RANT ALERT Park Manners

This is deviating a bit from the current topic of scooters / DAS. Btw, I've no issues myself with people being allowed to wait outside the main line that require it, as long as it can't be abused. I believe the new policy addresses all of the old complaints (can't wait in line for whatever reason), while keeping things fair for all guests and ensuring the potential for abuse is low (come back at allotted time - one attraction to be held at a time). As expected people are complaining about the new system because it is not as good as the old - however, it does keep things more or less fair for everyone, and addresses the main concerns of those who are unable to wait in long lines etc.

All of that aside, I wanted to bring up the general lack of manners we noticed when we visited in 2012. I was waiting outside one of the attractions, for my two daughters to come out. When they did, my youngest (7 yrs) held the door open for the people coming through behind her, as is common courtesy, and everyone behind her just trundled through without taking the door from her, or even saying thank-you. I counted 20+ people, most adults just walk through - looking at her (it wasn't that they didn't notice) - no-one taking the door for themselves or their party, and not a single one of them saying thank-you. Mostly adults; disgusting. Only when the flow of people stopped, did she let go. She took the experience in stride, but I was shocked. :mad:

This is deviating a bit from the current topic of scooters / DAS. Btw, I've no issues myself with people being allowed to wait outside the main line that require it, as long as it can't be abused. I believe the new policy addresses all of the old complaints (can't wait in line for whatever reason), while keeping things fair for all guests and ensuring the potential for abuse is low (come back at allotted time - one attraction to be held at a time). As expected people are complaining about the new system because it is not as good as the old - however, it does keep things more or less fair for everyone, and addresses the main concerns of those who are unable to wait in long lines etc.

All of that aside, I wanted to bring up the general lack of manners we noticed when we visited in 2012. I was waiting outside one of the attractions, for my two daughters to come out. When they did, my youngest (7 yrs) held the door open for the people coming through behind her, as is common courtesy, and everyone behind her just trundled through without taking the door from her, or even saying thank-you. I counted 20+ people, most adults just walk through - looking at her (it wasn't that they didn't notice) - no-one taking the door for themselves or their party, and not a single one of them saying thank-you. Mostly adults; disgusting. Only when the flow of people stopped, did she let go. She took the experience in stride, but I was shocked. :mad:

Sadly, we see this all the time. My dd will hold the door/gate all day if I let her. Rarely does ANYONE say "Thank you". People do get mad when there is a break in traffic and I tell dd we have to go-and no one is holding the door for them.

Well never once did i say wheelchairs in the mainstream lines were an issue. I think Disney could be setting themselves up for a lawsuit should someone in the line get ran over by an ECV in one of them. Make no mistake had my kids been with me the lady at Maelstrom probably would have hit one of them as careless as she was. And she thought it was funny, that was what made me the most irritated.

1: I understand this.... but this is an opinion poll if i am not mistaken. I don't like the scooters in the line, it's dangerous , period. Wheelchair I have no issue with but this lady was out of control and had she ran one of my kids over (which could have very well happened if they had been there) "crap" would have hit the fan.

I apologize you are right you didnt say wheelchairs you said scooters. Sorry in my eyes they are both the same as in they are both mobility devices with wheels that one sits on. Although they do make standing scooters now for those who are in need of that. Just dont see them around as much.

Ok to keep this thread on topic with rants here i go..... i do not like it when people assume that they know what type of issues an individual that uses a scooter or wheelchair goes through. I also dislike when someone bases an opinion or openly rejects a system such as the DAS or the accessible entrance without having been in the persons shoes that is using it in a way that best fits their own individual situation within the terms set forth by disney. People who are using the system have to do as disney has set forth and designed their system around to make the attractions accessible. To make personal assumptions about why someone is in need of a scooter or to make comments about a persons age and need for a scooter or assuming that unhealthy life choices are what puts a specific person into a wheelchair or scooter are unkind and hurtful. Again we are not in the shoes of that person, to pass judgement is just mean!! So much for the happiest place on earth, right? Why cant people just be nice?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....

Isn't it true that it is:
1. Illegal for Disney Guest Relations to ask what your disability is; thus when I or anyone (for that matter) asks for a GAC it will be given and there is no proof needed?

I think the pp's issue is this (and again, correct me if I'm wrong).....hypothetically guest with a GAC has already scheduled their hypothetical FP+ from home (the 3 they're alloted).....while waiting for those FP+ times to mature (so to speak), they take their GAC and get it "stamped" for a return time.....thus.....abusing the system still.

What will end up happening is the same as before, people will end up purchasing a "service dog" vest off of amazon/ebay, slapping it on their peek-a-poo and getting a pass and double dip....IMO

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....

Isn't it true that it is:
1. Illegal for Disney Guest Relations to ask what your disability is; thus when I or anyone (for that matter) asks for a GAC it will be given and there is no proof needed?

I think the pp's issue is this (and again, correct me if I'm wrong).....hypothetically guest with a GAC has already scheduled their hypothetical FP+ from home (the 3 they're alloted).....while waiting for those FP+ times to mature (so to speak), they take their GAC and get it "stamped" for a return time.....thus.....abusing the system still.

What will end up happening is the same as before, people will end up purchasing a "service dog" vest off of amazon/ebay, slapping it on their peek-a-poo and getting a pass and double dip....IMO

That's exactly what I was attempting to say. They should have a waiting area for people with disabilities ("those people" sorry i didnt feel like tying it out in previous post, i meant zero disrespect by it). I dont understand what would be "wrong" or "degrading" about that. If the wait is 30 minutes then have them wait for 30 minutes or move into a wheelchair and wait in line with the rest of their party.

That's exactly what I was attempting to say. They should have a waiting area for people with disabilities ("those people" sorry i didnt feel like tying it out in previous post, i meant zero disrespect by it). I dont understand what would be "wrong" or "degrading" about that. If the wait is 30 minutes then have them wait for 30 minutes or move into a wheelchair and wait in line with the rest of their party.

Any time you take a group of people, be it people with disabilities or people of a different ethnicity, and try to segregate them because of that difference, it comes off as "keep those people away from me so they don't bother me". No matter how it is meant.

Anyway as Disney is now allowing everyone to pull more than 3 FP+ a day, the complaint that people with GAC somehow get more is moot.

The funny thing is that my DH and I had some tension because he felt it was Disney World, people expect kids, and they expect kids to be excited, so they will be understanding of the unpredictable behaviors. I wanted to believe him, and tried to tell myself that, but reading this thread has made me realize he was completely wrong.

I hope that you really don't believe all of these rants! When a post is labelled as rant alert it means that the people posting on it are all thinking in the negatives. When I am in Disney World and I see little kids twirling and dancing while waiting for a parade it makes me smile. It helps me get the feeling of being a little kid again and experiencing the magic as if it was my first trip. I always look at the little ones (mine and others) and it whisks me back in time. Don't ever feel that your little ones shouldn't be little. These years are precious and go by so fast. Treasure the excitement and the spontaneity that the have. I'm sorry that some people made you feel this way.

Plutoloversmom, I agree with you! I think most people who are at WDW, just enjoy it--the atmosphere and the kids (big and small!) are what make the magic.

20yBWDW, let your kids be kids and just enjoy the magic!

Any time you take a group of people, be it people with disabilities or people of a different ethnicity, and try to segregate them because of that difference, it comes off as "keep those people away from me so they don't bother me". No matter how it is meant.

Anyway as Disney is now allowing everyone to pull more than 3 FP+ a day, the complaint that people with GAC somehow get more is moot.

Ridiculous, especially when the discussion is about a separate access area that is designed specifically for the benefit and convenience of the mobility-impaired people. And throwing ethnicity in out of the blue for good measure?? Waaaay off base from what that PP was trying to express. :sad2: I guess that's why a thread on bad manners goes on forever - some people can find offence in anything.

Don't talk on the rides!

I don't mean don't speak a word, but the time for idle chit chat is not when you've finally gotten on the ride. I hate it when I've finally gotten on a ride I've been waiting who knows how long for (both in the possibly long line and for months while I was at home), and the people in the next row or car are chatting so loudly I can't hear the ride.

Seriously, no ride is more than just a few minutes long. Wait til the it's come to a full and complete stop before you discuss what you'll have for lunch (or etc).

THIS! We had a Russian couple next to us on POTC and they weren't even looking at the ride, just chatting and laughing amongst themselves. It was my DFi's first time so that was a bit disappointing. Then on Splash a couple of 20 something girls screamed the ENTIRE time. Luckily it wasn't our only trip on Splash so we could actually hear the songs/story the second time around :)

THIS! We had a Russian couple next to us on POTC and they weren't even looking at the ride, just chatting and laughing amongst themselves. It was my DFi's first time so that was a bit disappointing. Then on Splash a couple of 20 something girls screamed the ENTIRE time. Luckily it wasn't our only trip on Splash so we could actually hear the songs/story the second time around :)

Thank you. I just so don't get it. Why wait in a boring line for 20 minutes (plus or minus) just to sit in a car and ignore everything around you? And I guess if that's what you want to do it's your business, but sheesh, don't chatter on and ruin it for everyone else. It makes me all GRRRRy.

Ridiculous, especially when the discussion is about a separate access area that is designed specifically for the benefit and convenience of the mobility-impaired people. And throwing ethnicity in out of the blue for good measure?? Waaaay off base from what that PP was trying to express. :sad2: I guess that's why a thread on bad manners goes on forever - some people can find offence in anything.

The way it was worded, it wasn't for the benefit of the mobility-impaired. It was for the benefit of others. I don't know why they would need a separate waiting are for people with disabilities to begin with. The vast majority lines are main-streamed, so there is no need for a separate area for their convenience. Most people in scooters don't race through them running people over, any more than most able bodied guests don't run around pushing people down.

The way it was worded, it wasn't for the benefit of the mobility-impaired. It was for the benefit of others. I don't know why they would need a separate waiting are for people with disabilities to begin with. The vast majority lines are main-streamed, so there is no need for a separate area for their convenience. Most people in scooters don't race through them running people over, any more than most able bodied guests don't run around pushing people down.

No no no Maxiesmom...we've got an able-bodied stroller commando looking for ankles to sever.....:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

That being said (tongue-in-cheek) - I see both sides, since I like to play devils advocate most times....I've seen able bodied people steam-roll through parks with a child in tow knocking over slower people just as frequently as I've seen scooter people plow through people because they've never used a scooter before.

Maybe they (Disney) should just make days for each group of people:confused3, if you'r of the stroller commando group you go on Sunday, if you're of the 32oz unsweetened iced tea group, you go on Monday, if you're of the leashed kid group you go on Tuesday :scared::scared:or we can just all deal with the realization that we live in a very diverse world and the world doesn't revolve around us, we evolve in it.

No no no Maxiesmom...we've got an able-bodied stroller commando looking for ankles to sever.....:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

That being said (tongue-in-cheek) - I see both sides, since I like to play devils advocate most times....I've seen able bodied people steam-roll through parks with a child in tow knocking over slower people just as frequently as I've seen scooter people plow through people because they've never used a scooter before.

Maybe they (Disney) should just make days for each group of people:confused3, if you'r of the stroller commando group you go on Sunday, if you're of the 32oz unsweetened iced tea group, you go on Monday, if you're of the leashed kid group you go on Tuesday :scared::scared:or we can just all deal with the realization that we live in a very diverse world and the world doesn't revolve around us, we evolve in it.

But Tuesdays are my son's worst days. How about Mondays? :rotfl2:

I think we all need to learn to deal with idiots. They are all around us. No matter where we go.

Plutoloversmom, I agree with you! I think most people who are at WDW, just enjoy it--the atmosphere and the kids (big and small!) are what make the magic.

20yBWDW, let your kids be kids and just enjoy the magic!

Thanks to both of you! There are times when I feel like parenting decisions are no-win in the court of public opinion. You've reminded me to stop worrying about it, because there are people who are too involved in enjoying their own vacation to be critiquing other people's parenting, and that I should do the same.

Well never once did i say wheelchairs in the mainstream lines were an issue. I think Disney could be setting themselves up for a lawsuit should someone in the line get ran over by an ECV in one of them. Make no mistake had my kids been with me the lady at Maelstrom probably would have hit one of them as careless as she was. And she thought it was funny, that was what made me the most irritated.

Yes i think a separate waiting are would be the best option for a number of reasons from practical to petty if you will.

1. It is safer for everyone involved.
2. Many people complain that CM's are not stopping the moving walkways for wheelchairs and I would agree that they may have been told during busy times try not to stop the ride. If they were to group people with DAS in an area and have a running clock where every 10 minutes (or on an as needed basis) or so they let those people on.
3. Personally I don't like the fact that because you have a DAS card you can essentially get an "old style FP" ticket then go ride something you have set up on FP+ perhaps grab a quick bite then head back to your ride that has the DAS que and then repeat throughout the day. Unless you paid extra for that DAS i see it as an added benefit that not all can participate in.

And yes, originally I did post that they should get a ticket and wait to ride like the rest of us, but I don't like the fact that the card gives them the right to go and take in the rest of the park until their time comes up, while others have to wait in a 40-50 minute line and don't have the same option. I guess a middle ground would be (and again maybe Disney already does this, i don't know) but if you use the DAS it is only good for the person and one guest not a the entire crew.

To the person that wrote back saying I was in the wrong on the monorail, actually I wasn't. I don't have to wake a sleeping baby so that Mr. "ImOldYouBetterRespectME" can have his whole family in the same car as he. The CM spoke up and told him there was room for him in the handicapped car and plenty of room for others in his group in other cars.

I use a power wheelchair and have other disabilities that make
DAS use necessary. If I could I would much prefer going through the standby line if I do not use FP+. Because I do use DAS I am not in line with you and don't have to worry about your child hitting my controller and causing my wheelchair to run over someone's feet, I do not startle when someone bumps me because I don't hear them come up behind me, I don't get hit in the face when someone turns and their backpack comes into my space.
I can only have one DAS time at a time. I have to go to the ride, get the time from the CM and then come back to ride. Then I have to repeat for the next ride I want to go on. And often I wait longer than the standby line because no matter how long the FP+ line is I have to go through that as well. So it is Standby wait minus 10 minutes plus the time to go through the FP+ line. Equal access, not really but it is how it is being dealt with.
You will see me occasionally arrive at a line, speak with the CM and be ushered into the line w/o DAS or FP+. It is when the show is interpreted for the deaf and hard of hearing. The show is interpreted at that 1 show on the scheduled day so the interpreting is considered our FP. We are still asked to arrive at least 20 minutes prior to the show time.
As to the monorail, as long as there was space in a handicapped car for the man then you should not have to fold up your stroller. I don't always get to ride with my entire group on the monorail but always have 1 member with me. No big deal unless I have my husband and grandkids with me and then we wait until we can all be together as they are too young to go on their own.

unfortunately everyone thinks they are more important than anyone else .
Why don't you all stay home when I go LOl :cool1:

1: I understand this.... but this is an opinion poll if i am not mistaken.
No poll, it's a discussion.
I don't like the scooters in the line, it's dangerous , period. Wheelchair I have no issue with but this lady was out of control and had she ran one of my kids over (which could have very well happened if they had been there) "crap" would have hit the fan.
So, first you're assuming one person's inability to navigate one turn extrapolates to all ECV users never being able to properly operate any ECV anywhere under any conditions. Then you're fabricating an incident which couldn't possibly have occurred becaue your children weren't there!

I also don't like the other alternative I see at some places where people in wheelchairs and so forth get to go a special way and bypass the line altogether and hop right on. Easy fix too this problem is if you can't get out of your scooter or wheelchair, take a number from a CM and if the wait is 30 minutes when you arrive at a ride, then you may take your scooter through an optional way to the front of the line but you will wait the 30 min.
2: So then there is special treatment for people in wheelchairs or with scooters. If they are given a pass and told to come back at a certain point to ride that is like a fastpass. Now if I am not mistaken I only get three fastpasses per day, yet what you are saying is that wheelchair bound or scooter bound people technically get an unlimited supply. Im sure they get their 3 FP+ and then they are getting what is essentially the old fastpass. It irks me because I paid the same amount of money they did to the parks.
So, first you think giving mobility-impaired guests a number (time) to come is the perfect solution to letting us wait in line with everyone else - then when you find out this is exactly what WDW does, it's unfair?

3: And I would agree it is not easy to tour the park in a wheelchair however it is extremely easy to do so in a scooter, I've done it at Universal for my daughters bday party 2 weeks after ACL/MCL reconstruction. And i didnt ride any rides or use my "disability" in any lines for others to ride.

If you didn't ride any rides, you can't compare your experience to anyone using an ECV who does ride the rides.

4: Please don't think I am heartless. I have no quarrel letting a child with a disablility and their family go all the way to the front if thats what they want. I have an issue with people , and trust me I could point out plenty at any given time in any park that are not what I would consider medically needed, or wheelchair bound. Just because you are fat or have not taken care of yourself by smoking so much you cant walk more than 50 feet without resting does not make you any more special than those of us holding onto that 25 pound baby in a 30-45 minute line.

Only seriously ill Wish Trip children (and their parties) go to the front of the line. It's sad you don't have any compassion for adults to whom you mistakenly consider yourself superior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter