• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Realistically, when do think Disney will no longer require masks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see mask requirements going away any time soon. I believe social distancing will be amended and then removed way before masks. They can increase capacity with distancing and masks, where if they removed them, I believe capacity limits would remain in place much longer. I believe Disney will be cautious, both for PR and liability reasons, and I would not expect them to change their stance on masks until:

1. The CDC says it’s OK for people to mingle freely without masks
2. Universal and Sea World have done so, with enough time to prove it’s not a problem
3. All states have lowered the vaccine age limits to the minimum allowed and at least ten weeks has passed in the last state to do so, to allow for time to get everyone their first and second shots along with the time after the second shot for full effectiveness. Since WDW is an international destination, they may also take that into consideration as well.

I would be surprised if masks were no longer required before fall 2021. I think it is much more likely to occur early 2022, barring any widespread variant infections. Do I wish they would go away sooner? Of course. But realistically, all it would take is one verified report of someone catching Covid at Disney and it would be a PR disaster they wouldn’t recover from for years. So I don’t blame them for taking their time.

I am not sure the CDC will actually have that much control over Disney—although I agree the way they lean, they will likely be one of the last to drop it. The State of Florida does not have a mask mandate, but the county Disney is located in does require them at this time. Although it may be a
Long shot for summer, I suspect once they get more vaccinated people, spring break (and I anticipate we will see a bit of surge following spring break), and Disneyland (finally) gets to reopen—there is hope things will relax in Florida by the end of summer. We currently have multiple trips booked, lol—late summer being the first. I suspect once Universal drops that mask mandate Disney will come around real quick. 😂

The CDC isn’t controlling Disney at all. Disney is following mask guidelines set by the CDC. Disney will not go against the CDC guidelines & recommendations regarding masks. When the CDC lifts mask wearing in public, Disney will lift mask wearing in public.

When it happens will depend on the numbers. With kids under 16 unable to be vaccinated, it’s really up to adults to get their shots and stop this thing from spreading like wildfire. And drive those numbers down. The CDC will lift the public mask recommendations when the numbers justify it. The numbers will only fall low enough when enough adults get vaccinated. Until then? Masks.

My overly optimistic guess is that masks will be required through the summer and lifted in fall. Realistically, I think we are looking at masks in public until the end of the year. I’m concerned about the number of people choosing to not get the vaccine.

The ticket out of this is sitting right in front of us. Just have to hope that the adults who can get the shot do their part and get it when they are eligible.

Last edited:

Even if the CDC does drop mask guidance; I would suspect they still recommend them in highly congregate settings (concerts, theme parks, ext) for a long time to come. You also have to consider that the risk if encountering someone at Disney who is international, from a country who does not have a vaccination rate as high as the U.S.

I would suspect they do away with the social distancing but maintain the masks through mid to late 2022 since it greatly increases the amount of capacity they can have with minimal risk. Anything to shove more people in lines, stores, ext.

I would venture to guess that Universal will remove mask requirements first; but Disney will likely play the "Delta" game and ride the high-horse of a "safer, more family friendly theme-park experience". Delta is still blocking middle seats, months after other carriers stopped, are charging a significant premium, and are the only airline who are close to profitability on an average flight.

If Disney can charge a premium to market a "safer" experience to the people who want to enjoy it and feel they can make up the difference that way - I don't doubt that'll be the tact they take.

I remember hearing mask requirements were negotiated with the unions representing CMs before reopening in order to protect the health of employees. However I have not read any other details. But if this is true, if & when masks will go away will depend on what those union agreements specify. Those agreements might require masks for a specific amount of time or until the % of cases reaches a certain number or be dependent on CDC recommendations. Or they might need to be renegotiated before mask requirements can be dropped. This could be a big piece of the puzzle.

I remember hearing mask requirements were negotiated with the unions representing CMs before reopening in order to protect the health of employees. However I have not read any other details. But if this is true, if & when masks will go away will depend on what those union agreements specify. Those agreements might require masks for a specific amount of time or until the % of cases reaches a certain number or be dependent on CDC recommendations. Or they might need to be renegotiated before mask requirements can be dropped. This could be a big piece of the puzzle.
That is true. Disney would have to get the unions’ buy in on getting rid of masks.

I would love to plan a summer trip, but I just can't bring myself to do so while mask wearing is still required. It sounds miserable to me (and I do have to wear one all day at work--it is the first thing I pull off when I leave even inside where it isn't hot and humid). My husband and I will be fully vaccinated soon and we are so over the masks. I work in a school schedule and the first week of August is my last week I could possibly travel before school starts--next opportunity isn't until Christmas--when its super crowded and expensive. Do you guys think Disney will let go of mask wearing by June/July?
It’s a coin toss. No one who says they know for sure can point to any data to support their claim. This has never happened before. We might all be surprised. With that, it sounds like you do not want to go if we will need to wear masks. I am the same. I am waiting until January 2022 so that I do not have to have that worry.

I don't know why people keep asking this, Bob Chapek has publicly stated that he expects the mask policy to remain in place throughout 2021 and *hopefully* ease up in 2022

a vaccination is not a magic cure all to making this pandemic go away, yes it will sure help but no one has any idea on the long term efficacy of the vaccine or how well it works against all of the emerging variants.

I would love to plan a summer trip, but I just can't bring myself to do so while mask wearing is still required. It sounds miserable to me (and I do have to wear one all day at work--it is the first thing I pull off when I leave even inside where it isn't hot and humid). My husband and I will be fully vaccinated soon and we are so over the masks. I work in a school schedule and the first week of August is my last week I could possibly travel before school starts--next opportunity isn't until Christmas--when its super crowded and expensive. Do you guys think Disney will let go of mask wearing by June/July?

Not a chance. It has already been said that masks will be here through the end of the year, possibly into early 2022.

I don't know why people keep asking this, Bob Chapek has publicly stated that he expects the mask policy to remain in place throughout 2021 and *hopefully* ease up in 2022

a vaccination is not a magic cure all to making this pandemic go away, yes it will sure help but no one has any idea on the long term efficacy of the vaccine or how well it works against all of the emerging variants.

He also said it could change based on how cases are and how vaccinations are going. Its coming sooner than later IMO, I agree probably not for summer but by end of year I am very optimistic on.

I'm not sure. If enough adults get vaccinated and the transmission rates drop significantly we could see some easing by this summer. Kids won't be eligible to receive the vaccine until at least next fall though so who knows. We could see them in places like theme parks and ball parks and other high density places much longer than we want.

When more places start dropping the mask mandate Disney will, too, but it won't be this summer. We personally changed our trip from June to November. I don't mind masks but masks in the summer are truly terrible. I already deal with it at home in Texas....no thanks to on vacation as well!

I'm not sure. If enough adults get vaccinated and the transmission rates drop significantly we could see some easing by this summer. Kids won't be eligible to receive the vaccine until at least next fall though so who knows. We could see them in places like theme parks and ball parks and other high density places much longer than we want.

When more places start dropping the mask mandate Disney will, too, but it won't be this summer. We personally changed our trip from June to November. I don't mind masks but masks in the summer are truly terrible. I already deal with it at home in Texas....no thanks to on vacation as well!

The bigger key is their employees, once they have the option and ability to fully vaccinated things will change, because after that it's gonna come down to personal responsibility for guests, it will be thier decision if they are comfortable going or not. Kids are only a small factor and very low risk to have a severe case as is and those with high risk kids will make their own decisions. There are many areas where kids are in large groups even now maskless and hasn't been a huge issue.

I have heard this too....although I wonder at what point once the union members have the opportunity to be vaccinated they will get away from this? In my own work environment (essential employees and we have a union) I greatly noticed a huge change in attitudes to the mask once we got fully vaccinated. Yes, the majority wanted this protection to come to work during non-vaccinated times, but once we were given the opportunity to get vaccinated--and most of my coworkers overwhelmingly chose to get vaccinated if they could (many couldn't because they had recently had COVID and the CDC recommended you wait 90 days at that time anyway) I noticed a LOT of relaxing about it afterwards (which I suspect is likely contributing to why we are seeing a spike in case numbers now--too many people get the first shot and "let the guard down". The bottom line, the vast majority of us who have to wear masks while working realize it is so uncomfortable, we have to enforce the customer to wear a mask--and that gets miserable too....I must say at least 50 times a day "please put your mask on", ha ha...and just seeing the headlines (cast members being spit on, hit, yelled at, etc.) for enforcing the mask policy, I would wonder if their unions will continue to want this once their union members are offered protection via vaccine--not sure if that is available to them yet (i.e. how quickly Florida residents are getting it).

I do wonder though how much it hurts Disney's bottom line (i.e. people like myself who keep canceling and rebooking trips due to the COVID changes/lack of opportunities) for having the mask wearing too. As amusement parks around the country open--Dollywood, Six Flags, etc. in places that might no longer have mask mandates it will be interesting to see the "trend" if those parks will require them or not. From what I understand, it isn't like Disney is able to fully sell out most days right now--even with limited capacity (exception being spring breaks, Christmas, etc.)...so clearly many more visitors could be coming and are not (be it COVID restrictions or other reasons). I have been told Universal has almost all their offerings back open at this point (fireworks, etc.) not sure if that is true though.

The bigger key is their employees, once they have the option and ability to fully vaccinated things will change, because after that it's gonna come down to personal responsibility for guests, it will be thier decision if they are comfortable going or not. Kids are only a small factor and very low risk to have a severe case as is and those with high risk kids will make their own decisions. There are many areas where kids are in large groups even now maskless and hasn't been a huge issue.
This is very true--we can enforce the masks in school, but you watch the kids going to their cars after, in groups, and the masks come off, sports, play dates, slumber parties, out of school travel (and in some cases the families that chose to go "virtual" are doing more traveling than the ones who chose "in person" school--and virtual or in person each school district in our state is still required to report total number of cases--and in many cases those who don't come to school are the ones contributing to our highest number of cases. Bottom line, the vast majority of us have pandemic/mask fatigue...it is getting exhausting and will continue to get exhausting as the weather warms, spring fever is in the air, etc.

This is very true--we can enforce the masks in school, but you watch the kids going to their cars after, in groups, and the masks come off, sports, play dates, slumber parties, out of school travel (and in some cases the families that chose to go "virtual" are doing more traveling than the ones who chose "in person" school--and virtual or in person each school district in our state is still required to report total number of cases--and in many cases those who don't come to school are the ones contributing to our highest number of cases. Bottom line, the vast majority of us have pandemic/mask fatigue...it is getting exhausting and will continue to get exhausting as the weather warms, spring fever is in the air, etc.
I think the fact most under 12 will not be up for vaccines until early 2022 will keep the mask requirement in place at Disney. We live in FL and my kids have worn masks to school daily since Aug 15 when school started. I have a feeling school will require it when school starts again in August until they are all eligible for vaccines. Having said that, the only way I see that changing is if for the positivity rates drops below 2% but do not see that happening until later in the fall. I still feel Disney will not be the first to drop their mask mandate until others do as many other posters have stated. Short answer to your question, masks will still be required this summer at Disney imo.

Masks are only 3rd and up in my county for schools and even then many teachers give masks breaks or just don't strictly enforce when they slip. Neighboring county does the plexi glass at desks so then they remove, another county near buy has no mask requirement for students only teachers.

But yes many kids are socializing like normal with no masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter