Refillable mug question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're making generic mugs to use at different resorts, why couldn't they just keep it the way it is (resort specific mugs) and allow you to use them if you are swithching resorts. Am I missing something? :confused3

If they're making generic mugs to use at different resorts, why couldn't they just keep it the way it is (resort specific mugs) and allow you to use them if you are swithching resorts. Am I missing something? :confused3

Presumably the cost involved for Disney in designing and producing different mugs for different resorts. It's a lot more cost effective to do one design then distribute to all hotels (and balance out the shortfalls in supply) than try to keep up inventory of 20 or so different product lines.

What it will do is put to rest the refillable mug police on the DIS.;)

NEVER! this tireless bunch will be prepared to flame mug misusers and won't be stopped by rain, snow, generic mug production or dark of night.

Sadly, no, it won't. Because there are people (not saying who :scared1: ) that bought their mugs forever ago with the understanding that they are good forever! :thumbsup2

If anyone reads ZZUB'S trip reports........you know he claims to be a member of the Disney Vacation Mug Club! One mug good for the length of your contract! ;)

If anyone reads ZZUB'S trip reports........you know he claims to be a member of the Disney Vacation Mug Club! One mug good for the length of your contract! ;)

WOW!!!!! a 50 YEAR MUG!!?!?!?! Can you imagine what that thing would look like in 50 years? :)

I bet within 10 years either the fountains will be gone, or a barcode will activate the fountain ala the waterparks...

I bet within 10 years either the fountains will be gone, or a barcode will activate the fountain ala the waterparks...
My opinion is that since the bar codes at the water parks started in June 2002 when there was that the article on the Orlando Sentinal web site about the mugs and since it's now 2007, I think if WDW wanted to install the bar codes at the Resorts they would have done it by now. If they are such a good thing at the water parks what is the hold up when it comes to installing them at the Resorts? I just think that the chance to install them at the Resorts is long gone, although they might do them one day. However I still don't think it will happen.

...If they are such a good thing at the water parks what is the hold up when it comes to installing them at the Resorts?

....although they might do them one day. However I still don't think it will happen.

Uh... are you asking me that? I didn't say they were a good or bad thing at the waterparks.

So it might happen one day, but you don't think it will happen? Well I guess in 10 years you can come back to this thread and tell me you were right!!! :rotfl:

oh, and Muushka, I too was personally told by a CM back in 1997 when I bought a mug at CBR that I would get refills for free -- FOREVER. I thought it was even written down on an ad in the room next to where they had the mugs -- they were just sitting there waiting for you to use it for your trip.... but I'm not about to carry around a 10 year old mug....

oh, and Muushka, I too was personally told by a CM back in 1997 when I bought a mug at CBR that I would get refills for free -- FOREVER. I thought it was even written down on an ad in the room next to where they had the mugs
Your not the only one who thinks they saw the sign which said free refills for forever, because I think I saw the same thing at the Contemporary and the Wilderness Lodge.

Your not the only one who thinks they saw the sign which said free refills for forever, because I think I saw the same thing at the Contemporary and the Wilderness Lodge.

I never saw the sign but I was definately told that verbally by a CM as ASMO in the year 2000.

anyone got a photo of the new mug please

As to the barcodes - to do it at the waterparks is easy as it it for one day if I remember correctly- that would require the barcode match the date put in the computer thingy. To do it for stays varying from 1 to 21 may require more work. I guess they could just program it so the station won't work if the code is before the date that is in the refill station but it would leave a lot more chance for error since each barcode for each mug would have to be programmed in somehow at the point of purchase.

As to the barcodes - to do it at the waterparks is easy as it it for one day if I remember correctly- that would require the barcode match the date put in the computer thingy. To do it for stays varying from 1 to 21 may require more work. I guess they could just program it so the station won't work if the code is before the date that is in the refill station but it would leave a lot more chance for error since each barcode for each mug would have to be programmed in somehow at the point of purchase.

Right, it could be more complicated... but can't be any more difficult than the theme park pass system.... now *THAT* has got to be complicated!!! All the different types of media and rules over all of the years... I used a 10 year old ticket with a PLUS day still on it last trip without a single problem...

Wouldn't be that much tougher than assigning an "end date" to the barcode in the POS system... a CM could just ask for the day they are leaving or swipe a room key... but this probably won't happen for years...

One thing they will be able tell next year just by a quick glance from a CM is how many people are still using last year's mugs!

I never saw the sign but I was definately told that verbally by a CM as ASMO in the year 2000.

The CM at Dixie Landings in 2000 specifically used the phrase "Liquids for life" when describing the refill policy on the mugs as we purchased them. We never did bring them back though.

Someone on another thread posted that the Year of a Million Dream mugs which are being sold at a few of the Resorts now say on them "good at all beverage island stations", so that means all WDW Resorts and not just where you purchased them.

Looking at the one we purchased just last weekend at Pop it says:

"Free refills available at our Resort Beverage Islands until the end of the stay in which the mug was purchased"

Nowhere does it say at the resort you purhcased it at so presumably if you hop around you can refill other places. But it is just length of stay still.

Jim

The CM at Dixie Landings in 2000 specifically used the phrase "Liquids for life" when describing the refill policy on the mugs as we purchased them. We never did bring them back though.

That's funny....we were too. Stayed at DL July 2000 for the very first time...the CM says these are a great deal "Lifetime Refill". Well okay! Been back to WDW several times since, never did bring those mugs back to get my refills though.

Looking at the one we purchased just last weekend at Pop it says:

"Free refills available at our Resort Beverage Islands until the end of the stay in which the mug was purchased"

Nowhere does it say at the resort you purhcased it at so presumably if you hop around you can refill other places. But it is just length of stay still.

Jim

"... at our Resort Beverage Islands" could also mean that specific resort. But if the mugs are the same (for cost reasons for Disney) how would they know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter