Questions for Northerners by Southerners or vice-versa in the USA?

Anyone who doesn't live in Massachusetts. Most everyone in New England will agree that MA drivers are horrible, LOL!
In September, early morning and no-one else on the street. I had a woman pull out from an illegal parking spot drive across 4 lanes and a double yellow line next to the Boston Common to T-bone my car because she saw a spot near me, an illegal spot mind you, said she was late for court. Still in shock, ended up in the ER, stuff still hurts a lot.

Southerners, getting bitten by critters, do any natural deterrents really work for bugs?
No you need Deet

But it’s not too bad if you aren’t hiking through the woods. I really never wear bug spray even at the park. Again, most bugs leave you alone if you leave them alone. Ants are the main exception, but they are more annoying than painful unless you step in a fire ant hill, but no bug spray will save you from that.

In my experience, here in the Hudson Valley, we are pretty polite on the road with the exception of the inner-cities. In general most New Yorkers across the state know how to drive well. NYC seems to be where the craziest drivers are but that is probably because they rely so much on public transportation. The only time I see crazy drivers near me is during the holidays or the summer during our main tourist seasons.

Well, I want to move where you are! Also live in the HV and I encounter crazy drivers every single day driving back and forth to school. You name it, I've seen it. People not merging well, passing in blind spots, almost coming to a stop on the Taconic (nothing going on just braking to a slow). Someone passing in the oncoming lane but trying to pass 3 cars and not doing so quickly enough. I had to slow way down to avoid a head-on collision.

I know you might say that it's me, but if you talk to people around here we all have the stories. We also have roundabouts and people are VERY confused.

Well, I want to move where you are! Also live in the HV and I encounter crazy drivers every single day driving back and forth to school. You name it, I've seen it. People not merging well, passing in blind spots, almost coming to a stop on the Taconic (nothing going on just braking to a slow). Someone passing in the oncoming lane but trying to pass 3 cars and not doing so quickly enough. I had to slow way down to avoid a head-on collision.

I know you might say that it's me, but if you talk to people around here we all have the stories. We also have roundabouts and people are VERY confused.
Oh, I have seen crazy things happen on the road in the Hudson Valley but it's not a frequent thing in my opinion. The exception being the Taconic. But I also try to avoid the busiest times of day on that road.

Most cities spray, so it’s not like you get attacked every time you leave the house. It’s really more just at the lake, camping, hiking, etc. Not going to the grocery store.
Exactly. It’s like a myth people in the north spread around that there is such a bug problem in the south. Just not the case. Unless like you say being out in the woods. But that’s the case up north as well.

Most cities spray, so it’s not like you get attacked every time you leave the house. It’s really more just at the lake, camping, hiking, etc. Not going to the grocery store.

Exactly. It’s like a myth people in the north spread around that there is such a bug problem in the south. Just not the case. Unless like you say being out in the woods. But that’s the case up north as well.

While I don't think it's nearly as bad as some northerners make it out to be, I think it's the year round possibility of mosquitos that helps fuel that fire. It wouldn't be the holidays if I didn't get a bunch of mosquito bites while putting up our lights. That being said, routine spraying only does so much. It certainly makes it better than it could be, but we're still getting swarmed right now every time we leave the house. Although, I expect that any time we've had a lot of rain...which has nothing to do with living in the south or a burb with lots of lakes or trees. If anything, it's the big roaches down here that really tend to freak out the visitors/newbies.

Southerners, how common is the Fire Ant problem? Are they everywhere? Some limited places? Do you guys need to treat the lawns all the time to keep them away?

I always thought bug issues are bigger down south simply because you don't have the long term foot deep freeze into soil to eliminate the population. Up north it takes a few months to really get the bugs going and then things freeze and away they go, right now it's a lot of solo bugs looking to set up homes.

What northerner does not enjoy the 2 or 3 nor'easters we get a year with a boatload of snow? (With the exception of those extreme snow totals like Buffalo). I love winter just as much as the other 3 seasons but I do admit I do have my limit of enjoyment when global warming has made each new season unpredictable.
As long as the power stays on I love them. (New Hampshire here)

Southerners, how common is the Fire Ant problem? Are they everywhere? Some limited places? Do you guys need to treat the lawns all the time to keep them away?

For us, super common. We'll treat the large mounds in our lawn, but they don't always build them up like that and not every place you frequent is going to treat for them. I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting outside at softball or a park and felt that all too familiar sting on my toes.

While I don't think it's nearly as bad as some northerners make it out to be, I think it's the year round possibility of mosquitos that helps fuel that fire. Although, I expect that any time we've had a lot of rain...which has nothing to do with living in the south or a burb with lots of lakes or trees

Yeah, I think it really depends on where you live. How much stagnant water sits within a few miles of you.

If I go outside at my grandmother’s house across town, I will get eaten alive every single time. There’s a lot of water that sits over there and a few stagnant ponds. Plus, she’s on the bad side of town, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the city didn’t spray from above as well over there and her neighbors didn’t pay to treat. Her neighborhood backs up to the projects, so doubtful spraying is happening there. I know her HOA treats for bugs inside and out, but it can’t stop the stagnant water in the projects which is breeding them, so it doesn’t help much.

At my house, however, I hardly ever get bit except at night during the worst times of the year in the summer, but we have no stagnant water anywhere nearby, and I’m in an affluent area, so I think more money goes into treating them at the neighborhood and city level.

You can treat all day, but if your neighbors can’t afford to, the mosquitos are going to live next door and come bite you, so how much the whole area around you, for a few miles, handles them really factors in.

It really depends on where you live.

We had them so bad in Houston. You couldn’t get rid of them no matter how much you sprayed. They’d just pop up somewhere else. Sort of like wack a mole. Get rid of hill on left side of yard and new one pops up on the right. Me and my sister were always getting /stung bit as children playing outside.

I had quite a few traumatic encounters as a child. I even sat in a fire ant hill once. You can bet I was stripping all my clothes off right there in the middle of the park.

What makes them so bad is that it’s not one or two bites; it’s hundreds. They will swarm you in seconds like something out of a horror movie to the point you can’t see your clothes or shoes through them. Then, they wait and all attack at once! I thought I was imagining this nefarious tendency, but no, they really do that. So you step in a hill, don’t realize it, they swarm your sock pants leg, then all start stinging / biting at once, and it is extremely painful.

Where I am now in TN, however, we have them, but they are pretty rare. I don’t think I’ve ever been stung in TN, and only rarely across the lone hill. I don’t see them in the yards in town like we did in Houston.

I always thought bug issues are bigger down south simply because you don't have the long term foot deep freeze into soil to eliminate the population. Up north it takes a few months to really get the bugs going and then things freeze and away they go, right now it's a lot of solo bugs looking to set up homes.

Yes, agree. I think that’s a big part of it. Some of them just only live in warm climates, though, too.

As far as the North and mosquitos? They are a big problem up here. We live where all 10,000 lakes are located. There is a body of water everywhere you turn. We have a large pond at the edge of our property. It is very swampy.

We use a mosquito magnet in our yard where the patio is located. It keeps the mosquitoes at bay or we wouldn't be able to sit outside. It is worth it's weight in gold up here:) If you go outside of it's range, you will get bitten. Just part of living in the north country. The good news? No snakes, except for an occasional garden snake.

Being in the middle, I really like local news stations. That said, it always seems like one stands out and the others are "junior varsity".
Being you are so far from an ocean, do you know people that has never seen an ocean?

I know quite a few people that have never seen snow. For me I was in 95F yesterday and in mid 40’s today. Quite a difference.

Closing for snow in MD. I apologize for not remembering the year, but the predictions were for a dusting to maybe an inch. They didn't send the kids home early. The predictions were correct as far as volume, but it froze when it hit. The entire area, DC beltway and surrounding areas were a skating rink. The school busses were stuck in traffic on the beltway and surrounding surface roads. A whole lot of kids didn't get home till after 11:00pm. After that storm the entire area was gunshy. Since then they've been quick to make the close early call.

Bugs in the south. There's a bunch of people who gather and socialize outside here in my neighborhood. I am not one of them. I completely and totally believe that mosquitoes will go after some and leave others. For some unknown reason they love me. I get swarmed going to the mailbox! If we didn't have a screened patio I couldn't go outside. Oh, when the screen room went up, I opted for the finer mesh to keep out the no-seeums. Didn't know at the time but no-seeums are a coastal/beach thing that we don't have in the middle of central Florida. Fire ants! I agree about the wack-a-mole. You treat a colony and another pops up 5 to 10 feet away. And they are nasty mean! Honorable mention, a swarming bug we call blind mosquitoes. I think they are really fresh water nymphs. I live on a lake and these things swarm in clouds. They are completely harmless except they tend to get in your eyes, nose and mouth. Love bugs have already been covered. They are dying out and the bug scientists think it'll only be a couple years before they are completely gone.
That's all I have for now.

Southerners, do tornadoes 🌪 happen often near you?

A lot…no, but tornado watches and warnings aren’t uncommon either. It was similar when I lived in Florida. Not all tornadic activity is created equally either. We take warnings seriously and have had them touch down less than a mile away, but it’s usually smaller tornadoes.

You’ve also touched on my newest big tornado fear. Of the colleges where DD17 was accepted, six of them could see very large tornadoes. It was actually part of our pros and cons review factors. She’s selected Oklahoma, so you better believe my tornado freak outs are going to be off the charts for the next 4 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter