• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recommendations for Totorla and St. Thomas Excursions

gregf71

Mouseketeer
Our booking window opens in about 3 weeks for our eastern Caribbean cruise. We've never been to either location below. Any recommendations on excursions?

I love the beaches of St John, so I enjoyed the Beach excursion to Trunk Bay from St Thomas. My extended family enjoyed the Catamaran Snorkel from St Thomas (again to St John).

On St Thomas, I would recommend Magen’s Bay for first time visitors. It’s a large, sheltered bay with calm water, concessions and a bar, bath houses, loungers and umbrellas. About 1-1.5 miles wide. For a simpler, less busy beach, Secret Sands (Lindquist Bay) beach is lovely. No concessions, but bath houses.

Tortola - again, my extended family went to The Baths. But Lots of reports you can do it as a DIY a much better price (and more control over your time in the water). We went to Jost Van Dyke this fall. Some love it; I would look at Cane Garden Beach next time for more time at the beach and less time in transport.

I’m going on the Fantasy EC on 3/2, so I’ll post about my excursions!

Although I’d booked private shore excursions, I think I’m going to end up doing DCL both for Tortola and St. Thomas (St John -for me) for various reasons.

My DCL excursions are Jost Van Dyke and the Trunk Bay Getaway. I’d still love to do the Jeep tour I have booked on St John (would definitely spend time at Trunk Bay), but I’ll be honest, back to the ship on time worries me

No matter what excursion you choose, I think it will be wonderful

Just did the baths excursion. We loved it. It was one of our most favorite days.

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 18

I’m attaching the second review I wrote for Day Trips BVI below. Not sure if you’re open to non-Disney excursions (or if they’d have availability), but we’ve loved both trips with them on our Tortola days. Figured someone may find the suggestion useful! You do have to take a taxi to meet them at the dock, but that is easy to arrange at the port.

Check out this review of Island Boat Tour in and around the stunning waters of the British Virgin Islands on Tripadvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...ning_waters_of_the_British_Virgin_Island.html

Our booking window opens in about 3 weeks for our eastern Caribbean cruise. We've never been to either location below. Any recommendations on excursions?
If you're adventurous, I recommend the ziplining excursion in Tortola (I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I've done it twice and really enjoyed it).

If you're adventurous, I recommend the ziplining excursion in Tortola (I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I've done it twice and really enjoyed it).
Actually, we are considering the zip-lining in Tortola. I asked in a separate post about it specifically. I will ask that question here now...for the zip-lining, do they provide lockers to securely hold personal belongings?

Actually, we are considering the zip-lining in Tortola. I asked in a separate post about it specifically. I will ask that question here now...for the zip-lining, do they provide lockers to securely hold personal belongings?
Just saw your response on the other thread about zip-lining and lockers. Thank you!!!!

I did Island Drive and Beach Break (TT11) In Tortola. You get in vehicles sort like the trucks on Safari ride at AK drive a loop around the island. It stops at Cane Garden Bay for about 90 minutes. Then goes back to pier. You get a ticket for a bottle of water at the beach and your beach chair was included.

Attachments

• IMG_6755.jpeg
    IMG_6755.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6763.jpeg
    IMG_6763.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 15
I did Island Drive and Beach Break (TT11) In Tortola. You get in vehicles sort like the trucks on Safari ride at AK drive a loop around the island. It stops at Cane Garden Bay for about 90 minutes. Then goes back to pier. You get a ticket for a bottle of water at the beach and your beach chair was included.
Thanks for that suggestion. That’s the right amount of beach time for me - and no haggling for a taxi or chair.

You get a ticket for a bottle of water at the beach and your beach chair was included.

We did this excursion in May 2023 and enjoyed it. However, chairs were not included. We were told they were $5 each, but we didn't end up getting any. I was in the water the whole time and DH prefers to walk anyway.

I’m going on the Fantasy EC on 3/2, so I’ll post about my excursions!

Although I’d booked private shore excursions, I think I’m going to end up doing DCL both for Tortola and St. Thomas (St John -for me) for various reasons.

My DCL excursions are Jost Van Dyke and the Trunk Bay Getaway. I’d still love to do the Jeep tour I have booked on St John (would definitely spend time at Trunk Bay), but I’ll be honest, back to the ship on time worries me

No matter what excursion you choose, I think it will be wonderful
Please do review your excursions. All of ours were cancelled, so we rebooked for Sept.

We did this excursion in May 2023 and enjoyed it. However, chairs were not included. We were told they were $5 each, but we didn't end up getting any. I was in the water the whole time and DH prefers to walk anyway.
I did it November 2023, chair included umbrella was extra. Just looked any DCL website- says chair included

Cancelled ? Why? When we’re you supposed to go?
Weather. It was a weird weather week for this time of year. It was Feb 3-10. Even Castaway was abnormally cool - both guests and CMs agreed. It was just a weird off chance thing.

ETA: I just realized it might have come off weird. We were on the cruise when they had to cancel excursions. Not that they cancelled prior to the cruise date. And we just went ahead and booked another for the same route. Hope that makes sense.

Weather. It was a weird weather week for this time of year. It was Feb 3-10. Even Castaway was abnormally cool - both guests and CMs agreed. It was just a weird off chance thing.

ETA: I just realized it might have come off weird. We were on the cruise when they had to cancel excursions. Not that they cancelled prior to the cruise date. And we just went ahead and booked another for the same route. Hope that makes sense.

It does, but I don’t think there’s anything I can do…hopefully I’ll have better weather…

I hope you had a great time, though - that sucks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter