Quick (ok, maybe not quick) SSR report

mwehttam

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch...
It’s been a few weeks now since we have been back and I have finally got down to writing a quick SSR report. It was our first trip as Members. All the others have been with, or provided by, friends who are Members. It was DW, DS (8 mo), and I and we were in a 1-BR for 10 days, 7/15 – 7/25.

We decided to drive down. :drive: At first I was going to do the bulk of the driving on Sat: leave early in the AM and get to Savannah by the evening. This would have been about 13-14 hours. I realized this was too much for one day with an 8 month old. So we drove to below DC, about 4-5 hours, Friday night after I got out of work. Left the house at 7PM and checked into our hotel at 12AM. Not bad. Saturdays drive was then reduced to about 9 hours, including all our stops. Then on Sunday it was a short 4 hour drive to SSR.

Check in was nice, smooth and our room was ready! Sweet! When the Policy-That-Is-Not-To-Be-Mentioned was put into place, I called and made a new request for the Spring’s section. DW and I figured that it would be nice and easy staying there: close to the main pool and the main buildings. Our room was there but the CM at Check-In couldn’t get the room to stick and then the room was gone. “Oh-no” I thought. DW got that “Oh what a great way to start this vacation. Why did I let him talk me into buying DVC” look on her face. The CM got a supervisor over and was told what she had to do to assign the room but this time it was at the Grandstand section. “No problem” I said. This was our second choice. This turned out to be very good decision in our book.

Our building was the one between the bus stop and the Grandstand pool, room 8245, all the way on the pool side of the building. This bus stop is the first to be picked up and dropped off. Great when you have an 8 month old and all the “stuff” that needs to be lugged around (never realized the how much stuff that would be). The pool was less then 2 minutes from our door and the main pool was only about 5. The boat launch for DTD was also about 5 minutes away. Great location!

The room was great. Not an issue. The only call to Housekeeping was to get a high chair brought up. It was mentioned on the reservation but since the rooms are not assigned usually till you check in, I didn’t expect it to be there. It was brought over within 20 minutes. We set the pack-n-play next to the bed by the window. This enabled us to stay up to watch TV or read after putting DS down for a nap or the night.

We visited both pools. Loved the slide! Haven’t been on one of those in years. The Grandstand pool area was very nice and DS is sure to enjoy it as he gets older.

I was very worried about the heat, because of the little one, and the crowds. Well, DS did exceptionally well with the heat. I think he is more comfortable in the heat then the AC. We don't have central-air at home so he is probably used to it. Plus those little ones are very adaptable.

It was crowded but it didn’t seem to affect us. We used FP and the Baby Swap and never really waited on line, excpet the few time the FP line was insane (Splash Mt.). When making the plans for this trip, we decided to do the EMH in the morning. While at home, the little one likes to get up between 5-6AM. That would give us plenty of time to get to an 8AM opening with EMH. The first night there as we got ready for bed, DW asked if we should set an alarm. “Nay” says I, “we have our own rooster” as I point to the pack-n-play. Well, he decides to sleep till 6:30!! Since DS was so off his schedule from the drive down, he slept in more then he does at home. We never made it to an opening at 8 but were still in the park before 9. This helped tremendously in getting what we wanted done. Never waited long on any line except for The Great Movie Ride (30 minutes).

The only down side was an unexpected trip to the Celebration Hospital ER at 2AM Sunday morning. All day Sat, DS seemed a little out of it, but we just chalked it up to DS being out of his routine for over a week. That night we were to eat dinner with my cousin who lives in Orlando at Fulton. He forgot (typical, lol; ate with him Mon night at Raglan Road) but we ate. DS was beside himself until I got him to fall asleep on my lap since I was sitting on a bench like seat. We got back to the room and took his temp: 102.7. Yikes! Highest he ever had. Luckily we brought the Baby Tylenol and gave him some and put him to bed. At 1AM he wakes up crying. Take the temp again: 103.4. :sick: :eek: Double yikes as I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach. I look at me wife and say “Let’s go.” Luckily the back of the Resort Map the Front Desk gives has the map of the area, including Celebration. Very nice ER (as nice as ER’s can be I guess) and empty. Two hours, in and out. I think that might be a record for me. DS had a middle ear infection. They gave him a shot of antibiotic and us an Rx to fill for more. The next day I drove up and down the main road to find a pharmacy open. I did happen to find the only CVS with no pharmacy. Who knew? :confused3 Sunday we stayed in the room except for a quick lunch at Artist Palette and by that evening the fever was down and DS was turning back into his goofy self. We were able to keep our dinner reservation for Artist Pointe at WL.

Fever aside, we had a great time. DS bounced back quickly and the last two days were great. We love our home! Now to start planning on next summer’s vacation, this time possibly with the whole family (13 people!!) :eek:

-Matthew

we have also visited, and been amazed by, the cvs with no pharmacy!! goodness!

Sounds like all in all you had a great time and I am so glad your little guy got to feeling better!

Glad you had a good trip!
I too am now a veteran of the Celebration Hospital ER--went there two seperate times in May with Kidney Stone attack. It really is a clean and (for an ER) rather orderly operation.

Sounds like a wonderful trip! The Grandstand section sounds ilke a great location; it's really getting rave reviews. I'm glad your DS was quickly feeling better. Those darned ear infections! Thanks goodness for antibiotics.

Thanks for sharing!

Glad you had a great trip....

Poor baby....they do bounce back quick though:goodvibes
Kerri

Aren't you glad you were "stuck" in an SSR 1 bedroom villa with a sick kid instead of a redular hotel room?!

Glad you enjoyed SSR. We own there and really do love how peaceful it is. We have requested the Grandstand for our upcoming stay so here's hoping! :wizard:

Aren't you glad you were "stuck" in an SSR 1 bedroom villa with a sick kid instead of a redular hotel room?!

Even with a healthy kid, a 1-br is a must. We placed the PnP in the master bedroom and when we placed him down for naps or the night, we were still able to watch tv and read in the living room. Not sure what we would have done in a Studio. Not keen on going to bed at 8PM! :lmao:

-Matt

Glad that overall you had a great time; also glad your son got through the fever and infection.

We're going to SSR for the first time in October and have requested the Springs, we'll see where they place us...looking forward to staying at another DVC resort!

Peace,
G4L

I'm glad everything worked out ok for your little baby boy. That can be scarey.

We stayed in that very same building in July. We were in 8234. We loved it too. Very close to bus, pool, and main building.

We were at SSR 7/8-15 in the Paddocks. Loved it. The day before we were to leave, my sons insulin fell from the fridge to the floor and shattered. We had a pen for backup, so no problem. There are Walgreens on almost every corner and one of them has a 24/7 pharmacy. All we needed to do was call the after hours doc at home and Voila! Thank you to the pharmacist that gave us all of the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter