• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Remember the OLD Poly lobby

I remember as a child in the early 80's going to the poly for our annual Disney trip. I recall tropical birds walking freely around the lobby and the grounds. My kids think I am crazy. I've looked all over YouTube and other sites at old pictures and cannot find any showing them. Does anyone else remember these birds or are my kids right?

When we visited POLY back in 1973 when I was 12, I do not remember seeing any animals inside the Great Hall. But that was a loooong time ago:laughing:

I could imagine a random bird flying in, but I think regularly having birds in the lobby would be a huge housekeeping headache for them with all the mess, plus the issue of guests getting surprises in their hair.

Maybe your memory combined the old Poly lobby with the Enchanted Tiki Birds?

They did have birds outside I do not recall inside I would need to pull up some pictures... I will say I miss the old lobby and more so not being almost pushed back up the steps coming down from the second level by people running to get in line for Ohana check in. anyway check out this link
https://waltdatedworld.com/id160.htm hopefully it will not be removed as it is in fact a Disney link or old but not forgotten...

Yes I remember birds in the lobby. I saw them every time we went. I didn't stay at the Poly until 2015 so after the refurb but we visited multiple times for dinner at Ohana.

Cool to know the OP was right and there were birds after all. I wish I had been able to stay there when they had the old lobby with the waterfall.

Hmm. We stayed twice in the 80s and I have no recollection of birds wandering around GCH at all! I feel like I would remember that. :)

Yes to the birds! I vividly remember sitting beside the waterfall enjoying the cool air, trickling water and lush foliage.

They did have birds outside I do not recall inside I would need to pull up some pictures... I will say I miss the old lobby and more so not being almost pushed back up the steps coming down from the second level by people running to get in line for Ohana check in. anyway check out this link
https://waltdatedworld.com/id160.htm hopefully it will not be removed as it is in fact a Disney link or old but not forgotten...

According to the site mentioned above, there were Macaw's by the waterfalls. Probably explains why there is a drink called the Tropical Macaw at the Tambu Lounge.

I do recall the birds in the GCH but I don't think they were just wandering around the building. They had large perches in the foliage areas.

Dave

According to the site mentioned above, there were Macaw's by the waterfalls. Probably explains why there is a drink called the Tropical Macaw at the Tambu Lounge.

Yes--the Macaw's were there into the early/mid 90s. They were beautiful and well behaved. I loved the old lobby and miss it! The birds were relocated elsewhere on property--AK maybe after it was opened or perhaps it was the old Discovery Island (near Ft. Wilderness) and then to AK, but I remember the move in maybe the mid-90s?

Now that you mentioned it, I have a vague memory of seeing a Macaw on a perch, but I do not remember birds walking around the lobby.
We also miss the original lobby and feel of it.

I was thinking--wow, ashtrays in the lobby near the seating area--inside! :)
:offtopic:
I was watching a special and they were replaying a national news station back in the 60's and my DD's looked and were shocked that the reporters were smoking while talking on TV:rotfl: How things have changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter