• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recent additions - comments

larworth

DIS Veteran
While we’re all waiting for any hint of new news, just thought I’d give you my observations on some of the recent additions we have debated here recently, for what they are worth (was there last week).

BAH – As a stand-alone work I like the hat. I was expecting a little more from the special paint job (I didn’t see any unique coloring effect), and I thought they could have done a little more with special lighting than the twinkles at night, but still cool. It obviously doesn’t fit in with the surroundings at all, and it really needs to have been set-back more (if there was room). When you enter the park it is a little too visually dominate.

Walt Exhibit – Like others have said there is no aire of commercialization here. I thought some of the exhibits were very interesting. Walt’s office does nothing for me, and the models weren’t quite as cool as I had anticipated, but the film was excellent. There was a good round of applause at the end and the place was packed.

Millionaire - Closed earlier than we had expected to set-up for this week's Regis and Kelly live so we did not get to try it. The kids were bummed.

Aladdin – Again as a stand-alone it is well themed. However, I found that the Agrabah addition really adds to the hodge-podge feeling of Adventureland. How many themes are there now? The single spitting Camel was essentially useless as an effect. Maybe we had a bad carpet, but the tilting effect was also weak.

Parades – We didn’t catch the AK one. Thought both the MK and MGM parades were fine. Still enjoyed ToD best of the three.

Banners – The lighted banners at night were a nice addition. They seemed to standout more at EPCOT and MGM than the MK. However, due to their size and color you can easily miss them during the day.

Triceratops Spin – Even though there was no line the kids passed on a ride. Looked to be a notch below Aladdin.

DinoRama – Be prepared when you pass through the archway as the contrast is startling. The juxtaposition of the existing scientific, archeological style theme with the bright multi-colors is severe. If there was a transition walkway that visually separated the two it would be much better. As a mini-land off on it’s own it could be quite charming as a themed area. Only saw the carnival games from afar, but saw no special touches here. Not enough progress yet on the Whirl for me to see how it will be themed. However, there is nothing to indicate that it will not be on the modest side.

I know this isn’t something new, but I came away from the AK wanting more animal interactions (outside of the Safari). Just seems they tried too hard to make it be real to the detriment of the experience. The walks need more animal encounters and more creative viewing options (perches, windows…) to go with the great surroundings.

BTW, the parks seemed to be in excellant condition, everyone was friendly, the crowds were light except on Saturday (when they should stay open past 8 pm!), and the weather was perfect. I also wasn't thrilled how they handled the park openings, but with light crowds it was less a factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter