• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rental Car Question

momofbrian

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney in Nov. and staying at the CBR for 5 days. It is myself, husband and two kids. Even though the bus is available we are considering renting a car for the convenience. Our thought is, if we get there and don't need it - ok, live and learn. But if it saves us time and aggrevation it will be $$ well spent.

The other thing we are trying to decide is how to get my husband to Savannah, GA after the trip. The kids and I are flying home. It would be easiest for him to drive the four hours, but the drop off fee is high. It doesn't make sense to fly there. We aren't the most experienced travellers, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

We joined the Disney Club and also have an entertainment book. What kind of discounts should I look for.

(I get the feeling that planning this trip is an excercise in saving $$ in one area so that we can blow it on another) Thanks.

With your DC membership you can join National's Emerald Club for free and get DC discounts that amount to about 20%. Check mousesavers.com for information on other rental car discounts. For a 5 day trip having the rental car is not much more expensive than just the alternative round trip transportation to and from the airport, so even if you don't use the car at WDW you are not spending too much. We drive most places even at WDW - generally everywhere but MK where it is easier to take the bus.

Can't help you much with the drop off charge, but I would not be surprised if joining a rental companies club like the National Emerald Club might help with that also. Has to be cheaper than a 1-way air ticket - but then how is your DH getting to Orlando?

My DW and I just returned from our annual pilgrimmage to the House of Mouse. We always get a rental car. It is an essential convenience.

First, your rental car gets you directly to and from the airport (or the offsite rental car location). The shuttle bus (like Mears) is ok, if you don't mind stopping at a half dozen or more locations FIRST.

Second, your rental car provides you with convenience at WDW. The bus/boat/monorail transportation is wonderful -- no doubts there. We use it a lot, however, there are times when we want to use the car. For example, it's easier for us to zip around from one resort to another in our car than using Disney buses.

Third, if you plan to go to Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island, I highly recommend using your own car. Our experience using Disney buses to get to/from there has been less than magical. Long waits is the norm. With your own car, you can get in, get out on your schedule, not theirs.

Thanks for the info.

He's flying to Orlando with us, getting himself to Savannah somehow, then flying back from there. (The things he'll do to spend time with his golf buddies)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter