• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reno to Lake Tahoe

GailT

<font color=blue>I'm ba-ack!!!!<br><font color=mag
Is the ride worth it and how long does it take,. Any help would be appreciated. :)

It's a couple of hours depending on traffic. Lake Tahoe is beautiful!!! I highly recommend seeing it if you have the time.

I flew into Reno and drove to Lake Tahoe many years ago.

As I recall, the drive fairly easy, and my first view of Lake Tahoe took my breath away.

On the return trip, I stopped in Carson City and Virginia City. Both were interesting places, too.

Lake Tahoe is just beautiful! Definitely worth the trip...maybe bypass Reno altogether!

I used my delta points and they go into Reno not Tahoe so that is the reason for that. I'll stay one day in Reno and one day in Tahoe, the last day just gamble at the hotel. :lmao:
Just a long weekend typs of thinks, better then nothing, I guess

Definitely worth the drive. I can not even explain how beautiful it is, especially in winter.
Driving time depends what area of the lake you are going to. It usually take me 30-40 minutes to get to Reno on Mt.Rose Hwy, coming from Incline Village on the north shore. South shore is maybe 20-25 minutes from Incline. It really just depends on what highways you take, and the weather.

I did the drive to Tahoe from San Francisco,about 3-4 hours and it was well worth it so a 1-1.5 hour drive from Reno you should definitely do!!

I am convinced to go to lake Tahoe, I have heard great things both on here and from people I know Thanks so much for your help

I am really considering this trip in July with DH and DD (15). We'd like to spend a few days in San Fran and than a few days in Lake Tahoe. What kinds of activities are there to do in the Lake Tahoe area? Looking for hiking, whitewater rafting, things like that. What is the weather like in July?

Lake Tahoe is the most beautiful place, winter or summer!! Definately go! If you like outdoor activities, this is the place for you! They have everything there, (don't know about the "whitewater rafting") Lots of hiking trails on top of Heavenly and the view! Take the Gondala ride to top and then go hiking. there are cruises on the lake, Biking, lots of activities. Weather in July is very comfortable, not extremely hot, you can wear Jeans and maybe a sweatshirt, shorts during the day, but stay in the sun! It's a little chilly in the shade. If your the type that takes a sweater to resturants, then your like me and I carried a light sweatshirt everywhere. Do it, you won't be sorry it's beautfiul.

I am really considering this trip in July with DH and DD (15). We'd like to spend a few days in San Fran and than a few days in Lake Tahoe. What kinds of activities are there to do in the Lake Tahoe area? Looking for hiking, whitewater rafting, things like that. What is the weather like in July?
Along with all the things mentioned above (I second the Gondola Ride out of S. Shore) Depending on the water flow you can raft the Truckee River, there are outfitters for gear. You can also rent a whole variety of boats, go deep water fishing or go parasailing. There are some great beaches for spending an afternoon sunbathing, swimming and picnicing. Take a drive up Echo Summit for a beautiful view.

The weather can vary from hot to cold - be prepared. Have jeans and jackets as well as shorts and t-shirts, which incidentally is what you should do for San Fran also.

When the sun sets, the temps will drop. I have seen it snow in June. At my Aunts Lake Tahoe wedding a few years ago on Labor Day Weekend we had to be moved indoors due to rain, sleet and snow! One never knows.........

The elevation is high and this increases the risk of sunburn, wear lots of sunscreen.

as for the rafting, as mamacatnv said, you can try the Truckee. If you're coming up from the Bay area, you could also try South Fork American. And hiking, just pull off the road and go;)

Don't forget the paddle boat rides across the lake and back. We enjoyed that several years ago. It is truly a beautiful drive. Be sure to stop on the pull off places to take pics. Enjoy!!!

If you have time for nothing else, drive around the whole lake and take time to stop now and then to take in the view.

I took the South Tahoe Express from Reno Airport to Stateline NV and South Lake Tahoe CA (essentially Heavenly Ski Resort). It was about 2 hrs because of heavy snow fall. The place was beautiful but NV was just a gambling mecca. I don't really get that whole thing, but that's another story. Definitely visit Lake Tahoe.

We rafted the Middle Fork of the American River a couple years ago and it was fantastic. I highly recommend it! It's out of the Auburn-ish area, about halfway (give or take) between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe.

There is a definite difference between the two.

I've been going to the North Shore for over 45 years and I just think that it's a difference worth enjoying. Sure it's been developed out but not quite as blatantly as the South Shore.

If you're coming in from Reno, the drive over Mt Rose offers some wonderful scenic views.

Check out tahoetopia.com for more information with a North Shore flavor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter