Rental cars?

I’ve thought about Turo, but the concern I have with Turo is the fact that if the car breaks down or is in an accident, where can you get a replacement? Does Turo provide for that? If my Alamo car has trouble, I can just switch it for a different one. Can I do that with Turo? I’ve had problems with Airbnb where I had to scramble for a hotel because the owner flaked and I had to pay much more for a last minute hotel. I can just imagine having to do that with a car.
Not sure to be honest. This will be our first time using Turo....

Hello,
We are going to Aulani in August and were hoping to rent a minivan for a day or two to do some day trips around the island. We have heard that it is hard to get a larger car like a minivan. Does anyone have any experience renting a minivan in Hawaii?
Thanks!

Sorry for the repost but this wasn’t answered above.

Wondering what rentals cost at Aulani per day for a Jeep 4door Wrangler and if Im just better off with airport transfers and 2 or 3 days of on-site car rentals for outings renting from the counter at Aulani? Or something else? Does that be reserved in advance? Can I get a car at Airport Alamo on arrival and return to Aulani 3-4 days into our trip?

Wondering what rentals cost at Aulani per day for a Jeep 4door Wrangler and if Im just better off with airport transfers and 2 or 3 days of on-site car rentals for outings renting from the counter at Aulani? Or something else? Does that be reserved in advance? Can I get a car at Airport Alamo on arrival and return to Aulani 3-4 days into our trip?
I think you're going to add a lot of headache for not much cost savings. I'd just rent airport-to-airport for length of stay.

You may want to check if your employer has a rental car discount. We had a minivan from National at HNL for $400/week including taxes a month ago.
Wow, that's a great benefit!
My employer uses Perks at Work, and I've never found them to be worthwhile for any of their so call "Discounts". Your post just got me to check again and the site is advertising 10% off whereas Costco 30% off.

I have a mini van reserved for August for about $600/week in Oahu and a compact in Kauai for another $600 (I reserved the mini van a couple months before Kauai), I keep checking to make sure the reservations doesn't disappear from my account...lol

Wow, that's a great benefit!
My employer uses Perks at Work, and I've never found them to be worthwhile for any of their so call "Discounts". Your post just got me to check again and the site is advertising 10% off whereas Costco 30% off.

I have a mini van reserved for August for about $600/week in Oahu and a compact in Kauai for another $600 (I reserved the mini van a couple months before Kauai), I keep checking to make sure the reservations doesn't disappear from my account...lol

We also have access to Discounts at Work, but my wife's company does tons of rentals. Because of this, they have a direct discount with National/Enterprise/Alamo. Same price a day everywhere we rent.

I think you're going to add a lot of headache for not much cost savings. I'd just rent airport-to-airport for length of stay.
You may want to check if your employer has a rental car discount. We had a minivan from National at HNL for $400/week including taxes a month ago.

Thanks. Unfortunately we don’t have access to additional or better discounts. The other programs we are entitled to (USAA, etc) or looked into are actually more than Costco.

I think we booked too close to travel to see the lower prices others are quoting above.

I agree it may just be easier to keep a vehicle all week, though with this being our first trip to Aulani and paying rack right prices for a one bedroom my husband and I feel fairly strongly that we want to spend a lot of our time enjoying the amenities of the resort/nearby area and our family will enjoy that very much. So we’re only thinking of venturing out at most two days out of our week since one of those days is really taken up with arrival (landing at 12:30pm), we’re really only there for six full days.

Bummer we can’t get free parking after spending so much on the rental and 11K on the cash reservation for Aulani.

After spending cash on a one bedroom at Aulani for this July trip and at Riviera the past two thanksgiving 10-day trips I am beginning to question why we are not just DVC members… Every time I do the math I just can’t get past how the annual dues end up changing the equation and timeline for the breakeven point! I also worry about the ability to actually book what I want with DVC because it seemed there was a limited availability or no availability for this July for DVC members when I wanted to book it. I would’ve had to know we wanted to do this trip for sure at 11 months out if an Aulani owner and at 7 if another home resort owner. And then it’s still questionable availability it seems - I especially worry about it with Riviera which is where I would want my home resort. With the resale restrictions how will there be availability to book if resale contracts can’t book anywhere else?

Anyway, I’m off topic… Early morning ramblings. Just disappointed I can’t find a better deal on car rental and flights aren’t exactly a bargain. But Google flights show we booked flights in the “lower price” of the average prices for this timeframe 😊

If possible, I would book a cheaper rental than a Jeep 4door Wrangler if there are other vehicles available. I've been to Oahu many times and have never felt the need for a 4 wheel drive. If you need a larger car, look at a SUV as those tend to be cheaper.

You can rent from the airport and return at Aulani. Some companies do charge a fee for returning a car to a different location than pickup so look for that.

I think we booked too close to travel to see the lower prices others are quoting above.

I agree it may just be easier to keep a vehicle all week, though with this being our first trip to Aulani and paying rack right prices for a one bedroom my husband and I feel fairly strongly that we want to spend a lot of our time enjoying the amenities of the resort/nearby area and our family will enjoy that very much. So we’re only thinking of venturing out at most two days out of our week since one of those days is really taken up with arrival (landing at 12:30pm), we’re really only there for six full days.

Bummer we can’t get free parking after spending so much on the rental and 11K on the cash reservation for Aulani.

After spending cash on a one bedroom at Aulani for this July trip and at Riviera the past two thanksgiving 10-day trips I am beginning to question why we are not just DVC members… Every time I do the math I just can’t get past how the annual dues end up changing the equation and timeline for the breakeven point! I also worry about the ability to actually book what I want with DVC because it seemed there was a limited availability or no availability for this July for DVC members when I wanted to book it. I would’ve had to know we wanted to do this trip for sure at 11 months out if an Aulani owner and at 7 if another home resort owner. And then it’s still questionable availability it seems - I especially worry about it with Riviera which is where I would want my home resort. With the resale restrictions how will there be availability to book if resale contracts can’t book anywhere else?

Anyway, I’m off topic… Early morning ramblings. Just disappointed I can’t find a better deal on car rental and flights aren’t exactly a bargain. But Google flights show we booked flights in the “lower price” of the average prices for this timeframe 😊

If you've never been to Hawaii, I would strongly suggest not only spending a few days outside of Aulani. We are Marriott owners and stay at the Ko Olina basically next door to Aulani. I am 100% sure there is no way we could spend most of our trip in the Ko Olina area. Yes, the beach is fun and the Aulani pool is amazing, but they aren't the destination, Oahu is the destination.

Many locals will spend a few days at Aulani so they can get the use of the amenities and then move over to the Marriott as it is often cheaper. Remember, the day you check out of Aulani you can still use the amenities that entire day. Is it possible for your family to change resorts if it's cheaper?

How much are you paying for what kind of car and when? We are going late May and the prices look $750+ for the week. Standard sized. o_O Convincing myself to go ahead and book cause the prices wont go down. Opinions?
If you or your travel partner happen to work for a large corporation check corporate discounts and join car rental company. If not i use National Rental Emerald Club. Anyone can join for free. just did an example check 7 day at MCO May 22-28 standard midsize..$304.00 INCLUDING all fees and taxes.

How much are you paying for what kind of car and when? We are going late May and the prices look $750+ for the week. Standard sized. o_O Convincing myself to go ahead and book cause the prices wont go down. Opinions?
If you or your travel partner happen to work for a large corporation check corporate discounts and join car rental company. If not i use National Rental Emerald Club. Anyone can join for free. just did an example check 7 day at MCO May 22-28 standard midsize..$304.00 INCLUDING all fees and taxes.

Sorry didnt realize it was Maui.. same check May 22-28 Emerald Club standard.344.37, full size 347.14 mini van 434.51 all toll.

Has anyone done National Emerald Aisle lately?
Curious what vehicles you have seen available.

I have this reserved for July, made the reservation a while ago.
Prices have skyrocketed lately, they are almost double what my reservation is

Thanks! I just checked the Costco travel site today and found the same vehicle for $157 less with another company so booked it through them and will cancel the Budget reservation. That savings is a chunk of my Aulani parking fee! I think we will just keep it even if we don’t venture out more than 2-3 days. As you say its less hassle and I’m all about that on vacation!

With only being there a week we also wouldn’t want to switch resorts to Marriott or something cheaper mid stay as someone suggested to save money and-do more island touring. We are not a split stay kinda family. We are an unpack and move in/relax crew. We are going to relax and enjoy the new to us Aulani and see some of the gorgeous and interesting sights but not to tour and pack in aa much as we can. Otherwise as that poster said, why pay Aulani prices if we were going to just tour everyday. There are so many places to visit and appreciate that a week could never do it justice so we will do some cool things a few days and enjoy a slower pace with access to both a vehicle and a lounge chair 😉 in beautiful places!

Last edited:
Thanks! I just checked the Costco travel site today and found the same vehicle for $157 less with another company so booked it through them and will cancel the Budget reservation. That savings is a chunk of my Aulani parking fee! I think we will just keep it even if we don’t venture out more than 2-3 days. As you say its less hassle and I’m all about that on vacation!

With only being there a week we also wouldn’t want to switch resorts to Marriott or something cheaper mid stay as someone suggested to save money and-do more island touring. We are not a split stay kinda family. We are an unpack and move in/relax crew. We are going to relax and enjoy the new to us Aulani and see some of the gorgeous and interesting sights but not to tour and pack in aa much as we can. Otherwise as that poster said, why pay Aulani prices if we were going to just tour everyday. There are so many places to visit and appreciate that a week could never do it justice so we will do some cool things a few days and enjoy a slower pace with access to both a vehicle and a lounge chair 😉 in beautiful places!
Don't forget that valet parking is the same price as self-parking, so you might as well.

I find that Costco has the best prices on rental cars, but I also found that when I search for a rental car from Costco, if I use my Ipad on ocassion its more than when I use my Iphone. Don’t know why that is but it has happened quite a few times when I seach from both devices.

Last edited:

We used it a few weeks ago. 3-4 Mustang convertibles, a few sportier sedans (Charger), 2 minivans, 1 Ford Edge.
No jeeps. Surprised at how few SUVs they had. The new rental car facility is VERY nice.

I used it mid-February and there were a lot of sedans and 1 small SUV. Ended up getting a Toyota Camry and think I paid $400 for the week (including a toddler booster seat).

I find that Costco has the best prices on rental cars, but I also found that when I search for a rental car from Costco, if I use my Ipad on ocassion its more than when I use my Iphone. Don’t know why that is but it has happened quite a few times when I seach from both devices.
Following your example I checked rental cost on the Costco Travel website on an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro. The exact same cost was returned on all three.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter