Random Act of Kindness

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi! I read about someone budgeting "RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS" for their WDW trip and I think that's amazing and wonderul! I would like to do the same for our trip in a couple weeks. Tell me, what can I do to help others have a better day, feel better about themselves? I can toss money around, but what else? Sandra

Give someone in line your extra/not going to be used Fastpasses

Share a special tip with someone you are waiting in line with

I read that thread too and just loved the idea of giving balloons to kids! I am one of those parents who never buys a balloon. YIKES I know call me cheap but I just never know what to do with them, (I am talking about the big silver ones that never deflate and they want to bring them on the plane in the car......)But I wouldn't turn one down! LOL!

Hey Sandra C, this is the other Sandra C!

Try being extra nice to the CM's, they are at work while you are on vacation. We made the point every morning as we went through security to thank the security guards for keeping us safe. We also remembered to thank CM's that interact with you on an attraction such as JC at MK.Great lesson for the kids and made CM's feel good too. Lets see what else. Let someone ahead of you in line so their child can get the Dumbo or Color car they want.Offer a seat on the bus to someone who needs it or just looks more tired than you do.Comment on someone's cute or well behaved kid. Just smile at everyone!!

Jordan's mom

We always give out our fast passes to someone waiting in the regular line. Dh always waits w/ us on the curb for the parades and then gets up for a small child or two so they can get front row. I like to talk to people a lot, you'd be suprised at what you can find out and I like to give my own tips too. I think giving information to families who might not know about something is one of the nicest things you can do. Be sure to just SMILE, say Hi to people. It always bothers me when I see people walking around with a grumpy face at WDW, yelling at their kids and being total, well I won't say. I understand the trips can be stressful, but hey I don't let much bother me at WDW for more than a moment!

I like carrying extra mechanical pencils or short pencils and word searches. Then, if we are in line a a child behind us is trying to "help" me find the words, I give the child a pencil and several pages to keep. The parents always seem to like it.

A few things that haven't been mentioned:

Holding doors open for people with there hands full (or not full).

Helping somebody who is struggling to get their stroller on the bus.

Buy a few extra "glow in the dark" ropes while waiting for the parade or fireworks, and give them to children who don't have one. If you really want to go all out, you can even get an extra one or two of the other "light toys". Most kids would love to have them, but some parents don't want to buy them because they are over-priced. Something I just thought of: I believe you can buy the light ropes/sticks in party stores. Why not buy a few and bring them into the park to give out? It would be cheaper, and Disney won't say anything as long as you don't bring a hundred of them. (pausing while I add this to my "to do" list before our trip)

And as others have said, smile at CMs (including security, the street sweepers, etc) and be nice. If you bump into somebody, be the first to say your sorry (with sincerity). Of course, the fact that you are asking the question probably means you already do this type of stuff, but you never know!;)

If you have a particularly good encounter with a CM, note their name and when/where it happened and send it Guest Relations after you get back (or while you're there if you want). For characters, I've heard that if you just note the time/place/character name and send it in, they make sure that CM gets credit.

If you hear a guest say the can't find something, or don't understand something, and you can help, go for it.

Buy a few extra "glow in the dark" ropes while waiting for the parade or fireworks,
You can buy these pretty cheap in bulk at the oriental trading co.! I think I'm going to do this one next time! :D

We always move shorter kids in front of us for the parades.

Wedding bubbles can be brought and entertain kids in line.

Explaining the transportation system!

I am loving all these ideas! I can see a few kids getting MICKEY balloons! S

OMG!!!! I love this--the oriental trading idea is great-I get that magazine, so will probably do that also. The glow-stick's might help also for dark rides??? not sure havent been but heard some kids get scared during dark rides. Keep the ideas a-comming. I wish the whole world felt the same way as you people coming up with these ideas. God bless--

I don't have a whole lot of money with four kids myself taking to disney but i plan on asking someone if they want my stroller that i bought down there and used for the trip ,for my four yr old because i don't want to take it back with me, I hope someone can use it. and i will be getting some of those bubbles for others kids too.Good ideas!
Mrsmom

I remember that the 1st year, we took an umbrella. I decided I didn't like it, ao I gave it to someone. We bought pochos, decided we wanted WDW umbrellas instead. So, we gave our ponchos away and bought 2 umbrellas (one for DS, one for me) We gave one of those away on our last day. I love seeing people being totally shocked wen a complete stranger wants to give them an umbrella or pochos.

Smile and say "Cheese!" - offering to help take photos for people so the mom or dad are in the picture as well.:D

These are FANTATSTIC ideas! I like the glow necklaces and Oriental Trade is a GREAT idea!

I like to call the CM's by their first name and chat a bit about where they come from.They seem to enjoy it.

It seems like holding the door open for someone or letting them go before you in lines suprises the heck out of some people!

Just smiling at someone and saying hello.My honey and I have had some wonderful conversations with people from all over the USA and the world by just making some little comment and we go from there.

Keep them coming folks!!!

Several years ago, after returning from a long day at the parks, my mom and I went down to the food court for snacks for the family (Coronado Springs) and while waiting in line to pay, the couple in front of us turned around and said they were paying for our food too. Sure surprised us, and I will never forget it...

I could see this working great in the parks too - ice cream and popcorn aren't too expensive :)

My dh, dd and myself were waiting in line to see Ariel in her grotto and I was playing with dd at the little spitting fountains and stuff and dh struck up a conversation with this older couple behind him. They were from England and were just in Disney by themselves. After a little while in line and talking, they asked dh what ride this line was for. Dh kind of giggled and told them it was the line for Ariel. Apparently they had no clue and just assumed it was for a ride. They thanked dh and left. Luckily dh struck up the conversation or else they would have been dissapointed if they had waited all that time, it was definitely over an hour wait for us. Just thought that was nice of him. :)

We were re-entering MK one afternoon and a nice couple handed us a FP ticket for Space Mtn. They were leaving for the day and didn't need it. I thought that was nice!

We let kids go ahead of us with at character greetings. We do alot of character meals, so meeting characters outside of restaurants is a bonus for us that we like to share. Oddly enough, I think the characters send more time with my kids because we let others go first.

Nice guys ALWAYS finish FIRST! Sandra

I just came over to lurk and found this wonderful thread!

This is something I read once on these boards...and I hesitate to mention it because I don't know exactly how it works, but......I read where someone, while waiting in line for ToT, gives a penny to each of the kids in line so they can watch them float while doing the drops. Like I said, I don't know exactly how this works, I was planning on asking on the Attractions board before we leave. Maybe someone here knows how to float a penny on ToT?

I think I'll ask over on the attractions board now, so if you're interested, you can check out that thread.

One note on the glow necklaces/bracelets... try EBay!!
I bought 100 bracelets with connectors for $12.99!
Much cheaper than Oriental Trading!

If anyone is new to Ebay or is hesitant.... I can give you the name of the seller I bought from and you can search his listings. Very reliable with great feedback and quick shipping. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter