Recommend building at SSR for family of 8?

5starmom

...now new and improved with SIX stars!
Hi! We were booked at BCV earlier this year, but when free dining came out only SSR or OKW were available and so we switched. At first I was a little bummed, BUT the more I read about SSR--which was my 2nd choice anyhow--the more excited I get!!

Would you recommend the Grandstand area, Springs or Congress Park for us? We have 6 children, ages 1, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 13 and want to use the main pool a lot, but also would love to check out the Grandstand area for movies at night and a change of pace!

Although I'd love a nice view and not too far to walk to DTD, those aren't a priority.

Thanks for any recommendations and tips you can give! This is our first family trip to WDW and love all the firsthand info from everyone here to help in our planning. :wizard:

Oh! Can you tell me the age limit, if any, for using the fitness room? Thanks!

Would you recommend the Grandstand area, Springs or Congress Park for us? We have 6 children, ages 1, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 13 and want to use the main pool a lot, but also would love to check out the Grandstand area for movies at night and a change of pace!

Although I'd love a nice view and not too far to walk to DTD, those aren't a priority.

Thanks for any recommendations and tips you can give! This is our first family trip to WDW and love all the firsthand info from everyone here to help in our planning. :wizard:

Welcome, fellow parent of a giant family! :goodvibes We have 7 kids, ages 14, 11, 9, 7, 4, 2, and 4 months, so I understand the difficulties in planning with a huge brood!

We've stayed in the Congress Park section when it's just DH and me, which was my favorite for the view, and the quick, eazy walk over to Downtown Disney. When we have all the kids with us, though, there's no comparison to the Springs. We just got back from a stay in building 32 (I think)--it's the building with the models in it, and it was perfect. Our older kids were able go down to the activities at the community hall by themselves, which was a huge plus for them. They also unanimously agree that the High Rock Springs pool is awesome and the Grandstand pool is a total dud. So closer to the "good" pool was great for us.

I didn't know there was an age limit for using the fitness room. Our 11 year old daughter went down with me to run on the treadmills every morning. I hope we weren't doing anything "illegal!" They just asked for my room key at the check in desk.

One thing I highly recommend is getting an Owner's Locker. There's a link at the top of this board. I have a bunch of other tips for big families at WDW; if you want them PM me.

Good luck!

I think the movies are at the main pool. I think with all those kids I would request Springs and Grandstand as a 2nd choice. You will really get your $$$ worth getting free dining for your big family! Enjoy!!!

Hi! We were booked at BCV earlier this year, but when free dining came out only SSR or OKW were available and so we switched. At first I was a little bummed, BUT the more I read about SSR--which was my 2nd choice anyhow--the more excited I get!!

How are you getting free dining as a DVC member??? Just curious. I thought it was not an option for us us dvc people.

How are you getting free dining as a DVC member??? Just curious. I thought it was not an option for us us dvc people.

I don't believe the OP said they were booking with DVC points. You can book any of the DVC resorts with cash and get free dining if available.

Oh ..hmmmm I didn't get that at all when I read it. It was sorta vague to me. Thanks.

DVC members can book free dining just as any Disney guest, by buying the package and paying rack rate and purchasing at least one ticket per group member. Members can not get free dining while staying on points.

DVC members can book free dining just as any Disney guest, by buying the package and paying rack rate and purchasing at least one ticket per group member. Members can not get free dining while staying on points.

Oh yeah I knew that......but I have not been on in a few weeks and when I read her post I thought something had changed for DVC members because she never mentioned she had paid rack room in the post above. Thanks again.

Oh yeah I knew that......but I have not been on in a few weeks and when I read her post I thought something had changed for DVC members because she never mentioned she had paid rack room in the post above. Thanks again.

Nope, nothing changed, and I don't imagine it ever will. We were lucky to get it without a ticket restriction and point usage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter