• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Refrigerators at DVC resorts-NOW I'm worried!

We got the letter this week. We have 2 trips in Sept with 3 DVC resorts so who knows what it applies to.
We drive down and will take a cooler just in case.

I got one of those letters as well, so I called housekeeping @ AKL. they said AKL and all of the deluxe resorts refrigerators have been replaced already.

I got one of those letters as well, so I called housekeeping @ AKL. they said AKL and all of the deluxe resorts refrigerators have been replaced already.

Yay! I was worried because we're staying in a 1-bedroom Kidani the first couple of weeks of October and we really use the fridge. I can rest easy now, thank you.

We are DVC members, checking-in to a BWV studio on 9/11 and received the frig letter on Tuesday.

I've heard multiple times, and fully understand that DVC frigs are not supposed to be affected - and that makes total sense for the 1, 2, and 3 Bedroom villas with full-size frigs. But what about the studios? Couldn't those small frigs be part of the recall? Are the small frigs in the DVC studios really "different" from the small frigs in the hotels?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We are DVC members, checking-in to a BWV studio on 9/11 and received the frig letter on Tuesday.

I've heard multiple times, and fully understand that DVC frigs are not supposed to be affected - and that makes total sense for the 1, 2, and 3 Bedroom villas with full-size frigs. But what about the studios? Couldn't those small frigs be part of the recall? Are the small frigs in the DVC studios really "different" from the small frigs in the hotels?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Yes, the resort refrigerators did not have a freezer section because they used a non-traditional thermoelectric technology that could not maintain a freezer compartment.
Vs the DVC resorts that used a traditional compressor and a Freon-substitute coolant.

One article explaining the technology difference:
http://www.wusa9.com/investigation/article/245812/455/WUSA9-Probe-Compact-Fridges-At-Dangerous-Temps

I am now at Blt in a studio and my fridge doesn't work. It's there but it is not on. I had received the letter last week but then thought the dvc rooms were ok. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone but no one came. I'll keep you posted. We have a 2 year old and really need it. I hope I'm not filling ice buckets all week.

I am now at Blt in a studio and my fridge doesn't work. It's there but it is not on. I had received the letter last week but then thought the dvc rooms were ok. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone but no one came. I'll keep you posted. We have a 2 year old and really need it. I hope I'm not filling ice buckets all week.

FYI, calling the "front desk" is really calling a call center shared by all of the resorts, for real action you need to physically go to the front desk.

Did you call maintainance? They should respond. But if not, you need to go to the front desk.

We arrive at VB on Sept 1 and then at BWV on the 4th. We have't received any kind of letter. I'm going to assume that it's just a mass mailing. Now, why I haven't gotten the mass mailing is anyone's guess.
We were told at the very beginning that the DVC villas weren't going to be affected...whole different kind of fridge in the villas! The fridges in the studio are very different that the fridges in the regular resorts.

Did you call Maintenance or the front desk? Call Maintenance.

Is the light on in the refrigerator? Check the temperature dial. And if it was shut off (turned to off), it may take a while to cool down again. We had that problem several years ago at BCV in a studio.

Update - good news! we have a new one. It must have been a coincidence that mine was broken - but since we got the letter this week I figured it was the refrigerator issue. The one in the room was turned to the coldest but was not working.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter