Random Musings From Aulani

We were in 1450, which is the two bedroom one door down and two floors up. 50 and 52 are the best units in the place, there's no doubt it my mind. Our only problem is that our kids are pretty early to bed, and the live music at the Olelo Room was too loud for us to sleep with the sliding doors open.
Ah. Makes sense. We don’t have kids so go to bed a bit later, after the music stops. We love it!

New and notable top 10 for today:

1. Just went down to rent a Casabella and discovered that they were not renting out snorkels or paddle boards this morning. Too many jellyfish! That’s a new one to us. But, not to worry, the turtles usually come in and eat them, so rentals will probably resume in a few hours. Since we have our own equipment, we’ll probably go out anyway to see if we can witness the food chain in action.

2. Ziplining. Ugh. Ok, it was kinda fun. Kinda. And they do push you to try unusual things you’d never do, like zipline upside down, which we did. So, that’s kinda a good thing, but still somewhat terrifying. So I have mixed feelings. Still, it was memorable. But I think a one and done sort of experience. A long drive up to the north shore. Time consuming. Very expensive. Guides pretending they’re best buddies just joking around and having a great time, but it’s clearly all scripted.

3. After we finished, it was a quick ten minute drive to the Turtle Bay Resort where we had lunch by the beach and watched the surfers. The place is beautiful and we had a great time.

4. Also stopped at Haleiwa. Huge line stretching down the block for Matsumotos. Not worth it! We strolled through the shops and had fun.

5. No wait to have dinner in the Olelo Room last night. Sushi was delicious.

6. No stargazing this week! Alas! I think the guy’s on vacation.

7. In spite of the fact that we’re DVC, housekeeping does come in every day to take out trash and change towels.

8. The ice tea they give us for the refillable mugs isn’t as good as what they sell taking drink orders on the beach. Just sayin’. Gotta give the bad with the good.

9. There’s a super fun shop across the street from Monkeypod kind of hidden in a covered passageway, by the Starbucks. I think it’s called Things Unique. Definitely worth a visit.

10. Looking forward to a day vegging on the beach! It’s great exercise swimming out to the rope beyond which they don’t want you to go, and then back again!

Matsumotos. Not worth it!
Fact check: True. Zero Pinocchios. (pst... Disney uses the exact same ingredients.)

7. In spite of the fact that we’re DVC, housekeeping does come in every day to take out trash and change towels.
I had the weirdest luck in January. Trash every day, towels almost never.

9. There’s a super fun shop across the street from Monkeypod kind of hidden in a covered passageway, by the Starbucks. I think it’s called Things Unique. Definitely worth a visit.
I really like Pineapple Boutique in that same plaza. Good sun dresses for women and I always find at least one or two nice silk aloha shirts on the clearance rack.

Fact check: True. Zero Pinocchios. (pst... Disney uses the exact same ingredients.)

I had the weirdest luck in January. Trash every day, towels almost never.

I really like Pineapple Boutique in that same plaza. Good sun dresses for women and I always find at least one or two nice silk aloha shirts on the clearance rack.
Pineapple Boutique sounds great! Going to Monkeypod tonight so will drop by.

Was that the zip lining from Keana Farms? We pitched it as one of our options to our girls for when we are at Aulani next month.

Was that the zip lining from Keana Farms? We pitched it as one of our options to our girls for when we are at Aulani next month.
Yeah, that’s the one. The place gets amazing reviews (which you should read online), so don’t necessarily let my mixed feelings dissuade you. That said, once we had done one or two ziplines, we had had enough, since each line is basically the same experience. The three hours for us dragged on and on, and the whole thing is monumentally pricey. Not worth it for us.

Yeah, that’s the one. The place gets amazing reviews (which you should read online), so don’t necessarily let my mixed feelings dissuade you. That said, once we had done one or two ziplines, we had had enough, since each line is basically the same experience. The three hours for us dragged on and on, and the whole thing is monumentally pricey. Not worth it for us.

Thank you! I could do without the heights myself, but we do the darndest things for kids.

I felt the same way about skydiving,,,one and done no thrill for us. But zipline and treetop trekking we love as a family,,,everyones different, that is what makes all great. Glad you at least tried and now you know. I will try almost anything once,,no way to know if you dont.

I felt the same way about skydiving,,,one and done no thrill for us. But zipline and treetop trekking we love as a family,,,everyones different, that is what makes all great. Glad you at least tried and now you know. I will try almost anything once,,no way to know if you dont.
Absolutely true!

This morning, my wife and I were in Waikiki and on a lark decided to explore around the zoo. What a fun time! It’s as much a beautiful park as it is a zoo. Not crowded, just a great place to take a nice walk.

The price was $18 each. But for $40 total, we could get a year membership and go as many times as we wanted. For us, it made sense because we’ll be back in Jan. and will probably visit again. Maybe twice!

thanks for the tip about the zoo - family of 5 with 3 adults (1 child over 12) and 2 12 and under it was cheaper to buy the membership rather than individual tickets and now we get the perks along with the membership.

Yes, we’ve rented a car for our entire trip. 15 nights, Budget Rental, approx. $1300. That said, we absolutely love hanging at the resort, it’s super fun, and my recommendation is always to enjoy Aulani as much as you can. If you’re beach, pool, lazy river people who want to maximize your time, it’s best spent right here.

We rented a car because we’re here for over two weeks and wanted to have the option to check out some other sites and activities on Oahu. But if we were here for a more limited time, we’d just stay at Aulani.
Hi Paul, If you are still there and if Roy's is open, I highly recommend it for dinners! It is within walking distance from Aulani, or you can take a shuttle. My daughter and I have eaten there during two Aulani trips. It is on the expensive side, but I would say well worth it, especially if two weeks at Aulani is within budget. Have a great time! Wish we were there! We plan to go back, but not yet.

Hi Paul, If you are still there and if Roy's is open, I highly recommend it for dinners! It is within walking distance from Aulani, or you can take a shuttle. My daughter and I have eaten there during two Aulani trips. It is on the expensive side, but I would say well worth it, especially if two weeks at Aulani is within budget. Have a great time! Wish we were there! We plan to go back, but not yet.
I know Roy’s is a favorite of many, but my wife and I did not have a good experience during our last two visits there. The service and food, for us, did not justify the price. But so many people like it that I’m sure at some point we’ll give it another try!

Here’s another dining tip we just unearthed. The best meal we’ve had during our entire stay so far was at…Waterman’s Lounge at the Four Seasons. What on earth is that, you might wonder? Well, it’s the bar by the round pool. They have an additional seating area on a different level, facing and closer to the beach, with very comfortable, luxe lounge style tables and chairs for dining. At night they offer a bar menu with specialty bao (s), flat breads, and all sorts of very substantial appetizers that totally work as entrees. It was delicious, far more reasonable than either Mina’s or Noe, and is not even listed on the hotel’s website. It’s also a lot closer to the water and just a beautiful place to truly take in the ocean. If you don’t want the dining, try it for a drink!

Love that they use rum from a distillery right there on Oahu. KoHana Rum is an easy drive along the way to the North Shore.
Monkeypod has been consistently sensational! Last night, at 7:30, it was a 45 minute wait for the two of us, so we went across the street to the new Mexican place. Normally, we would have just waited and explored the stores, though, which we might do tonight. And, good news! Monkeypod’s pizza oven, which hasn’t been working for the last week, is finally back up and running!

What do you order at Monkeypod? I mean, pizza obviously, but what kind, and what alternatives to pizza if the oven is not working?

What do you order at Monkeypod? I mean, pizza obviously, but what kind, and what alternatives to pizza if the oven is not working?
We actually haven’t had the chance to order the flatbread, but I think there was a shredded pork option and something else. We went twice last week, and shared the pumpkin ravioli appetizer once, and had the pork tacos and mahi mahi fish sandwich at other times. All delicious!

We have been to Hawaii twice and stayed at non-Disney locations. Have you ever compared your Aulani price to other locations and/or have you ever stayed somewhere else?

We have been to Hawaii twice and stayed at non-Disney locations. Have you ever compared your Aulani price to other locations and/or have you ever stayed somewhere else?
We've spent a few nights in Waikiki and the price for the good hotels there is pretty high. But we don't just select our accommodations based solely on price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter