• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rant Time I Don't Want To Staycation Or Travel to Europe I Want To Go To USA

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
ok, I just need to get this off my chest as I'm sure a lot of us here are feeling this. When I was a child and right up until I left college at 21, the only holidays we as a family did were in Ireland. Year after year year we visited various family members all over Ireland, we did the south of Ireland beaches, the Shannon waterways, the national parks, the OPW stately homes, the zoo, The Burren, the caves, the drives up the Mountains, the Connor Pass, the camping and caravan parks , swimming in the lakes and sea and so much more.

When I started earning my own money, I was out of Ireland, and I found my place in the world, USA. Not for me the cheap package holiday to the Canary Islands or the villa in Spain or Portugal , year after year getting on the plane to USA was the highlight of my year.

I am so so sick of all the in your face staycation push. All these oh look at me I never knew UK / Ireland was this nice, theres no need to go on a foreign holiday when we have all this in our country. Oh big swing, I have had it up to here with people who ignored our own country for most of their lives. Good for you if you have never been outside your own county but now suddenly are "discovering" the amazing scenery and sea swimming. I was swimming in the Atlantic ocean when I was 5 years old!!

All I want is to get on a 10 hour flight to California. Until that is possible, I will be saving my money and not following the trendy crowd on the staycations or cheap package holidays!!

ok, I just need to get this off my chest as I'm sure a lot of us here are feeling this. When I was a child and right up until I left college at 21, the only holidays we as a family did were in Ireland. Year after year year we visited various family members all over Ireland, we did the south of Ireland beaches, the Shannon waterways, the national parks, the OPW stately homes, the zoo, The Burren, the caves, the drives up the Mountains, the Connor Pass, the camping and caravan parks , swimming in the lakes and sea and so much more.

When I started earning my own money, I was out of Ireland, and I found my place in the world, USA. Not for me the cheap package holiday to the Canary Islands or the villa in Spain or Portugal , year after year getting on the plane to USA was the highlight of my year.

I am so so sick of all the in your face staycation push. All these oh look at me I never knew UK / Ireland was this nice, theres no need to go on a foreign holiday when we have all this in our country. Oh big swing, I have had it up to here with people who ignored our own country for most of their lives. Good for you if you have never been outside your own county but now suddenly are "discovering" the amazing scenery and sea swimming. I was swimming in the Atlantic ocean when I was 5 years old!!

All I want is to get on a 10 hour flight to California. Until that is possible, I will be saving my money and not following the trendy crowd on the staycations or cheap package holidays!!
I agree. I've travelled up and down the country most of my life and although there are plenty of place I haven't visited within the UK and Ireland, I much prefer saving my money for a US holiday than here as I've done it for 20 odd years.
The other thing with a UK staycation this year (and probably next too) is the prices for hotels (and campsites/places like centerparcs) have been hiked up that much that some people are happy to pay it just to get a "holiday" in which I personally will not be doing. I understand these businesses lost money over the past 18 months but I'd feel like I'm almost rewarding their behaviour in upping their prices so won't do it.
The money we've saved already from the past 18 months would more than likely allow us to have another holiday to Florida straight after the one we have booked at present so will just continue to save and have the odd day out here and there close to home that I use to double up as a shopping day for when I need to buy something.

I agree. I've travelled up and down the country most of my life and although there are plenty of place I haven't visited within the UK and Ireland, I much prefer saving my money for a US holiday than here as I've done it for 20 odd years.
The other thing with a UK staycation this year (and probably next too) is the prices for hotels (and campsites/places like centerparcs) have been hiked up that much that some people are happy to pay it just to get a "holiday" in which I personally will not be doing. I understand these businesses lost money over the past 18 months but I'd feel like I'm almost rewarding their behaviour in upping their prices so won't do it.
The money we've saved already from the past 18 months would more than likely allow us to have another holiday to Florida straight after the one we have booked at present so will just continue to save and have the odd day out here and there close to home that I use to double up as a shopping day for when I need to buy something.

Another thing about the big staycation push is that its all about families, as if they are the only people in society who want to holiday. Anyone who does not fit into the parent with young kids box is basically ignored. Take the kids here, take the kids there, ugh, absolutely no consideration for any other part of society.

Another thing about the big staycation push is that its all about families, as if they are the only people in society who want to holiday. Anyone who does not fit into the parent with young kids box is basically ignored. Take the kids here, take the kids there, ugh, absolutely no consideration for any other part of society.
Absolutely! The other thing is (not tying to sound rude to those with children) but as a childless couple, having any sort of holiday during children being off school is the absolute worst thought for us so would obviously chose to do something now after Sept (thus an early Oct holiday at the moment to florida).

The whole 'staycation' thing is a bit weird to me. When did that start ? 😂

When I was a kid and was dragged off camping in the Highlands or to Butlins or whatever, it was still just a 'holiday' 🤷‍♂️

exactly, its just a term used now for those who looked down their noses at going to a beach or camping holidays before Covid, but now its oh so trendy to explore the next county over!! Its funny, when I was in school I was bullied cos my family didnt go to Spain on a cheap package holidays and we went on holiday all around Ireland. I bet those same people who bullied me all those years ago are now blowing up social media with their staycation photos from the beaches of Kerry, where I spent every summer as a child!!

The whole 'staycation' thing is a bit weird to me. When did that start ? 😂

When I was a kid and was dragged off camping in the Highlands or to Butlins or whatever, it was still just a 'holiday' 🤷‍♂️
I think it's precisely to avoid the idea that it's the sort of holiday you had several decades ago. This is new and exciting ... and all you're allowed.
It kinda goes with the TV we are getting now ... mostly repeats but talked up as "a refreshing look back".

Then again, a lot of the stuff in WDW/DL isn't exactly new :blush:

I'm extra sulking as in 2020 we had booked a European cruise in may, a 6 week Florida/ Tennessee / New Orleans road trip for the summer school hols and whale watching in Mexico December 😁

The cruise was booked on release date in Nov 2018. !!

As we had so many big trips booked for 2020 we decided to NOT do any big trips abroad in 2019 😂 and did loads of bloody UK cheap caravan minibreaks instead 😭😭

Oh regret and hindsight lol wish I had just credit carded it all and done it in 2018/19 rather than doing the sensible thing and saving waiting.

exactly, its just a term used now for those who looked down their noses at going to a beach or camping holidays before Covid, but now its oh so trendy to explore the next county over!! Its funny, when I was in school I was bullied cos my family didnt go to Spain on a cheap package holidays and we went on holiday all around Ireland. I bet those same people who bullied me all those years ago are now blowing up social media with their staycation photos from the beaches of Kerry, where I spent every summer as a child!!

Yep this. We have always had plenty of abroad holidays but I have always just loved new places whether UK or abroad so on weekends etc I would think nothing of 6/8 hour round trip to various English beaches or cities.

I do still have plenty of places on my England / Scotland/ Wales bucket lists to visit but 💯 ready for some overseas adventure. Hubby is missing the USA more than me . I just want to go "somewhere" and currently less fussy than him but he has serious gulf coast beachy fishing withdrawals .

I'm thinking longer term so rather than rush bk to the USA I'm plotting and extending the original road trip itinerary 🤔

i totally hate the term "staycation". It's a vacation. Why the need for a new name??
Besides, i've always thought a staycation is when you stay at home in your house. And just rest and read or putter around the garden.
That is definitely not what i do when i go on holiday, whether i need a passport or not.

Every year, we go on small domestic trips throughout the year and one BIG foreign trip (i bet you can guess to where).
They're all nice in their own way.
During this covid nightmare, we've managed about 4 really nice holidays around the country where i live.

But even with the really nice trips, WE WANT THE MOUSE!!! (and let's not forget shopping at the outlet malls 8-) )

I'm exhausted from all the unknown.
From the constant changes to the rules from one minute to the next.
From not knowing if we'll be able to go next summer or ever at this point.

Hard as it is to imagine, i actually WANT TO GET ON A PLANE!!!! Are the walls closing in???

Totally agree with this, I was very fortuante as a child. My parents would save up and we would make it to Florida every couple of years, and in the mean time we did trips closer to home. I am sure there are lovely parts of this country I haven't seen, but at the prices that they're quoting to go and see them I'm not too fussed! I'd rather wait and carry on saving and get back to the US one day and have a great time when I get there. I'm still hopeful (I know incredilby and widly optimisitc) that I can make it to New York for a weekend before the end of the year. Currently don't have anything booked but as soon as we get that green light I'll be on it straight away!

I feel your pain. I live in Canada, I don't want to travel in Canada. We are the family that goes on 3 big trips a year to the USA. I want to be in the USA..... I want to be in Florida, I keeping telling my kids that they are fortunate that we have gone every year since they were born, some of their friends are now teens and have never gone and probably wont...

Tbh we hardly go abroad at all so its not that weird for us. Our big wdw trip was cancelled in 2020 - we are moving it to 2024/5- as we are getting married now and might as well do it for a honeymoon.

We go the IOW normally. But it was a bit difficult to book our 2nd trip this year. Had to wait until end of september to get a decent deal. Done a couple of road trips.

But we spend a ridiculous amount of money for a week in england and this year was definitely more expensive. I love it but I can see why people dont with the price etc.

I didn't want to staycation either but it's better than doing nothing and staying at home.

We didn't even make our European alternative holiday as we all tested positive 4 days. Before we were due to fly out . 🙈

We have just had a staycation in Scotland instead and it was just stunning. Plus as Scottish school holidays are different to English ones we went late August and got a really good price. If it had been extortionate we probably wouldn't have bothered going.

I didn't want to staycation either but it's better than doing nothing and staying at home.

Actually for me, in my personal situation, not going on a staycation and saving, as my financial situation has got better due to Covid and my day to day costs have decreased, means that when I do get back to Disneyland California, I will have a much bigger budget than on any of my previous trips, which means things I could never do before I can now afford.

Instead of being priced out of Disney, I am looking forward to not having to do Disney on a budget.

Actually for me, in my personal situation, not going on a staycation and saving, as my financial situation has got better due to Covid and my day to day costs have decreased, means that when I do get back to Disneyland California, I will have a much bigger budget than on any of my previous trips, which means things I could never do before I can now afford.

Instead of being priced out of Disney, I am looking forward to not having to do Disney on a budget.

We have a trailer tent so have been able to keep staycation costs down. I was comfortable spending £500 for 7-10 nights camping trip.

But absolutely agree no way was I willing to drop a couple of grand going to centre parks for 24 hours 🤣🤣 that kinda spending ruins my abroad trips saving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter