Race Deferrals

jamiek81

Earning My Ears
Has anyone deferred in the past for medical reasons? What was the process? I'm working with my doctor to make sure but I may need to contact them about not being cleared for my 10K or Half for Wine and Dine weekend.

Has anyone deferred in the past for medical reasons? What was the process? I'm working with my doctor to make sure but I may need to contact them about not being cleared for my 10K or Half for Wine and Dine weekend.

RunDisney doesn't differentiate between types of deferrals, medical or otherwise. They offer a limited number of deferral slots, so watch the event page on the RunDisney site for the deferral link to go active and defer as quickly as possible, if you are not going to be able to run it. If the deferrals fill up, I'm afraid you're going to be pretty much out of luck, medical reason or not.

Deferrals go about as quickly as race registrations these days as there are a VERY limited number of spots and you don't have to have any reason for a deferral - you just have to be one of the first people to fill out a form.

Recently, deferrals have filled the day they open, if not hours after the link goes up.

If it's a serious medical condition that you're already working with your doctor on, you could try contacting RD and beg them to guarantee you a deferral, but there's not really a precedent for them offering any option via that avenue either.

And just be aware - there may not be any deferrals at all. For Dark Side, for WEEKS people were told there would be no deferrals and then magically they appeared something crazy like three weeks before the race.

Thanks for the info! I ended up calling and they said that deferrals will go up about 3 weeks prior so needless to say I will be checking every day from about 4 weeks on. I can't imagine for a medical issue that Disney would completely shut someone out. That's not very Disney, but I'm going to try to follow the normal channels or work with my doctor sooner (which was actually my doctors suggestion too) since it isn't just a racing issue and there is a good chance I won't be cleared to fly either!

Thanks for the info! I ended up calling and they said that deferrals will go up about 3 weeks prior so needless to say I will be checking every day from about 4 weeks on. I can't imagine for a medical issue that Disney would completely shut someone out. That's not very Disney, but I'm going to try to follow the normal channels or work with my doctor sooner (which was actually my doctors suggestion too) since it isn't just a racing issue and there is a good chance I won't be cleared to fly either!

Yes, Disney will shut someone out for a medical issue, a job relocation, and any other reason you can think of for someone to not be able to make the race. While we all wish they would allow transfers or a greater number of deferrals, they don't. Those are the rules we all agree to when we pay our entry fee and sign up for the race.

OP just as a heads up I found out if you book your entire package through runDisney they do sell travel insurance that covers the bib. It doesn't help now but an FYI for later.

I also have started booking through a group or travel agent because those can legally be transfered with in the group and travel agency up until bout a month or so before the race. It has really brought me peace of mind to be able to find someone in my group who wants a bib that is unusuable or to swap bibs between challenges and 10K.

I mean, I'm not sure what you expect them to do that would make the situation more "Disney" - you registered to participate in an event, and now you can't ... I don't see how it's "not very Disney" for them to follow a policy that's been in place for years. Injuries happen. Death in families happen. Last-minute deployments happen. Sick children happen. Life happens. Sometimes, RunDisney can help people out and sometimes they can't. I, for one, am glad that they don't prioritize certain reasons over others to allow for deferrals of race registrations.

These race weekends can involve over 50,000 participants and another 5,000-plus volunteers. It's already massive logistics undertaking - and if they just let registration be fluid, I can't even begin to imagine what a headache it would be. If you bought park tickets that expire at the end of the year and couldn't use them, what would you do? Expect Disney to refund your money because it's the "Disney" thing to do?

Unfortunately, it's the risk we ALL take when we register for these races so far in advance, but it's pretty much everywhere on the site (and here, as well as the Facebook pages for the race weekends) what the policy is regarding this, and it's been pretty much the same - at least in all the race weekends I've participated in. At the end of the day, RunDisney is an arm of Disney ... and Disney is a business, not a charity.

I'm very sorry for your medical issue and hope that it can be resolved, and that you can be in good enough health to try a race weekend again.

Maybe you will luck out because W&D is such a popular race and they can almost guarantee that they'll be able to resell the bib via charity or travel partner.

I had to defer the Dopey last year and it was really easy. I checked daily when it got close and submitted my deferral request on the first morning that it was available. The deferral link was up for over a week last year, but I am not sure what races ran out of deferrals on specific dates.

Yes, Disney will shut someone out for a medical issue, a job relocation, and any other reason you can think of for someone to not be able to make the race. While we all wish they would allow transfers or a greater number of deferrals, they don't. Those are the rules we all agree to when we pay our entry fee and sign up for the race.

Ayep.

I mean, I'm not sure what you expect them to do that would make the situation more "Disney" - you registered to participate in an event, and now you can't ... I don't see how it's "not very Disney" for them to follow a policy that's been in place for years. Injuries happen. Death in families happen. Last-minute deployments happen. Sick children happen. Life happens. Sometimes, RunDisney can help people out and sometimes they can't. I, for one, am glad that they don't prioritize certain reasons over others to allow for deferrals of race registrations.

These race weekends can involve over 50,000 participants and another 5,000-plus volunteers. It's already massive logistics undertaking - and if they just let registration be fluid, I can't even begin to imagine what a headache it would be. If you bought park tickets that expire at the end of the year and couldn't use them, what would you do? Expect Disney to refund your money because it's the "Disney" thing to do?

Unfortunately, it's the risk we ALL take when we register for these races so far in advance, but it's pretty much everywhere on the site (and here, as well as the Facebook pages for the race weekends) what the policy is regarding this, and it's been pretty much the same - at least in all the race weekends I've participated in. At the end of the day, RunDisney is an arm of Disney ... and Disney is a business, not a charity.

I'm very sorry for your medical issue and hope that it can be resolved, and that you can be in good enough health to try a race weekend again.

Maybe you will luck out because W&D is such a popular race and they can almost guarantee that they'll be able to resell the bib via charity or travel partner.

For off...chill please and put down the pitchforks. I understand you are defensive on Disneys behalf and lord knows I've done it too. I'm not expecting broken policies and I'm certainly not asking for any kind of refund. I'm dying to do the race. I'm super bummed because this would have been my first race weekend!

I just knew there was a deferral process in place and had more questions about it. The person I spoke to on the phone as well as their supervisor were super helpful and gave me good advice for how to proceed.

To go beyond your assumption and the assumptions of others here, yes I did in fact read all of the policies when I registered and many times since given that it was my first race weekend so I'm not being ignorant or expecting someone to move mountains for me. How ever, I know Disney's level of service is different and from my experience and the experiences of those around me Disney has been as accommodating as possible when requests are reasonable. If nothing can be done, then I'm fine with it but at least I tried and will be attempting to use the deferral process per their rules. I think that is reasonable enough.

After all is said and done, I know that this race is sold out and I would hate for my bib to go unused when so many people were upset they couldn't get in!

For off...chill please and put down the pitchforks. I understand you are defensive on Disneys behalf and lord knows I've done it too. I'm not expecting broken policies and I'm certainly not asking for any kind of refund. I'm dying to do the race. I'm super bummed because this would have been my first race weekend!

I just knew there was a deferral process in place and had more questions about it. The person I spoke to on the phone as well as their supervisor were super helpful and gave me good advice for how to proceed.

To go beyond your assumption and the assumptions of others here, yes I did in fact read all of the policies when I registered and many times since given that it was my first race weekend so I'm not being ignorant or expecting someone to move mountains for me. How ever, I know Disney's level of service is different and from my experience and the experiences of those around me Disney has been as accommodating as possible when requests are reasonable. If nothing can be done, then I'm fine with it but at least I tried and will be attempting to use the deferral process per their rules. I think that is reasonable enough.

After all is said and done, I know that this race is sold out and I would hate for my bib to go unused when so many people were upset they couldn't get in!

I think the biggest issue is that you are equating "Disney" (I'm assuming DL/WDW here for better or worse) and its level of service with that of "RunDisney". RunDisney is a largely separate entity with its own level of service and policy adherence. They are, unfortunately, notorious for being inconsistent, unresponsive and inflexible on most issues. There have been numerous instances of each relayed on the board here, including getting different answers from different RunDisney personnel when asked the same question.

I think the biggest issue is that you are equating "Disney" (I'm assuming DL/WDW here for better or worse) and its level of service with that of "RunDisney". RunDisney is a largely separate entity with its own level of service and policy adherence. They are, unfortunately, notorious for being inconsistent, unresponsive and inflexible on most issues. There have been numerous instances of each relayed on the board here, including getting different answers from different RunDisney personnel when asked the same question.
Amen to this. I only participate in rD races because of their location - Disney. I have had nothing but negative experiences when dealing with rD directly.

With deferrals, they have a process. There is no judgment of what reason is better. If you catch when deferrals open and get yours in among the first, you'll get it. If you don't, you might miss it, and your deferral won't be allowed. There's no grey area, there's no room for a heart or any sort of customer service. It's black and white.

That said, some didn't hear back and then found out they did get deferrals AFTER the race they tried to get deferrals for this year (Princess). Which is weird. But I'm sure it's still in line with how many deferrals they were allowing and how many applications they got. (and maybe some applied, got it, then went to the expo and picked up shirts etc, which you're not supposed to do from what I've read)

rundisney isn't a good race-running business IMO, and they aren't "disney". (I had a relatively rotten start of the race experience for RnR Seattle last weekend, spending 40 minutes getting onto then off of an offramp to get to their pre-paid parking, but overall it was still better than ANY rundisney event I've participated in... They knew of the problem, kept the shuttles going, and delayed the start by 15 minutes to help us out...)

I was able to defer this years. It was suppose to be my first race, and a number of things went wrong in fall that I had to stop training all together. I just checked every single day, I signed up for every possible email, and eventually everything went through. It was $50 to re-register for 2017, better than just tossing the $200-whatever or paying it twice. I didn't find the process difficult, but I was forewarned by reading these boards that it could be terrible and not happen so I was diligent about getting through.

It's actually an unusual thing in the running world TO offer deferrals. 99% of races don't for logistical reasons. I think of the 30-50 races Ive run only 2 companies offer deferrals/transfers, one being run Disney.

It stinks having to register so far out and so much 'life' happens in between vs local races you can register for a few month/weeks out when you know 'the future' but it's a gamble one takes.. As one who will be deferring at least one of my 2 registered run Disney races I'm with you..

It's actually an unusual thing in the running world TO offer deferrals. 99% of races don't for logistical reasons. I think of the 30-50 races Ive run only 2 companies offer deferrals/transfers, one being run Disney.

It stinks having to register so far out and so much 'life' happens in between vs local races you can register for a few month/weeks out when you know 'the future' but it's a gamble one takes.. As one who will be deferring at least one of my 2 registered run Disney races I'm with you..

The lack of a deferral option can definitely be frustrating. I had to eat the entry fee to a local half due to injury last year. I think it can also lead to people running in events they really shouldn't due to injury. It's understandable why most races do it, though.

The opportunity to defer is one reason that I like the Race 13.1 series. They tend to be simple, well run races with few frills and you won't find them on any "destination race" list, but they have a lot of races around the country and if you are unable to make the one you registered for you have the option to transfer to a race at a different venue for a small fee. It was much better to pony up an extra $15 to run in Roanoke when I realized my daughter's HS graduation conflicted with the Raleigh race than to just lose the entire entry fee.

Another option I've seen offered lately is the ability to purchase travel insurance to cover your entry fee in the event that you cannot make it to the race. I don't think I'd be likely to use the option, but if there's a question mark when you register I guess it's better than nothing...

Most of the expensive destination races offer deferrals, and most have policies very similar to rD. Small, local races (most) do not, but that is because they are so small and relatively inexpensive - and most of that money goes to charity, so folks don't tend to mind as much.

I can't stress enough how important it is to watch for deferrals to open and jump on it. Definitely follow rD on social media because sometimes they forget to notify via email or the website when the link is posted. For example, I have a friend who tore her ACL just after running Dark Side Weekend's 10k. She was registered to do the 1/2 for the Tink and called and emailed runDisney multiple times to notify them and request deferral. They said she had to wait for the link, which makes total sense. When the link posted it was only on facebook at first (at least I believe it was facebook) and by the time the emails were sent out the deferrals were already full. She tried to contact runDisney when that happened but at that point they wouldn't defer even with a doctor's note and instead said they would consider her request two weeks after the race. That left her with a choice, did she hobble through the park section of the race for as long as she could so she at least got part of her money's worth since she could wait in line for characters and such or did she just hope they approved the deferral and risk losing the amount paid.

It is understandable that companies limit deferrals but I want to believe that there is a better way for rD to do this. Perhaps ensuring the link went out everywhere at the same time would be a good start.

Anyway, good luck with your deferral.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter