Redeeming points from Visa for 1st time??

las3888

DIS Veteran
I wasn't sure what board to post this on, so thought I would put it here. I would like to order the Disney Rewards card and transfer my dream dollars from my Disney Visa for the first time. Can anybody relate to me their experiences in doing this? Do you just order the card and once it comes, can you go online and transfer the points? How long does it take to get the card? How about to transfer the points? Are you able to just swipe it anywhere at WDW (i.e. counter service, gift shops, etc?). We are leaving in 1 month and I am just realizing now would be the time to get going on this! I would like to hear other's experiences who have done this so far. Thanks!

Also, it says that there will be an expiration date on the Disney Rewards card...how far out is this exp. date typically?

I am interested in this too. I have over 100 points and I am going to us them to buy my DD pass. Any info would be great.

Here is a great response I got on using my rewards for the first time. I got my first card in the mail within a week and the expiration on it is 12/05. I just got it last week.

You can request your card by going to the Bank One Website .

Log onto your account or register if you've never been there before.

From the Account Summary page, click on the first drop-down box and select "Manage Rewards". Click "GO".

Click the "Review Rewards Balance" button at the bottom of the next screen. A new window should open up.

From the drop-down box in the new screen, select "Order Rewards Items".

Click the "Add to Cart" button next to the Disney Rewards Card Logo. A the screen will change.

You can then transfer any amount of rewards dollars over $20 to the card by typing the amount into the empty box next to "Amount". Do not enter any decimals. If you have more than one Disney Rewards VISA accounts, they may both be visible in the drop-down box above the "amount" box. Select one account.

Click the "Add to Cart" button.

Make sure that the information that you have entered is correct. Click the "Checkout" button.

You can also call Cardmember Services at 1-800-436-7999 and have them do it over the phone.

The rewards card look like a gift card and does not bear a VISA logo. It works the same way a gift card does. It can only be used in WDW, DCL, DL and Disney Stores, Disney catalogue orders and disneystore.com.

Once reward dollars are transferred to your rewards card, the reward dollars are good until the expiration date on the card.

Rewards cards, and the reward dollars remaining on them, expire December 31st of the year after the year when the card was first ordered. So, a card ordered October 1, 2003, will expire on December 31,2004. A card ordered January 1, 2004, will expire on December 2005. When the card expires, any remaining reward dollars on the card will be gone.

At the time that I ordered mine (3/3/04), they stated that it took 7 business days to ship. The final order page said the shipping date would be 3/5 and estimated delivery date was 3/12. It arrived on 3/12. Rush shipping (3 business days instead of 7) is also available for a fee.

This is what I did during our trip last week. I had both the certificates - what they awarded in the beginning - and points on my card. Instead of having to deal with it every time I bought something, I asked during check-in (at the Contemporary) if I could use my reward points to pay-down the balance on our charge. That charge was the one we accumulated on our room key-charge. Worked great - only had to do it once and not worry about it anymore. We had several hundred $$$$ so that worked out well. :)

Jill

You can log on to the Disney visa website to receive your card. Once you receive the card, you can transfer points to it. If the web gives you fits, there is a phone number to call. Using the card is really easy! It's like a credit card. Some of the places I had to sign off on it. Other places, I didn't have to sign. I thought of it like a gift card from Wal-mart. They do take them everywhere.

Marie

Thanks so much. So if I ordered mine today the dollars would be good until Dec. 2004, right?
What if I did it today and racked up more dollars before I buy the pass. Can I add more to the card? EX: I have $100 now. Say in 2 months I decide to buy DD's pass and have anonther $40 earned, can I add that to what I have so I would have $140 on the card?
Soory to hijack the post. I was just going to this myself.

You can log on to the Disney visa website to receive your card. Once you receive the card, you can transfer points to it.

Sounds like I can just order the card today and not transfer the points just yet? At least I will have the card in hand. If I do this, how long does it take to transfer the points online? I would imagine this would be fairly automatic, but I want to allow enough time.

No problem! Glad to know there are others out there trying to figure this out too...

No problem! Glad to know there are others out there trying to figure this out too... [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am a dunce with things like this and I was glad you asked the question. I want to get it right.

Well, I just went online and tried to order just the card, but you do need to put a minimum transfer of 20 points in. Just not sure if I decided to transfer more $ before we go, how long to expect it to hit the account.

Thanks all for your help!

Originally posted by SamanthaL
Thanks so much. So if I ordered mine today the dollars would be good until Dec. 2004, right?
What if I did it today and racked up more dollars before I buy the pass. Can I add more to the card? EX: I have $100 now. Say in 2 months I decide to buy DD's pass and have anonther $40 earned, can I add that to what I have so I would have $140 on the card?

The points that have been transferred to the card will be good through 2005 .

And yes, you can transfer more rewards to the card later but they will all expire when the card expires.

Originally posted by crazyforgoofy
The points that have been transferred to the card will be good through 2005 .

And yes, you can transfer more rewards to the card later but they will all expire when the card expires.

So what you are saying is that after 2005 I would throw away the old card and send for a new card altogether right?

Since your leaving in a month why not just pick up your reward card at DTD guest services. They have phones right there for you to call Bank One to have your points transferred. They do it right away. When we did this the whole process took 10-15 minutes and we went straight to CP for lunch and used our reward dollars.

I agree with 4greatboys...do it at DTD guest services! They give you the card, and there's a phone right there for you to call to get the points transferred. Super easy and quick!!

Hi all-
If I want to use the points I have transfered to my card, can I use the card to buy hopper tickets on the Disney website? Is there a way to use the card without it pysically being at the point of sale to "swipe"?
Thanks
Jill

Originally posted by SamanthaL
So what you are saying is that after 2005 I would throw away the old card and send for a new card altogether right?

There is no expiration date on the card itself. They just keep track of the points on the website and their expiration dates. You keep the card, you just keep "reloading" it. I got the card about a couple of months ago, I transferred 31 points on it when I got it and transferred another 19 last month. So I had 50 points, I used them all last week at WDW. It's very easy to use, they treat it like a credit card and your sales slip has the updated points balance on it.

I just got my card, it arrived in less then a week.

Got card I ordered by calling them, used reward points online toward AP. Worked fine, now my reward balance shows a a zero balance.

Do the "points" equal real dollar amounts? I have almost 400 reward dollars/points, and does that mean I'll have almost $400 to spend at WDW? This seems too good to be true!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter