Reasons to buy VGF

Would you have bought VGF points direct if you only had access to resort studios at 11 months?

• Yes, we bought to stay mainly in resort studios

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • No, since we wanted home resort advantage for original building.

Votes: 54 69.2%
  • Yes, because we plan to use them more as sleep around points and have access to all.

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
That said, I wonder why they didn't just call them "Hotel Rooms" like they do at Aulani. At least there they are honest...
I think it’s because they were rooms converted from the Grand Floridian Resort, not Hotel, and they’re the same as the regular resort rooms with the exception of the microwave. And I doubt that DVD saw any reason to be consistent with Aulani, even though DVC acquired those hotel rooms in similar fashion (they were given to DVC in exchange for some villas that were converted to a restaurant or something else for general use).

ETA - https://dvcnews.com/other-resorts/aulani-villas/2493-aulani-hotel-room-now-available-for-booking

Thanks for playing. It certainly does seem that many here on the DIS would have made a different decision if they had tried to sell BPK as it own resort.

I bought for 1 or 2 bedrooms. I will not book the resort studios, nor would I have bought if the new release was its own association. I do fear the availability squeeze on the old rooms.

Bought mainly for a studio stay of approximately 3 nights as part of a split stay with the BWV. We don't care whether we get a resort studio or a deluxe studio. We wanted to be within walking distance of the MK, I love the VGF, and the direct price was acceptable. (Can't believe I said that, LOL. I've had sticker shock for the last 20 years as we paid $65pp for BWV in 1999). Resale prices for 50-100 VGF contracts were ridiculous. :teeth:

Same, same - literally on every single one of your points! 😄

Late to this party but we bought for the resort studios. Just stayed in one, love the decorating scheme, the layout works pretty well for us as our kids reach the age where they complain about food our couches, and it’s pretty convenient to the beach pool, the lobby/monorail, and the boat launch. We don’t spend much time in our rooms at WDW. I liked staying there so much we decided to add 150VGF direct a few days after we got home.

Absolutely hate the hotel rooms, but I am glad that there are some for people that like them. For us, we prefer the original studios over the hotel rooms. I wish they had changed up BPK instead of just making them all hotel rooms.

That said, I wonder why they didn't just call them "Hotel Rooms" like they do at Aulani. At least there they are honest...
Exactly. What in the name of Roy O. Disney is a "Resort Studio" lol. I'm pretty neutral on the room itself but call it what it is. Maybe I'm just getting more cynical in my (relatively) old age, but man some of the marketing aka gaslighting they've engaged in the last few years makes me roll my eyes like never before.

We bought a 150 pt direct contract in June 2023 due to all the current incentives for existing owners (have one prior resale 150 pt BLT contract), it was admittedly somewhat of an impulse purchase but thought we'd get use out of it and were able to add my two adult kids names so they can get perks as well. Would likely NOT have made the purchase if we were limited to the resort studios at 11 mths. While they look beautiful and I'm sure we will try them sometime, the horror stories about noise issues is a real deal breaker for me. I do feel for original VGF owners as they did kind of get a raw deal on this without any say. I'm happy to have gotten a blue card for a reasonable (in 2023 terms) price. Also like the option of trying the new resorts that we had been blocked from. Would have preferred an Epcot resort in lieu of my two MK ones, but I'm sure I will like them as well (still haven't stayed in a MK resort since getting these contracts). I think VGF will hold its value and if we were to sell one it would likely be the BLT. But in the meantime its fun planning future trips for myself and family.
Can you explain why original VGF owners got a raw deal? I am trying to understand the difference between the 2. Thanks

Can you explain why original VGF owners got a raw deal? I am trying to understand the difference between the 2. Thanks
Original VGF owners bought into a resort with the following room type distribution:

• 0x dedicated Deluxe Studios
  • 0x dedicated 1-Bedrooms
  • 47x 2-Bedroom Lock-offs (which can be split into Deluxe Studios and 1 Bedrooms)
  • 47x dedicated 2-Bedrooms
  • 6x Grand Villas
This was a small resort, 100-147 rooms (depending on lock-off splitting) at ~2.5mil points.

Where the raw deal comes in is that ~1.8mil points and 200 rooms were added that significantly changed the balance/distribution:

Added:
  • 200x dedicated Resort Studios
Combined:
  • 47x 2-Bedroom Lock-offs (which can be split into Deluxe Studios and 1 Bedrooms)
  • 6x Grand Villas

Original owners bought VGF without any Resort Studios, and were presumably happy with what they bought, and now the majority of the resort (by room count) is Resort Studios.

They could just ignore the Resort Studios, but where this negatively impacts them is that new buyers aren't blocked from the original rooms, so now there is more booking competition for the original rooms (based on booking patterns since VGF2 went on sale and the results of this poll).

Original VGF owners bought into a resort with the following room type distribution:

• 6x Grand Villas
This was a small resort, 100-147 rooms (depending on lock-off splitting) at ~2.5mil points.

Where the raw deal comes in is that ~1.8mil points and 200 rooms were added that significantly changed the balance/distribution:

Added:
Combined:
  • 6x Grand Villas

Original owners bought VGF without any Resort Studios, and were presumably happy with what they bought, and now the majority of the resort (by room count) is Resort Studios.

They could just ignore the Resort Studios, but where this negatively impacts them is that new buyers aren't blocked from the original rooms, so now there is more booking competition for the original rooms (based on booking patterns since VGF2 went on sale and the results of this poll).
I thought I’d seen posts around here that availability for the 1bed was about the same after the addition of BPK (don’t remember 2bed either way). It’s at least conceivable that many people who bought VGF1 wanted the location/resort but would actually prefer smaller rooms and fewer points.

I thought I’d seen posts around here that availability for the 1bed was about the same after the addition of BPK (don’t remember 2bed either way). It’s at least conceivable that many people who bought VGF1 wanted the location/resort but would actually prefer smaller rooms and fewer points.
My experience for booking larger units at the 7 month window…what I always did with my SSR points…would have been tough this year when trying, I was glad that I owned. gf and had the rooms booked.

Based on the poll here, most people would not have bought VGF had BPK been it’s own resort and not given them access to the original buildings during the home resort period.

So, while I am sure some don’t mind the resort rooms, home resort priority to the original rooms definitely played a role in people adding on VGF points.

Lots of non-VGF owners love to say how easy it is to secure a 1-bedroom since VGF requires a lot of points. Ask anyone traveling in December to VGF when it's the prettiest resort on property and you will find you need VGF points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter