Rent a car or take the bus?

jenelope

In my house, I *am* the kid! (also, the mom, the d
I'm planning a week long trip with my parents in September and we'll be staying in their motorhome at Ft. Wilderness. My parents are both 65 years old and my mother has some mobility issues. They're driving down as part of an extended trip and I am flying to meet them. We will be renting an ECV for my mother and I have some concerns about the busses. I normally stay at the All Stars, take a shuttle there and just rely on WDW transportation. However, because of the scooter, I am considering renting a car and skipping the busses and boats as much as possible. Is this a good idea? I've read that it's impossible to get to the MK from FW by car. But if we have to take a bus to the TTC anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to just drive there, park and catch a transfer? I haven't stayed at FW since 1986, so I'm a little unclear on my transportation options. Can anyone offer any advice?

I really don't think that you would need a car. If you attempt to drive to the MK you will need to park at the TTC and then take the boat or monorail. If you go directly from FW you can just jump on the boat and go directly to the MK. They have good transportation from FW even though you might have to some switching.

If you go to any of the parks other than MK you will need to goto either TTC or Wilderness Lodge and then to the park.

Are you renting the ECV for your whole stay or renting it at each park? The typical way to MK from FW is to take the boat, but with an ECV you may not be able to do that. The varying water levels can cause some problems. If you are renting the ECV at each park I would rent a golf cart instead of a car--it would transport your group throughout FW and directly to the buses and boat, and the bus transportation is not too bad. There are some 'trial' changes going on with buses and it sounds as if they may be improvements. I read the updates from Passporter--but I'm waiting to hear from someone who has tried the new bus routes.

51 days to go

We're renting an ECV for the whole week from an outside source. I don't want to risk going to the park and discovering that they're all sold out. Sometimes it takes my mom a while to get ready in the morning and I like having the freedom to leave one park, take a break, then go to a different park later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter