READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if your bg get called at the exact same time as your adr you have time to eat. How long has been the longest time you've spent eating at sci-fi?
Our problem at Sci Fi has always been the long wait to be seated, even with an ADR. The last time we ate there (maybe a year ago) they were 45 minutes behind seating ADRs, and we waited longer than the 45 minutes to be seated. Our ADR was at 5:00. We didn’t mind because that was the last thing on our agenda for the day, but I can see where it would be a concern. The actual dining part took about an hour.

I wonder if they would seat you sooner if you prove your BG has just been called?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just returned from WDW and wanted to report our ROTR boarding group experience. The good, the bad and the ugly!
The good: We eventually got to ride it a few times during our trip. And LOVED it! Got a bonus ride one day that made up a bit for the 3 days we tried unsuccessfully to ride.
The bad: Took us 3 days to get on ROTR the first time. Were evacuated once before hitting the main parts of the ride. Ride kept going down just before they got to us. Only rode half the ride twice.
The ugly: Had a very low backup group one day and they got some backup in but were just 8 short of ours.

Jan. 8 - Our first attempt. At bus @ 5:45. In park by 6:30 (maybe a tad earlier). On phones for 7 am. Thrilled to get BG 87. Waited all day at HS (skipped our usual nap) and it got up to within 5 boarding groups of ours and ride went down. With no idea how long the ride would be down, we had to leave for our 5 pm Liberty Tree ADR (we had a group of 14 and did not want to pay the $140 penalty). We did try asking guest experience team to move our reservation an hour later, but because it was a such popular restaurant, it was not possible. Went to the cast members at the ride to plead our case for giving us a fastpass for tomorrow. After some polite pleading, including mentioning the fact that we had a large group (with two 83 year olds and an infant) and had an impossible to move dining reservation so waiting any longer that day was truly not an option for us, they gave us one. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jan. 9 (My Birthday!) - Our plan was to be at HS that evening after our 5 pm Boma meal. Arrived about 6:45 to use our fastpass from yesterday. Ride went down just before we got there and they said it would be down for the rest of the day. Rats! Guest relations folks kindly extended our fastpass until tomorrow.

Jan. 10 - Got to HS by 6:30 am. Rope dropped a couple of rides. Went to ROTR as soon as it opened. Finally got to ride! BUT the first section of the ride was not functioning so we really got a half a ride and without the back story it was a bit confusing. BONUS: We were baby swapping because of the 2 year old so while the last 3 rode I tried for a BG, just for fun, and much to my surprise I got backup group 144! Left for our regular day at Epcot. BG 144 was called just before 6 pm while we were at dinner. (I apologize that my times are approximate, but I always forget to look at the time in all the excitement.) We rushed over right after dinner to ride. Full ride this time! Amazing! Unfortunately, the parents with the baby and the 83 year olds went back to the hotel and did not ride because it had been too long a day for them already.

Jan. 12 - Most of us went early to get a BG. Got BG 57 this time. Grandparents and parents with baby were not able to join us that early. Couple with baby arrived at 7:10 and got BG 90. Guest services was able to move them to our boarding group. Was able to get the grandparents a backup group when they arrived later. BG called early afternoon (couple with baby had already left for nap so they missed out on the ride again). The backup boarding group for grandparents was called, but they sacrificed their ride to allow the parents of the baby to ride since they had only made it on a partial ride in 4 attempts. (Grandparents are the best!)

Jan. 14 - Since our plan was to be in HS in the evening. Two of us crazies went to HS to be in for 7 am to get a boarding group. Had to wait too long for a bus so we did not tap in until 7:15. Got a backup boarding group of 127. Felt pretty good about that, though. But it was a bad day for ROTR with lots of down time. While we were at our Mama Melrose's dinner got the notification that they would not get to our group. (They made it to 119, just 8 short!)

Jan. 15 - My brother and I decided to try again this morning. We left on a bus at 6 am. Got boarding group 36. We stayed in HS until our group was called at 8:30. Got a bit into ride and were evacuated. Got a fastpass. Rushed to AK where the rest of our group was. We missed our planned FOP rope drop but, luckily, we had a FOP fastpass which we did manage to make! Just barely. ROTR re-opened and the 2 of us bused over to ride it around 1 pm. Were glad to get one more ride in before we left on Jan. 16.

Summary: In 10 days, we all got to ride at least once. Almost everyone got to ride twice and a half. My brother and I got to ride 2 partial rides (which together added up to 1 full ride) and 3 full rides. Took lots of effort, several early mornings and some disappointment, but it was all well worth it!

Last edited:
Just returned from WDW and wanted to report our ROTR boarding group experience. The good, the bad and the ugly!
The good: We eventually got to ride it a few times during our trip. And LOVED it! Got a bonus ride one day that made up a bit for the 3 days we tried unsuccessfully to ride.
The bad: Took us 3 days to get on ROTR the first time. Were evacuated once before hitting the main parts of the ride. Ride kept going down just before they got to us. Only rode half the ride twice.
The ugly: Had a very low backup group one day and they got some backup in but were just 8 short of ours.

Jan. 8 - Our first attempt. At bus @ 5:45. In park by 6:30 (maybe a tad earlier). On phones for 7 am. Thrilled to get BG 87. Waited all day at HS (skipped our usual nap) and it got up to within 5 boarding groups of ours and ride went down. With no idea how long the ride would be down, we had to leave for our 5 pm Liberty Tree ADR (we had a group of 14 and did not want to pay the $140 penalty). We did try asking guest experience team to move our reservation an hour later, but because it was a such popular restaurant, it was not possible. Went to the cast members at the ride to plead our case for giving us a fastpass for tomorrow. After some polite pleading, including mentioning the fact that we had a large group (with two 83 year olds and an infant) and had an impossible to move dining reservation so waiting any longer that day was truly not an option for us, they gave us one. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jan. 9 (My Birthday!) - Our plan was to be at HS that evening after our 5 pm Boma meal. Arrived about 6:45 to use our fastpass from yesterday. Ride went down just before we got there and they said it would be down for the rest of the day. Rats! Guest relations folks kindly extended our fastpass until tomorrow.

Jan. 10 - Got to HS by 6:30 am. Rope dropped a couple of rides. Went to ROTR as soon as it opened. Finally got to ride! BUT the first section of the ride was not functioning so we really got a half a ride and without the back story it was a bit confusing. BONUS: We were baby swapping because of the 2 year old so while the last 3 rode I tried for a BG, just for fun, and much to my surprise I got backup group 144! Left for our regular day at Epcot. BG 144 was called just before 6 pm while we were at dinner. (I apologize that my times are approximate, but I always forget to look at the time in all the excitement.) We rushed over right after dinner to ride. Full ride this time! Amazing! Unfortunately, the parents with the baby and the 83 year olds went back to the hotel and did not ride because it had been too long a day for them already.

Jan. 12 - Most of us went early to get a BG. Got BG 57 this time. Grandparents and parents with baby were not able to join us that early. Couple with baby arrived at 7:10 and got BG 90. Guest services was able to move them to our boarding group. Was able to get the grandparents a backup group when they arrived later. BG called early afternoon (couple with baby had already left for nap so they missed out on the ride again). The backup boarding group for grandparents was called, but they sacrificed their ride to allow the parents of the baby to ride since they had only made it on a partial ride in 4 attempts. (Grandparents are the best!)

Jan. 14 - Since our plan was to be in HS in the evening. Two of us crazies went to HS to be in for 7 am to get a boarding group. Had to wait too long for a bus so we did not tap in until 7:15. Got a backup boarding group of 127. Felt pretty good about that, though. But it was a bad day for ROTR with lots of down time. While we were at our Mama Melrose's dinner got the notification that they would not get to our group. (They made it to 119, just 8 short!)

Jan. 15 - My brother and I decided to try again this morning. We left on a bus at 6 am. Got boarding group 36. We stayed in HS until our group was called at 8:30. Got a bit into ride and were evacuated. Got a fastpass. Rushed to AK where we the rest of our group was. We missed our planned FOP rope drop but, luckily, we had a FOP fastpass which we did manage to make! Just barely. ROTR re-opened and the 2 of us bused over to ride it around 1 pm. Were glad to get one more ride in before we left on Jan. 16.

Summary: In 10 days, we all got to ride at least once. Almost everyone got to ride twice and a half. My brother and I got to ride 2 partial rides (which together added up to 1 full ride) and 3 full rides. Took lots of effort, several early mornings and some disappointment, but it was all well worth it!
Gosh -- I'm feeling real lucky now, that I got to ride before noon on my first & only try.

I've also been breaking even or better at the Senior Center's weekly bingo for the last few months. Maybe it's time to start buying lottery tickets again?

So this is a question for all of the locals. We will be visiting HS this coming Friday. We will be getting an Uber from Universal. Trying to be at the gate around 6. How is Uber driver availability that early in the morning? Also, is there any traffic we could hit that early in the morning? Thanks!

So this is a question for all of the locals. We will be visiting HS this coming Friday. We will be getting an Uber from Universal. Trying to be at the gate around 6. How is Uber driver availability that early in the morning? Also, is there any traffic we could hit that early in the morning? Thanks!
Not sure about uber's availability but traffic at 6am on I4 should be alright. There are other, internal streets, you can take if there's an accident on the highway

Please let us know how this goes. I might try this if I'm unable to ride RotR on my one DHS day on the Wed of my trip (first week of Feb).

Sayhello

I am confused why you think asking to see the supervisor would have made it worse

i get being annoyed. Totally would be too. But I wouldn’t give up on escalating

Hate to drag this back up but its been a crazy week so this has been my first chance to address the question. Also I think I want your guys oppinion on something.

Quick Recap for those who didn't see the original post last week: Had BG swapped out for a recovery FP due to a tour. Came back to ride down. Recovery FP gone next day and GR gave me a bunch of problems and tried to make me feel bad about being issued part of the standard recovery. For the full story the original post is here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...-2-no-spoilers.3782822/page-189#post-61422734

Theres a few things at play here. 1) I was so upset and tired that elevating on my own didn't come to mind. And 2) The supervisor was involved at least indirectly with the FP being reinstated. GR CM I was talking with went back to talk to their supervisor since they couldn't do anything themselves (which ?_? thats another thing the recovery FP I was issued the day before did not go through a supervisor, or at least not that I'm aware of). So I was being given problems by two different CMs if the CM was being truthful with me.

Now here's the debate I've been having. Part of me has debated calling GR to ask about getting a one day DHS pass that I know they normally issue but I also didn't get because of the snafu. But I'm wondering if that the slip I signed may have rid me of that chance. I wish I had had someone else with me to maybe stop me before I had signed the slip but I was soloing the trip and not in a good happy place when this was all going down. I'm not trying to be greedy or even worse come off as Karen here but I do know thats how they usually do recovery for the ride. and I was given half of it, which I had to fight for to begin with So I'm kind of torn here.

I guess it doesn't matter anyway I have an AP. Don't know if they would be willing to issue a GC similar to that amount since I'm at DL a lot more then World and could put it to use their. Anyway its one of the principles of the matter things I guess.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hate to drag this back up but its been a crazy week so this has been my first chance to address the question. Also I think I want your guys oppinion on something.

Quick Recap for those who didn't see the original post last week: Had BG swapped out for a recovery FP due to a tour. Came back to ride down. Recovery FP gone next day and GR gave me a bunch of problems and tried to make me feel bad about being issued part of the standard recovery. For the full story the original post is here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...-2-no-spoilers.3782822/page-189#post-61422734

Theres a few things at play here. 1) I was so upset and tired that elevating on my own didn't come to mind. And 2) The supervisor was involved at least indirectly with the FP being reinstated. GR CM I was talking with went back to talk to their supervisor since they couldn't do anything themselves (which ?_? thats another thing the recovery FP I was issued the day before did not go through a supervisor, or at least not that I'm aware of). So I was being given problems by two different CMs if the CM was being truthful with me.

Now here's the debate I've been having. Part of me has debated calling GR to ask about getting a one day DHS pass that I know they normally issue but I also didn't get because of the snafu. But I'm wondering if that the slip I signed may have rid me of that chance. I wish I had had someone else with me to maybe stop me before I had signed the slip but I was soloing the trip and not in a good happy place when this was all going down. I'm not trying to be greedy or even worse come off as Karen here but I do know thats how they usually do recovery for the ride. and I was given half of it, which I had to fight for to begin with So I'm kind of torn here.

I guess it doesn't matter anyway I have an AP. Don't know if they would be willing to issue a GC similar to that amount since I'm at DL a lot more then World and could put it to use their. Anyway its one of the principles of the matter things I guess.

Thoughts?
If you have an AP, I wouldn’t ask for a park ticket.

So the Fast Pass they gave you didn’t show up on your account?
After they gave you a Fast Pass you then wanted a comp ticket and you have an annual pass?

1: FP was there the night before. Went talked to two CMs independent of each other was told that the recovery FP would be valid for 1/10. It was gone from the system however when I pulled up my account on 1/10.

2: Okay clarification time. What I wanted was the standard recovery process that they usually issue for the initial boarding groups when the ride goes down like it did that night due to a breakdown (I later found out someone I knew was in the line and she said it took them two hours to get out). I was in 106 prior to the switch over. I was not in a backup group for 1/9.

I didn’t ask for the ticket to begin with. I just wanted to get on the ride and the CM was making me feel quiet frankly demeaned during the entire conversation.

I was more trying to ask about a GC since the ticket wouldn’t be worth anything. And I thought that’s how they handled comp tickets if you’re an AP at times? If it’s not I’ll just drop it.

I’m not trying to demand anything I was just trying to clarify or fix if I hadn’t gotten the normal comp. if that makes any sense.

1: FP was there the night before. Went talked to two CMs independent of each other was told that the recovery FP would be valid for 1/10. It was gone from the system however when I pulled up my account on 1/10.

2: Okay clarification time. What I wanted was the standard recovery process that they usually issue for the initial boarding groups when the ride goes down like it did that night due to a breakdown (I later found out someone I knew was in the line and she said it took them two hours to get out). I was in 106 prior to the switch over. I was not in a backup group for 1/9.

I didn’t ask for the ticket to begin with. I just wanted to get on the ride and the CM was making me feel quiet frankly demeaned during the entire conversation.

I was more trying to ask about a GC since the ticket wouldn’t be worth anything. And I thought that’s how they handled comp tickets if you’re an AP at times? If it’s not I’ll just drop it.

I’m not trying to demand anything I was just trying to clarify or fix if I hadn’t gotten the normal comp. if that makes any sense.

I think Disney was very nice to issue a Fast Pass the first day. I’m sure some people don’t ride because of conflicts.
They did give you a Fast Pass for the next day. You got to ride.
The first day (that you got a Fast Pass for) was your Bg called?
I think you were given fair competition. No need to go any farther.

I think Disney was very nice to issue a Fast Pass the first day. I’m sure some people don’t ride because of conflicts.
They did give you a Fast Pass for the next day. You got to ride.
The first day (that you got a Fast Pass for) was your Bg called?
I think you were given fair competition. No need to go any farther.

They got all the way to 123 before the ride went down a third time so yes it was called. But at the time I left for AK the ride had just gone down for the second time I had no way of knowing when it would be called and I appreciate the way they handled it on Thursday. The main problem was the demeanor of what happened on Friday. Oh and the conflicting info. If I had known that Friday would bring as much problems as it did I would have changed my plans. I would have gone straight to DHS, left my walker at the hotel to begin with, rather then go back to my hotel to shower and nap. But I left ROTR entrance Thursday evening having been assured by two different CMs neither of whom talked to each other, one who checked the FP with their tablet, that I was going to be good for tomorrow.

The whole fiasco nearly took my one chance of riding away. I was in town for the Marathon weekend. I’m an adaptive athlete there was no way I was going to make it to DHS on Saturday and Sunday in time to snag a BG. I am not fast normally on a good day and in the heat of last weekend I was especially not fast. I would rather have been given the correct info so I could correct my plan of action during or after the 10k or come to terms with not riding on my own. But due to the conversations prior I didn’t even know I had to correct the course of action.

Last edited:
Chiming in with my account of yesterday's issues. I have detailed notes b/c I was updating FB as I went as the day spiraled into more and more absurdity.

Jan 15th - In line at the "turnstyles" at 6am, pretty far back in line, but easily tapped in just after 6:30. BG 15, got called at 7:30, rode Rise with no problem, Star Tours, Single Rider MF:SR and Single Rider RnR all by 10:30am.

Jan 17th - Plan : HS in the AM w/ Star Tours and SDD FP+ (also VotLM, but not planning on actually going), hop to Epcot for Festival of the Arts, 11:45 ADR for guaranteed seating at the first Disney on Broadway show.
In line a little later b/c it's my last day and I had to pack the car and empty the room before catching the bus, still tapped in before 6:45am.
BG 38

7am - single rider RnR, standby Star Tours, up to BG 20 - leisurely Breakfast at Docking Bay 7

10am - somewhere around BG 30, meander over to Rise entrance to be ready to board, BGs stall out at 36.
10:45 - murmurings in the crowd around me about the ride being down. I'm so close to the next BG that I figure I should stay around. Plus I'm worried if I head to Epcot, I won't have much notice when it does start to board again, so I might not make it back in 2 hours, especially if I've just been seated at my ADR. I've waited this long, might as well stick it out - call and cancel my 11:45 Coral Reef Disney on Broadway ADR. Pretty sad, but I'll just have to give up some walking around WS time to stand in the standby line for the Disney on Broadway show.

11am - leave my spot by the ride entrance to use SDD FP+, ROTR still down.
Noon - finally get a notification that ROTR is down and my BG will be delayed. Eat lunch at Woody's lunch box, ROTR still down. Eat ice cream, ROTR still down.

1pm - I give up. I'm going to FotA in Epcot. Walk to HS entrance from Toy Story land, ROTR still down. About to board Skyliner, still down.
About to transfer to Epcot Skyliner, still down. Bag check, tap in to Epcot.

1:30 - 10 steps into Epcot, just out of morbid curiosity, check the app again - BG 37! A moment later I get my notification for BG 38. I waited this long, might as well go ride the thing. Turn around, back on the Skyliner, back through bag check, tap in to HS, walk to GE.
2pm - Approach GE. It's down again. It was only running for about 20 minutes. CM says it's usually only down about 45 minutes and it's already been down about 20 at this point. Sat down in Batuu feeling silly and sorry for myself for a while, and typed a fb post about all my first world HS problems.

3pm - boarding again! Hustle over and FINALLY get through the entrance.
3:30 - still waiting in the regular line
3:50 - got pretty close, but them CMs were on the phone. It's down again. We staged a short sit in while they waited to see if it would come back up quickly, but after a bit we were led out the exit and given a FP.

4:30 - GR wants to give me a HS FP+, but I'm sick of HS and I just want to go to FotA and see the Broadway show. Of course it's my last day, but I can't get a one day ticket b/c technically my BG was called. And they can't get me a guaranteed seat at the show b/c I canceled my ADR. They'll book me another ADR (for $67), but it's 4:30, the show is at 5:30 and I've saved 9 snack credits to use at FotA. A dinner ADR is useless, so I declined. GR can't do anything else for me.

5pm - sad and fed up and on my way to exit HS. ROTR is boarding again. I'm a stubborn capricorn, so I head back over.
5:15 - sent through the recovery FP line, but even that line is long. We're all laying bets on if we actually get to ride this time and comparing how many times we've each been through the queue today and asking each other how far we got before we were kicked out.

5:40 - down again after standing in line again. Stand in long line for GR again to see what they're offering this time.

6:20 - GR was a bit more helpful at this point, got a FP, giftcard, and single day ticket so I could attend FotA later (it's my last Disney day, but I'll still be in Orlando for several days for a conference. I can go to FotA in the evening after the conference, but I can't be at HS at 7am and wait for a BG again).

6:20 - 6:40 - clearly don't have time to really see FotA at this point as it would be nearly 7pm by the time I get back to Epcot, so I wait by ROTR entrance, just in case

6:40 - it's up again. A mad, crushing rush of people to get in. We all know it could be mere minutes before it breaks down again.

7:14 - exited ROTR FINALLY having ridden it all the way through (BG 38). Thunderous applause from the ride vehicle. I did see 2 empty vehicles being sent through the ride while we were going through.

7:30 - ice cream, 8pm - fireworks.

Edited to remove any possibility of spoilers

Last edited:
Look it was as easy as getting to the park right at opening, thats the hardest part. I found using the app very easy and fluid. The fairness of the lottery pick I feel like completely random, but I was able to get on the ride around 10am, I had three hours to ride Millennium Falcon and explore Star Wars Land. Once my boarding group time was up, I think I spent 20-25 minutes in line waiting to get on the ride. I planned on being at HS all day so I accepted the fact in the am that I could have to wait for however long to get on my boarding group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter