"Rapid seismic slowdown in spending!"

I haven't seen such a slowdown as it relates to Disney. I tried to book a trip in the first week in December (3rd-8th) and have been told that there is nothing available anywhere on property (DVC or cash).

It floored me.:scared1:

NO WAY!! :scared1: I'm going at this time or year because its been said that its one of the slower times.

What I don't understand is if the economy is so bad, how come Disney is "sold out" and why have they just started promoting a "Buy 4 and get 3 Free" deal? I thought they were doing this because attendance is dropping. :laughing:

NO WAY!! :scared1: I'm going at this time or year because its been said that its one of the slower times.

What I don't understand is if the economy is so bad, how come Disney is "sold out" and why have they just started promoting a "Buy 4 and get 3 Free" deal? I thought they were doing this because attendance is dropping. :laughing:

I keep hearing that, but after looking at Airtran's prices. One can fly direct to MCO from DTW for $200 11/21-11/28.

Went on to Expedia and they had rooms for 11/21-12/30 at YC, BWI, CBR a Coronado Springs, Swan and Dolphin available. Also rooms at the All-Stars. Also all the Universal hotels had rooms.

We returned last week. Although the hotels may be booked solid, i'm not sure that guests are continuing to enter the parks and book at the restaurants as much as before. The week we were there is that very busy last week of food and wine/Jersey week. To us, it definitely seemed that the parks were not as busy as in previous years (we go this week every year). I remember last year that on the weekends you could hardly move in EPCOT. It sure didn't feel that way this time. As we moved around the parks we hardly needed fastpasses except for the new and popular rides. We were surprised as we didn't think people would have changed their plans this fast (i.e. trip booked before the markets went crazy...so they go anyway)

As far as there being no availability on site, remember most of the hotel rooms are off site. The I think the discounts Disney live free dining and 4/3 are convincing people who would stay off site to stay onsite instead.

A 7 day trip for 1 Jan 11 to 18 is 604.00 Subtract $200 for the ticket and $200 for the gift card leave you with 203 for the room. Or under $30 a night. Adding a second person still give you $50 a night for the room. Add in DME and free transportation to the parks and staying on site can be cheaper than staying off site.

I am so sad, my favorite restaurant (Texas Steakhouse & Saloon) just sent me an email that they have closed our local location until further notice. I really feel for the staff :sad2: We noticed last week that they weren't as busy as usual, didn't think they would have to close this quickly.

Oh, and while I'm very upset about the economic downturn... I'm one of those people waiting to snatch up all the good deals! :surfweb:

I read this and laughed!!
I have a very stable medical field job...which when thing get bad...we get even busier!! So I too am one of those people sitting back waiting to snatch up the good deals!! Hey...I'm HELPING the economy, because I can..and the deals let me help even more:rotfl:

I'm still waiting for my DVC to close... bad economy didn't stop me from buying now, nor will it keep me from WDW. Someone said that the DVC demographic was different from the 'average WDW visitor' demographic.... I totally agree.

Paula

A friend of mine who owns a condo very close to the Animal Kingdom (and is leaving to visit Mickey tomorrow :goodvibes ) told me that bookings for her condo are down and she's had nothing but cancellations for whatever was previously booked.

The Mouse might not be having as drastic a difference, and I'm sure people who had holiday packages and were already paid in full are still going, but if you listen to Bob Iger's report to shareholders, they are expecting a drop in attendance in 2009.

I'm sure many DVC'ers will still go (since our lodging is "paid for") but I don't think we are a good sample of the population at large. I think people who have to shell out for rooms, tickets and meals are going to think twice.

...I'm sure many DVC'ers will still go (since our lodging is "paid for") but I don't think we are a good sample of the population at large. I think people who have to shell out for rooms, tickets and meals are going to think twice.

I tend to agree.

We are not Disney's bread and butter draw nor are we the standard demagraphic, IMO.

Many of us have APs that are paid for as well. For my family, it's gas or airfare and food. We're gonna eat if we're home and we're probably gonna ride too (though not quite as far, I guess LOL). There's really no reason for us NOT to go.

When it comes time to renew $1000 in APs next Dec, we may rethink... Never mind. We won't rethink anything. I'll just rationalize it somehow regardless the economy's current shape! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

"As far as there being no availability on site, remember most of the hotel rooms are off site. The I think the discounts Disney live free dining and 4/3 are convincing people who would stay off site to stay onsite instead."

What a great point!! If you think we as DVC owners feel beholden to the mouse, imagine how the off site hotels feel. Their ressie list can get crushed in one fell swoop and unlike disney, they can't depend on theme park spending to make it up.

To me, this just adds to the long term reasons to own dvc (assuming you want to vacation there). I would guess that Orlando off site resales are going to get crushed in this environment. We may not hold up completely, but I'm pretty certain we won't suffer much. I would also suspect that once things rebound, we will rebound much quicker than off site. I also think longer term, we will see very high inflation. You can't pick the bottom, but I find it hard to imagine that a DVC purchase won't look brilliant in 5-10 years.

I tend to agree.

We are not Disney's bread and butter draw nor are we the standard demagraphic, IMO.

Many of us have APs that are paid for as well. For my family, it's gas or airfare and food. We're gonna eat if we're home and we're probably gonna ride too (though not quite as far, I guess LOL). There's really no reason for us NOT to go.

When it comes time to renew $1000 in APs next Dec, we may rethink... Never mind. We won't rethink anything. I'll just rationalize it somehow regardless the economy's current shape! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

That's how I look at it too.

We are consumers no matter where we are. If we stay at home for Christmas break, we still have groceries, dining out, entertainment, and gas. Not to mention increased usage of utilities at home, with the kids at home all day for 2 weeks, running everything that plugs in at the same time, heating the house all day, and our Christmas decorations and lighting. Plus I shop when Im bored.:cutie:

We use our DVC and can spend the same amount on most line items. Our gas is increased by about 25% because we fill up 6 times round trip at WDW, I would need about 4 fill ups if we stayed home and ran about town.

When we are gone for 2 weeks, our electric bill is usually 1/2 of normal. Water Bill too.:rotfl:

We can spend the same grocery money and eat in our Villa and splurge the same amount for dining out. I also save rewards and gift cards for our trips.

In return, our daily entertainment costs for a family of 4 are greatly reduced and our lodging is prepaid. I calculate $200 a day for our family to do local attractions, like Zoos, more for Great Wolf lodge, or Six Flags. I've spent $100 at Putt-Putt and that was just tokens and food. Food and parking really add up for day trips also. We can spend $100 a day at WDW thru park multi-day tickets, AP's, DQuest AP's etc and have a blast.

So for our money, we would rather use our DVC. We have a built in cost of living that travels with us. Just because we stay home, does not mean we are not spending money. It's almost cheaper to go away for 2 weeks (now that we have DVC) then it is to stay home.:goodvibes

Best Buys said that a "rapid seismic slowdown in spending" caused a 12% decrease in their stock price. I sure am glad that DVC is immune to all this economic nonsense and is willing and able to raise their prices! :dance3:

popcorn:: Ooo the Magic. :wizard: Disney stock has dropped from 35 to 21 over the past year. That's more than 30%. Someone send Jim Lewis a copy of the Wall STreet Journal. Actually:

The Disney Travel Show incentives may be only the start. I think DVC sees what is going around.

Lets just hope Disney didn't hire exec from the same school as GM.

I would be really sad if Disney went under.

Companies have to decide on either margin or volume, BB chose volume by lowering their price and DVC chose margin. As a shareholder in Disney, I agree with their decision. :surfweb:

But Disney is sacrificing margin for volume with their buy 4 get 3 free deals. And what about the 5 nights free at BLT, hundreds of dollars of Disney cash and extra cash incentives DVC itself is offering at the Traveling Show for buying in at the new resorts? Isn't that a bit-o-margin?

Say, CraftyMouse, don't you think some of these people are "just stirring the pot"? Say nice things about DVC or don't say anything at all. :rolleyes1

We get a huge tax return ever year and that is our disney money no mater what. We love our trips and will continue to go.

So do we, that is how I bought my resale. This coming year I will be on the look out for another resale deal!

I'll hazard a guess that 2009 may be a big year for banking points - or trying to rent them out. Not all DVC members are as dedicated to a yearly trip (or more) as some of us here on the Disboards.

DisFlan

That's us. We have a trip scheduled for the beginning of June to get the last use out of our AP's before they expire that month, then we'll bank whatever we have left and sit tight for a year. We're very fortunate that DH's job is in good shape, but we don't want to risk spending too much and then something happening and us being caught short. There are plenty of places within a 3 hour drive of here that we can visit.

Of course I say that now...depending on how things go I may see if I can talk DH into a trip sometime in 2010...;)

If I were looking to save money on vacations this year, I wouldn't bank the points. I would TAKE ADVANTAGE of my DVC. I'd use the "free" lodging and just NOT GO TO THE PARKS and eat in the villa.

Talk about a cheap vacation.:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter