Real ID: Married Women Beware!

Don’t know if this is what you did but I met someone who hyphenated her name when she got married, her DH also hyphenated his name. They were both John & Mary Jones-Smith. They had children and the children were all Jone-Smith, too.
This is pretty much exactly what we did. We're both men and wanted to have the same last name but it felt weird for either of us to take the other's name and give up their own so we just both took both names. We'd been together for 17 years by the time we got married so people had been calling us the ***-***s forever anyway so we just made it official.

That is nice for you. In PA it is about double regular license renewal:( I chose not to give them anymore money and will just use passport.
They charge for Real ID in Virginia too. I just renewed my license 6 months ago and did not pay the extra to get it. I’ll just use my passport.

They charge for Real ID in Virginia too. I just renewed my license 6 months ago and did not pay the extra to get it. I’ll just use my passport.
I kept on hearing that it would be an additional cost, but in my state it turned out to be the same cost.

There were several parts to Real ID. The first was the security features built into the actual ID cards to make them more difficult to counterfeit. At least here all those features have been implemented for a few years whether or not it's the Real ID compliant version of not. Not sure how that works for other states, but it could be that the additional cost reflect the costs of implementing those features.

The second part is the requirement for verifying legal status, SSN, and address. The latter was kind of odd in my state because someone at DHS gave an OK to the two proofs of address being one document and receipt to the DL at the listed address. Then that became an issue and there was talk about invalidating the Real ID status of DLs where the application didn't include two documents with address verification.

I have to get my marriage license and my divorce decree from my first marriage (I didn't keep either), a new copy of my birth certificate (apparently mine is too worn...papers wear after almost 50 years, sheesh) and my second marriage certificate (which I have). I've been Mrs Bianca And Bernard for 20 years (in August!!) but I still have to prove I'm me. So frustrating.

So you had to pay even more, assuming you had to pay for those copies. And if you don't mind saying, which state.

I'm thinking there are people here who are 70- 80 years old, perhaps married and divorced 40-50 years ago, remarried 30-40 years ago, maybe moved 5 times. And as you, thought marriage is done, who needs these papers.

Last edited:
Anyone in Texas know if when you renew your license, you can do it online and still get a real ID? The info wasn’t clear at all. How much is it to get a real ID? Mine expires in ‘22.

I'm glad I read this thread. Maine is behind the times, of course. As of 7/1/2019, Maine is supposed to be issuing Real ID BUT our current licenses will be valid for federal ID purposes (including flying domestically) until October 2020. My license will need to be renewed in July 2020, so hopefully I can do it all at one time. Fortunately DH and I both have passports, and I know his luck, so when we travel between now and then I think we'll bring the passports anyhow. Saves a lot of headaches when the airport is a 4 hour drive from home, hahaha! Also, add me to the list of those who are thankful they DIDN"T change their name when they got married!! (DD is going through this now and it's a pain, and she's needed several certified copies as different agencies actually KEEP the certified copy on record... grrr... $$$)

OP, I applied for real ID a few months ago. I had SSN cards in both names, maiden and married, and birth certificate. And yes, I had to go home to get our marriage certificate. I've been in DMV's system for 35 continuous years, so there are photo ID's and name changes from a long time ago. I assumed the real ID fell under some type of extra federal rules. Anyway, very nice of you to give folks a heads up.

I didn't realize that so many people changed their name in one sense but not the other. When I got married one of the first things we did after getting back into town was to both go and have our social security, passports and IDs changed. I have securities licenses and my employer was very insistent that any name change had to be complete and immediate to avoid me conducting business for even a moment under a name that wasn't legally mine. There were cards and placards and the like in the new name waiting for me when I got back from the wedding trip. They even re-etched the glass in my office while I was away.:D

On a side note I wonder if I'm the only man in the thread who changed his name when he got married...
My BIL (my sister's husband) did.

Anyone in Texas know if when you renew your license, you can do it online and still get a real ID? The info wasn’t clear at all. How much is it to get a real ID? Mine expires in ‘22.
Federal Real ID requirements include an in person visit to present the original documents. I looked at the Texas DPS website, and you're right that they don't explain the requirements very well.

If your DL has a gold star on the corner then they already have verification all the Real ID required documents on file. I think Texas has been doing this for a while. If not you'll need to make an appointment to present them.

DLlg.jpg

Once someone has a Real ID verified DL or ID, it can be renewed as a Real ID compliant document indefinitely.

The info is all posted here: https://txservice.org/drivers-licen...s&edw_id=805d3809-257b-42df-89c8-74c8aff91da9

The fees are here, though it does not specify "Real ID" - I assume it costs the same as a drivers license renewal, but I could very well be wrong:
https://www.dmv.com/tx/texas/drivers-license-renewal?edw_id=805d3809-257b-42df-89c8-74c8aff91da9

The official Texas websites do a lousy job of explaining this. When you check on their page on renewing DLs, there is nothing said about Real ID.

My Social Security card & passport have my name as First Middle Maiden Last. My drivers license has Frist Maiden Last because the person doing my documents 20 years ago said you can't have 2 middle names. I had no problem getting a Real ID in March. Brought all the documents and they were fine. I was specifically told that they could not update it to match my other IDs because that wasn't the way they had it listed in their system, and 2 weeks later I got the ID with the star on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter