry like a baby. 🤩

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter