Quiet pool?

This is a subject I haven't thought very much about - I'm glad to be reading the thread. I was thinking about taking our toddler grandkids to the "quiet" pool just because it might be easier for them to practice "swimming" without a lot of people around. It didn't occur to me that they would be yelling - I wouldn't want to hear it, or inflict it on others. But do most people consider the quiet pool to be for adults? I'm asking an honest question here - I wouldn't want to annoy a bunch of people without realizing I was even doing it.

IMHO, hot tubs should be off limits to small children because of the potential health issues. Not many kids just sit quietly, they go underwater - and hot tub water is not good for swallowing or going in the ears. It also causes UTI issues with little girls & any diaper "accidents" are going to cause bacteria to breed. Hot tubs are not for children.

Your post reminds me of a hot tub thread a good long time ago; I always wonder if the parents who are allowing their small children to swim in the hot tubs (for unlimited amounts of time) are aware of the health issues for them -- as well as for the others in the HT. :scared1:

I confess when I see small children in the hot tub (especially in diapers) I will usually try to chat up the parents and let them know about the risks involved with overheating of those small bodies in the hot water. But I really do try to be nice, since I am sensitive about being told "what to do", too! :rolleyes1

Ok, I think I may be getting off topic here - to get back to the "pool" section of the OP, I guess I am in the habit of calling the other pools "quiet" pools as well -- does anyone know where is that terminology originally from?

My biggest pet peeve is with young children in the hot tubs, too. I remember having seen diaper age children in the hot tub :confused3. Sorry, but, ewww!:confused3 The CM's said it was ok. Umm, I remember in the past at other hotels seeing signs that children under 14 years of age weren't allowed in the hot tub. I think that's a good rule, but it isn't a rule at WDW.

This is a subject I haven't thought very much about - I'm glad to be reading the thread. I was thinking about taking our toddler grandkids to the "quiet" pool just because it might be easier for them to practice "swimming" without a lot of people around. It didn't occur to me that they would be yelling - I wouldn't want to hear it, or inflict it on others. But do most people consider the quiet pool to be for adults? I'm asking an honest question here - I wouldn't want to annoy a bunch of people without realizing I was even doing it.

I never think of the "quiet" pool as for adults only. I see it as a place where everyone needs to be thoughtful of the other guests since there is no lifeguard to make the call. The hot tub isn't meant for swimming and jumping off the side, but the "quiet" pool IS meant for swimming and having fun. BUT, no diving (that's a safety issue anyway), no hogging the entire pool by throwing balls or other things from one end to the other over other guests' heads, no flips off the shoulders. Just courtesy to the other guests. We all pay our dues, so we all get to use the pool and be polite to the other guests.

And that means making sure your little ones don't leave surprises in the pool. Nothing ends the fun so quickly as that. If your child isn't old enough to hold it in, they need to wear swim diapers. Not regular disposable diaper, swim diapers. Same goes for the preteens, teens and adults. Use the bathroom, not the pool.

Clean up your messes that you make at the pool. Leave your wet/soiled towels in the container and not on the tables or chairs. Throw your trash in the trash can. Take your stuff back to your room and don't leave it out at the pool.

What happens if Disney does offer an adult only pool and instead of kids yelling and splashing and doing cannon balls, you have adults doing the same thing.

I think that is the point TJ is trying to make. Having a kid's only pool will not prevent rude behavior or provide for a quiet sanctuary. Because if all adults would be responsible, you would not have kids acting like you described.

Off topic: why is the font so big in the first post, I felt like I was in kindergarten with my primer. :confused3

does anyone know where is that terminology originally from?

Disney used to refer to them as "quiet" pools in their brochures, online and in the Birnbaum Guide. They are now referred to as additional unguarded pools.

Disney is for children but can they make a little corner of the world where some adults can just relax and have some down time?

I think that would be your villa and balcony.

I think you have an excellent plan. :thumbsup2

We had a great time with our toddler DGC, 1,2,3 years last year in the villa pool at VWL, and we're going to be there again this year, when they're 2,3 and 4! The main pool was just too busy for these little ones. They all enjoyed the baby pool as well, we had sand/water toys for them to use and share.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I still have visions of a father and his two young sons throwing popcorn to the ducks INTO the pool at WL...Maybe he just wanted the pool to have more of an ocean feel by adding a little salt..

My worst experience at a 'quiet pool' was one time when I was relaxing in the hot tub, and 3 teens decided to play catch with a football, with 2 of them in the pool, and 1 in the hot tub. I guess when people are throwing objects around in a crowd, it's your responsibility to stop relaxing and be alert. I wasn't, and got hit in the face with a flying football, and my sunglasses were broken.

I go to a resort in SW Florida every year. They have a big pool complex with 2 large pools with waterfalls and islands, a lazy river, a kiddie pool, and a hot tub with a waterfall. Nearby they have an adult only pool with a hot tub. I must say, when the main pool gets a little crazy, the adult pool is heaven.

My worst experience at a 'quiet pool' was one time when I was relaxing in the hot tub, and 3 teens decided to play catch with a football, with 2 of them in the pool, and 1 in the hot tub. I guess when people are throwing objects around in a crowd, it's your responsibility to stop relaxing and be alert. I wasn't, and got hit in the face with a flying football, and my sunglasses were broken.

I go to a resort in SW Florida every year. They have a big pool complex with 2 large pools with waterfalls and islands, a lazy river, a kiddie pool, and a hot tub with a waterfall. Nearby they have an adult only pool with a hot tub. I must say, when the main pool gets a little crazy, the adult pool is heaven.

You know something? We recently moved and decided to join the township pool for the summer. I brought the packet home and told DH that there were a lot of rules, but that they were good rules. It's a shame, but it's obvious the rules for our town pool were implemented because people don't know how to be considerate. There are designated adult swim times, and also, children who are not potty trained are required to wear a specific brand of swim diapers, or the whole family will be asked to leave. There are also rules against ball playing in the pool (quite probably because someone like you had their sunglasses broken or got hurt). It's too bad that there have to be such stringent rules in place just because people don't have commen sense or common courtesy.

I agree with the kids and the hot tubs, but for that matter, I am a little spooked by the warm/hot water with a bunch of strangers, just not my bag, but definitely not for little ones.

As for the rest of pools, kids go crazy in water, it is like sugar to them. They don't have to throw things around and can be kept from infringing too much, but to ask kids not to let loose and be quiet in a pool when they are just being kids is too much to ask. I have a tough enough time staying off the slides and splashing around. It is an environment where people can let loose, always has been. :goodvibes

I think the balcony or a park bench is a much stronger option for down time.

I think the DCL's adult pool is a great idea and is very do able on the DCL because of the extensive free programs for kids. A lot of kids are in the clubs all day so having a space for adults when their kids are off having their own fun makes a lot of sense. Although limited kids clubs are available at WDW, they are not free, and I think most people do not use them. I know some do, but it isn't the kids are gone until dinner time feature that it is on the ships.

Funny aside- I was on the Magic with my then 10 yo niece and we cut through the adult pool area, in a hurry to get somewhere. As we were walking in she asked why it was adult only and I told her it was clothing optional. The hands went over the eyes immediately. Three years later and she still doesn't find this funny.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter