Quick May 2021 Trip Report

twentyco

Mouseketeer
Just got back from several days at Universal last Friday evening (May 21), and thought I would do a quick trip report in case it is helpful to folks. I found reading reports immensely helpful before we left, so thank you to all of you who've done them (and much more detailed and better ones than this one!)

We arrived on Monday, May 17. We live out of state, but had been on the east coast of Florida for several days over the weekend seeing family. DH had to go back to work, so DD20 and I dropped him at the airport at about 9:40 or so on Monday. We had booked four nights at PBH, along with a 4 day ticket, through Costco. We arrived at the hotel shortly after 10, and went straight to check in, where there was no wait. Our room wasn't ready, of course (we fully expected this), but we were able to pick up our express passes without issue. We then went to the vacation center, where they immediately printed out our tickets once I gave them the confirmation number. Everything went very smoothly for this part.

After walking around the hotel a bit, we decided to head out to the parks. DD loves to take pictures, so we were moving pretty slowly, which was okay. I figured with Express Pass and up to four days in the parks, we didn't need to rush, which was nice. We waited a bit for the boat -- maybe 20 minutes. This was the longest we waited all week, though, so overall I felt like the transportation worked really well. I let DD pick which park to go to first, so we ended up at IOA. Someone (who might be the 50+ year old mom) loves Spiderman, so we headed that way after wandering through the Port of Entry and virtually all of the shops. We don't do upside down, so Hulk was out, and I am not fond of long drops, so no Dr. Doom. But Spiderman is a must do. From there, we wandered slowly around the park. The Potter area was mobbed, which I expected, so we really just walked through (though DD took a ton of pictures). We eventually made our way around to Doc Sugrue's Kabob place, and by this point we were pretty hungry. There were limited places in the parks that I thought DD would eat; she is a vegetarian, and doesn't love plain cheese pizza or things like that. I thought she might like a vegetable kabob from this place, but she decided just to get a pretzel, and I had a beef kabob, which I thought was pretty good. We then made our way to Seuss Landing (another favorite of mine), and rode Cat in the Hat and the trolley ride. DD got a gigantic rice krispy treat here as well. And took another 400 pictures.

At this point our room wasn't ready, but it was also still reasonably early, so we decided to walk over to the Studios. DD was really enjoying seeing everything and taking pictures. We went to Minions when we entered the park, which was cute. The Potter area was also mobbed here, so we didn't take very long there, figuring we would come back another day. We were going to ride MIB, but it was down, so we headed over and rode the Simpsons, which was one and done for us. By then we had walked all the way around both parks, and I'd gotten a text that our room was ready, so we decided to head back to the hotel and get our stuff from the car, etc. As I texted DH, 12,000 steps, 5 rides, and 48,000 photos.

We were booked into a standard 2 queen room. Ours did not have a tub. I don't know if some do or not; we probably would have preferred one, but I didn't think to ask at check in, and it wasn't a big deal. We were in the Villa area on the third floor, which was the same floor as the lobby. It was a good location for us. We rested for a bit, and then got ready to head back to City Walk, where I had a 7 pm reservation for Cowfish. DD loves vegetarian sushi, so I thought this would be perfect. We were really hungry when we got to City Walk, but were still really early for our reservation, so we looked around the shops a bit and then checked in at around 6:30. They ended up taking us at 6:40, so pretty early. We both really enjoyed the food here -- easily our best on-site meal of the trip. My burger was excellent, and she loved the sushi. We then went to get some Voodoo Doughnuts, which I had had in Portland a few years ago and remembered fondly.

The Voodoo Doughnut system needs some work. The line was enormous (we ended up waiting close to 90 minutes). One person with an iPad going through the line and taking orders would really speed things up, I think. I would have used mobile ordering, but strangely the apple fritters -- which are absolutely my favorite thing -- were not available through mobile order. I don't understand why they don't make all the selections available that way, but in any event we waited. I must say that the fritters were worth it! But we were really exhausted by the time we got done waiting and then made it back to the room. We did get enough doughnuts for several breakfasts so that we wouldn't have to go back. (Ironically to me, though, the lines in the morning were MUCH shorter).

We'd had a great first day, but we were really tired. Fortunately the beds were comfortable! I will do the rest in the next post.

I tried to get us up pretty early on Tuesday, so that we could open up IOA for Hagrids. The best laid plans .... In the first place, DD did not really want to get up early at all. I finally was able to tempt her with doughnuts, and we left at about 8:15. When we got to CityWalk at about 8:25, the line to get in to IOA was enormous, so we bagged that and went to USF instead; with early entry, there was no line to get in there. We headed straight to Potter so that we could see it with lower crowds.

We both thought that Diagon Alley was amazing. We rode Gringotts, which we both liked, and then walked around the area, mostly exploring (and taking 500 more photos). I also got DD a butterbeer, which was one of her few must haves. We really enjoyed the area. We then went over to MIB and rode that, before returning to ride Hogwarts Express back to IOA. This is where things slowed down considerably. As others have mentioned, the Express Pass is not so great for Hogwarts; it definitely cut off some time from the 60 minute posted wait, but I think we still waited around 40 minutes. It was worth it, though -- I thought that the train was actually among the best and most immersive parts of the whole experience. Once we got to IOA, we decided just to bite the bullet and join the line for Hagrids, which was posted at about 60 minutes. I think we only waited about 45 or so. I gave DD the motorcycle and I rode in the side car. I was a little worried about size (I'm about 5'11" and around 250 or so), but I fit very comfortably even in the side car. We enjoyed Hagrids, but it did make me a little nauseous; I would definitely ride it again, but it's a once in a row kind of ride for me. DD enjoyed it also.

As best I can remember, after exploring the Potter area, we went to a shop where DD wanted to buy a necklace. I told her to have it sent back to the hotel, and the shop said they didn't do that; we would have to bring it to another shop (where we couldn't find anyone working) to have them send it. In the end we just carried it, because it was small. We then rode the Hogwarts Express back to USF, and wandered around there a bit more. I think we rode one or two other things, but I cannot remember now what they were. I think one was Jimmy Fallon, which is pretty forgettable. We then left the parks for a 1:30 reservation at Toothsome. Frankly, it was just okay. The service was very slow; DD ordered an appetizer, which came out pretty quickly, but our entrees did not come out until about 2:30. I ordered a chicken sandwich, and the bun was totally stale. DD ordered some sort of salad that she liked. I was too hungry to send it back, so I just ate the sandwich without the bun. I also got a milkshake, which again I thought was just okay. This was one of several places where I felt like everyone was working really hard, but they just didn't have enough people working to make things run like they should.

After Toothsome, we went back to the hotel to rest, and ended up eating at Sal's (the quick service at PBH) that night. DD got the caprese sandwich, which she really liked, and I ordered a "small" pizza that I ate about 1/3 of. It was good -- no complaints about the quality -- but again it took quite awhile to get our food.

On Wednesday, DD had a telephone job interview, and I had several work calls, so we weren't ready to leave the hotel until around 11. We decided to go do some shopping in Orlando, and went to one of the outlet malls. We had Subway for lunch, and got back at around 2:30 or 3. At that point we headed out to the parks, again starting at USF. I know that we saw Shrek, rode Men in Black, rode Fast and Furious (also forgettable), and did ET and the animal show. After MIB, I wanted to buy some stuff in the shop, and they told me it was "too late in the day" to send it back to the hotel. I frankly started to think that they just aren't doing that now, but didn't want to say so. But maybe we just had bad luck. We then went over to IOA to do Jurassic Park in the last bit before closing; I figured if we got wet we'd be able to bail out. We didn't really get wet, though -- but we enjoyed the ride.

After Jurassic Park, we went to Bread Box at CityWalk for dinner. There were six people ahead of us in line, and we waited about 20 minutes to order, and were told it would be another 30 minutes to get our food, which turned out to be pretty accurate. Another situation where everyone was working hard, but they didn't have enough people; there was one person taking orders and doing drinks, one person distributing orders to tables and also packaging up mobile orders, and two people preparing food. They needed at least several more people for the right after close time period. We enjoyed the food, but were starving by the time we received it. After that, we'd had enough for the day and went back to the hotel.

I'll finish up in the next post!

Thursday was our last full day, and our last park day. By this point we had seen most everything we wanted to do at least once, except for the Bourne show, so that was our first priority. However, getting out of bed early was not DD's priority, so I got up and worked for a couple of hours before dragging her out of bed at around 9 or so. We got the boat and headed to USF for the first Bourne show. It was cool, and we both enjoyed it. We then headed over to do the Horror Make Up Show, but after five minutes in the lobby DD decided that she didn't want to do it (she thought it would freak her out), so we left and went to ET instead, which she loves. We then went over to Potter to ride Gringotts. By then it was around noon, so we decided to have Florian's ice cream for lunch; DD got butterbeer, and I got the granny smith apple. We both fully enjoyed them.

We had hoped to ride the Mummy, which we hadn't gotten to yet, but it was down for some reason, so we headed over to IOA. We wandered around a bit and did the Seuss rides again, and by then DD was about done with parks. She headed back to the hotel, and I headed over to ride Spiderman again. Once I did that, I sat down for awhile to watch Velocicoaster. I love the Jurassic World movies, but anything that goes upside down is too much for me. (I also couldn't do Forbidden Journey, because I had neck surgery a few years ago and DH thought it would jerk my neck around too much). I really enjoyed watching other people ride Velocicoaster, though! After a bit of that, I decided to do Spiderman again, and at that point I was also done.

My last mission was to get Thing 1/Thing 2/Thing 3 shirts for DH, DD, and I. We got these on our first trip to Universal when DD was about 7 or 8, and then our luggage got lost and we lost them, so DH asked me to replace them. I found Thing 2 and Thing 3 shirts in my and DD's size, so I bought those, but I couldn't find a Thing 1 shirt in DH's size. I figured I would just look at City Walk, so I left IOA and headed there to eat and get his shirt. I went to Panda Express to eat, and waited about 30 minutes to get my food (at 2:40 in the afternoon). Another case of everyone is working hard, but there aren't enough people. Once I ate, I went to several shops in City Walk that had Thing shirts, and none of them had Thing 1 in DH's size. So I trudged back to Seuss Landing to look there -- no luck. Finally I decided that he was going to be Thing 2, because they had that one is his size, and I would be Thing 1. Got that accomplished, and then headed back to the hotel.

We decided to eat off-site that night, so we ended up going to Carrabba's, an italian restaurant we like but don't have at home. It was fine. We then pretty much collapsed into bed after walking around outside a bit more (and taking some more pictures, of course).

The next morning was our check out day. I had pre-ordered some Gideon's Bakehouse cookies (from their original location, not Disney Springs) as a surprise for DH, so we checked out about 10:45 and drove to pick those up. The pick up was flawless (and the cookies are amazing), but it was a bit of a fiasco because I had to find a shopping bag to carry them on the airplane with; this turned in to a trip to Target, where all I could find was a $30 beach bag. So, they are expensive cookies, but probably worth it in the end!

The trip to the airport and flight home were relatively smooth. Overall, we had a good time. The hotel was really lovely -- very comfortable rooms, everyone was very nice, and we didn't have any issues or concerns that I think others have had. I was glad to have gone when mask wearing was a little less strict, and we could go without when just wandering around the parks (we are both fully vaccinated). Compliance with the mask requirements seemed very good the rest of the time, and we never felt unsafe in any way. The restaurant under-staffing issue was frustrating at times, but I'm sure it's frustrating for the people working there, too. The parks were clean, and we had fun with the rides, etc. (even though we didn't do tons of rides). And the boat transportation was very good. So, overall a thumbs up!

I realize the irony of a trip report without any pictures, when I said that DD took about a million of them -- but they are hers, of course, and if I try to do this with pictures I'll never get it done. Thanks again to all those who have done reports, all of which I found very helpful when planning this trip (though frankly there was minimal planning involved, as you can probably tell!!)

Thanks for the report, especially the note on food wait times even for QS. I might plan to head to restaurants earlier than normal so I avoid a kids getting hangry situation.

How far away is the Gideon’s location? I really want to try the cookies, but the waits at Disney Springs have me looking at alternatives.

Some do pics and some don’t on their trip reports.
You gave us a lot of detail and I feel it’s a super trip report!

Your report is outstanding!
I’m glad you shared it with us.

I’m a big fan of the Bourne show!
Did it every day I was there last time I went.
I picked up on little things new each time I watched it

What a lovely trip you had! You managed to do a lot and really enjoy your time there too.

I`m not a big Toothsome fan either, glad you enjoyed Cowfish, Sal`s and Bread Box, we`ve always enjoyed them too. It`s a shame you had such long waits for food....a nightmare when you`re starving.

But, I did enjoy reading your TR, and hope your DD got the job she had the interview for......:thumbsup2

Thursday was our last full day, and our last park day. By this point we had seen most everything we wanted to do at least once, except for the Bourne show, so that was our first priority. However, getting out of bed early was not DD's priority, so I got up and worked for a couple of hours before dragging her out of bed at around 9 or so. We got the boat and headed to USF for the first Bourne show. It was cool, and we both enjoyed it. We then headed over to do the Horror Make Up Show, but after five minutes in the lobby DD decided that she didn't want to do it (she thought it would freak her out), so we left and went to ET instead, which she loves. We then went over to Potter to ride Gringotts. By then it was around noon, so we decided to have Florian's ice cream for lunch; DD got butterbeer, and I got the granny smith apple. We both fully enjoyed them.

We had hoped to ride the Mummy, which we hadn't gotten to yet, but it was down for some reason, so we headed over to IOA. We wandered around a bit and did the Seuss rides again, and by then DD was about done with parks. She headed back to the hotel, and I headed over to ride Spiderman again. Once I did that, I sat down for awhile to watch Velocicoaster. I love the Jurassic World movies, but anything that goes upside down is too much for me. (I also couldn't do Forbidden Journey, because I had neck surgery a few years ago and DH thought it would jerk my neck around too much). I really enjoyed watching other people ride Velocicoaster, though! After a bit of that, I decided to do Spiderman again, and at that point I was also done.

My last mission was to get Thing 1/Thing 2/Thing 3 shirts for DH, DD, and I. We got these on our first trip to Universal when DD was about 7 or 8, and then our luggage got lost and we lost them, so DH asked me to replace them. I found Thing 2 and Thing 3 shirts in my and DD's size, so I bought those, but I couldn't find a Thing 1 shirt in DH's size. I figured I would just look at City Walk, so I left IOA and headed there to eat and get his shirt. I went to Panda Express to eat, and waited about 30 minutes to get my food (at 2:40 in the afternoon). Another case of everyone is working hard, but there aren't enough people. Once I ate, I went to several shops in City Walk that had Thing shirts, and none of them had Thing 1 in DH's size. So I trudged back to Seuss Landing to look there -- no luck. Finally I decided that he was going to be Thing 2, because they had that one is his size, and I would be Thing 1. Got that accomplished, and then headed back to the hotel.

We decided to eat off-site that night, so we ended up going to Carrabba's, an italian restaurant we like but don't have at home. It was fine. We then pretty much collapsed into bed after walking around outside a bit more (and taking some more pictures, of course).

The next morning was our check out day. I had pre-ordered some Gideon's Bakehouse cookies (from their original location, not Disney Springs) as a surprise for DH, so we checked out about 10:45 and drove to pick those up. The pick up was flawless (and the cookies are amazing), but it was a bit of a fiasco because I had to find a shopping bag to carry them on the airplane with; this turned in to a trip to Target, where all I could find was a $30 beach bag. So, they are expensive cookies, but probably worth it in the end!

The trip to the airport and flight home were relatively smooth. Overall, we had a good time. The hotel was really lovely -- very comfortable rooms, everyone was very nice, and we didn't have any issues or concerns that I think others have had. I was glad to have gone when mask wearing was a little less strict, and we could go without when just wandering around the parks (we are both fully vaccinated). Compliance with the mask requirements seemed very good the rest of the time, and we never felt unsafe in any way. The restaurant under-staffing issue was frustrating at times, but I'm sure it's frustrating for the people working there, too. The parks were clean, and we had fun with the rides, etc. (even though we didn't do tons of rides). And the boat transportation was very good. So, overall a thumbs up!

I realize the irony of a trip report without any pictures, when I said that DD took about a million of them -- but they are hers, of course, and if I try to do this with pictures I'll never get it done. Thanks again to all those who have done reports, all of which I found very helpful when planning this trip (though frankly there was minimal planning involved, as you can probably tell!!)

I was in the parks the same 4 days and OP hit it exactly right - there is not enough staffing at any restaurant in the parks right now (and pretty much anywhere in Florida). The only way to eat quickly is to eat in your room. Cowfish was also the star restaurant of our trip, and we loved it. We also had the vegan apple fritter from Voodoo Doughnut, and I will second the weirdness of it being more packed as the day got later (we hit it at 4:45pm one day, and waited 30 minutes...so not as bad, but parks were still open 2 more hours).

Now, that said, we LOVED our days in the parks, and we just did one snack and one meal there and did our other 2 meals at our resort. It worked out WAY better that way. And I also planned our meal at 10:40am if we were doing CS lunch - our 2 sit downs, Cowfish and Confisco, had reservation times.

PS - And at Confisco, anyone can order the AP special item, the ahi tuna nachos, which was good, but took too long, and didn't have enough veg (and sidenote - came out with jalapenos when I asked for them off, and when I asked they ensure that my 2 allergies, tree nuts and dairy, weren't on it - since the chef never came out, the way to make someone nervous about an item is for the waitstaff to deliver it with an item that was requested to be left off...but I digress). I understand skimping tuna on tuna nachos for cost, but just give me more veg and sauce to make up for it. It was the type of dish that could have been a home run, but ended up a single...whereas there wasn't an item at Cowfish that wasn't a homerun for our group (although if you have a dairy allergy, like me, they can only do regular fries, not sweet potato fries, there - my only bummer, but the reg fries were great)...

Last edited:
How far away is the Gideon’s location? I really want to try the cookies, but the waits at Disney Springs have me looking at alternatives.

I think it was about a 20-25 minute drive. And, at least during covid, you can pre order up to the day before, and then just walk in and pick up your cookies. We only waited a minute or two.

Thanks for the report, especially the note on food wait times even for QS. I might plan to head to restaurants earlier than normal so I avoid a kids getting hangry situation.

Yes --- you definitely do not want hangry kids!! It was bad enough with a hangry mama, which we had once or twice.

I agree the beds at PB are pretty great. Sad to hear about the Voodoo experience. I know you can do mobile ordering, but that can take super long too (and it has glitched out in the past too).

I agree the beds at PB are pretty great. Sad to hear about the Voodoo experience. I know you can do mobile ordering, but that can take super long too (and it has glitched out in the past too).

I thought about doing mobile ordering, but my favorite thing are the apple fritters, which for some reason are not available on the mobile order menu (but are on the regular menu and we were able to buy them after standing in line). I don't know why all items aren't available to mobile order. Similarly, at Bread Box, I wanted my sandwich without cheese. Every other customization was available in the mobile order, except removing the cheese. So we stood in line. I also found that odd. I was tired and may have missed it, but I looked several times.

Thanks so much for your TR!
Especially the info on food waits. Good to be prepared so I can pack my patience! LOL.
Leaving in 8 days! Woot!

We were in the parks May 29-31 and had very similar experience with QS food service. The mobile order app worked very well for us for Voodoo doughnuts, but not for QS in the parks (extremely long wait times both times we used it). I would suggest having a reservation for TS in CityWalk (or hotel) each day and just avoid the park QS entirely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter